J3 vs Vmax++++

fgcason

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Frank Cason
I'm one of those caveman aviators that would prefer to do a Key West FL to Attu AK XC in a J-3 Cub at 500-1000 AGL with the door open the whole way watching the scenery go by and overnighting in pastures and mountain meadows.
A 170 or such would be ok but I'd take the Cub given the chance just because I like to see the world go by at a sensible pace that does not involve an unrecognizable blur.
Zoomie jets, turbo props, fire breathing monsters, triple digit velocities and altitudes that are prefixed with FL, forgetaboutit. I don't want any part of that nonsense.

But sometimes, very extremely rarely but just sometimes, I'm actually impressed by something going fast.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av010/060118delay.html

"New Horizons will depart Earth at a record 10 miles per second, passing the moon's orbit in just nine hours and reaching Jupiter in just 13 months." :eek:

Back to your regularly scheduled slow putting around pace...

Ironic that it's launch has been delayed due to high winds...

Steve said:
Ironic that it's launch has been delayed due to high winds...
I understand it was delayed yesterday for rain -- in Maryland! Seems the heavy rains here the night before last knocked out power at the JPL lab in the Baltimore area that is involved in controlling the flight, and there was no backup power available.

Ron Levy said:
I understand it was delayed yesterday for rain -- in Maryland! Seems the heavy rains here the night before last knocked out power at the JPL lab in the Baltimore area that is involved in controlling the flight, and there was no backup power available.

I read that the Maryland station was working just fine on backup power, but that there was no backup to the backup. Without that redundundency they were unwilling to launch. Given the relatively long launch window, I think they made a good decision.

-Skip

Watching the webcast of the launch it's hard to believe the numbers.

3 minutes after launch - 50 miles downrange at 9800 mph, shortly thereafter 149 miles downrange at 14,000 mph.

yee ha....

New Horizons on it's way!!

Ghery said:
Past the moon's orbit in 9 hours. That sucker is booking!

Apollo eat your heart out. (Though lunar orbit is not an option at the current velocity without a lot of grief and a lot of pushies)
This is the fastest spacecraft ever launched. It'll be past the moon before most people go to bed tonight.

Flight plan:
Launch: 1900 GMT
TAS: 36,000 mph
First checkpoint: Moon orbit (≈0400 GMT)
Next checkpoint: Jupiter - Feb 2007
Jupiter gravity assist: Cruise TAS + 9000 mph
Pluto: July 2015 (31,300 mph)
Kuiper Belt: 2016-2020
2020+: The great beyond...

We now have spacecraft #5 beyond solar escape velocity headed to interstellar space. :yinyang: It's not coming back - ever. :goofy: :goofy:

Shades of the Glory Days...

Frank:

I saw the launch tonight on the news and it sent tingles down my spine for it reminded me of the early days of NASA;

I like the J-3 or the Champ or even a new LSA such as the CT to see our land. And the best part we can land in a small grass strip near our home.

John

John J said:
I saw the launch tonight on the news and it sent tingles down my spine for it reminded me of the early days of NASA;

I think the unmanned flights are where the real adventure is right now. They seem to have the same mentality that NASA did in the 1960's. Too bad we're afraid to put people on top of those things nowadays though. If you want the Glory Days back, you're just going to have to risk getting your butt blown off on occasion.

John J said:
I like the J-3 or the Champ or even a new LSA such as the CT to see our land. And the best part we can land in a small grass strip near our home.

IMNSHO: If you can't do turns around a flower, land on your lawn and park in your front yard (or in your pond) you're doing something seriously wrong.

Back