I've seen it in writing 5 times now....

When people butcher the language it makes you seem like you dropped out of public high school in the deepest darkest woods of the holler and have no education and moreover, no concern for using the edumacation you do have.

"Holler" is to yell. "Hollar" is a place deep in the redneck Ozark woods.

And, it's edjumakate...at least in my neck of the hollar it is!

:goofy:

It's is short for "it is". Its is possessive. There is no debate.:D

Agreed! But you gotta admit, it's a little weird since possessive is usually 's.

But the English language is pretty screwed up in more ways than one...

My peeve is the easier, to too two... I've seen "well educated" people screw this one up!

I'm having a smile moment, presently. It's nothing to do with Raider's post, but is in line with the subject matter, and follow-up posts, of this thread. Many of you probably read your local Sunday paper, within many of which localities may be PARADE magazine insert.

Today's inside back cover features an article about a cleaner/polish product, one that received glowing reports from several fronts. I nearly fell out of my "60 Minutes" moment when I read the closing portion of the article; and I quote: "Finally, you can restore every metal and more to it's original beauty with" [product name] "easy wipe-on, wipe-off, no wait polish."

A national journalist didn't know the difference between the uses of it's and its? Or did the publisher's proof reader insert an incorrect adjustment. Perhaps the error got past both writer and editor. It was read by millions, and not observed, probably, by millions.
[Sigh]

HR

On some TV program the other night ..... " we have a viewer who write us.."

should "wrote to us".

One of my literary pet peeves is when "before he (or she) died" or "during his (or her) life" is appended to some mention of a decedent's accomplishments.

For example, "During his life, he wrote 25 novels." You mean as opposed to the ones he wrote after his life?

-Rich

"Holler" is to yell. "Hollar" is a place deep in the redneck Ozark woods.

And, it's edjumakate...at least in my neck of the hollar it is!

:goofy:

I was referring to the West Virginia Holler . . . :lol::lol:

And the spelling thing about edumacation is definitely a regional dialect . . .

On some TV program the other night ..... " we have a viewer who write us.."

should "wrote to us".

could be writes, too. english is a screwed up language -

Lets just chalk it up to the 'living' language . . . just like the living Constitution nothing actually means what it says anymore!

How about the misunderstanding of "unique"?

How many times have we heard or read something described as "very unique"?

How about all the ads on Ebay that describe something as "vintage". Really? Just because it's old?

Then there are the people who still can't speak the language properly. "Me and Bob went fishing." Before you blame the teachers, my wife corrects her students every time this happens. Then they go home, hear their parents using the improper sentence structure and the good they got at school goes out the window. :dunno:

je4atygu.jpg

ENGLISH PROBLEMS:

Reasons why the English language is so hard to learn:

The bandage was wound around the wound.

The farm was used to produce produce.

The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

We must polish the Polish furniture.

He could lead if he would get the lead out.

The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.

Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time
to present the present.

A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

I did not object to the object.

The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.

They were too close to the door to close it.

The buck does funny things when the does are present.

A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.

Footnote: I only cut/pasted the above, in which there's an error in the 2nd line. Never use reason and why, together. Reason is why. Properly: "Reasons the English - - -" or Reasons that the English - - -"

HR

Last edited:
My favorite so far was an eBay item many years ago for an iPod photo, that's exactly what the buyer got, a photo of an iPod !!

ENGLISH PROBLEMS:

Reasons why the English language is so hard to learn:

< snip >

A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

< snip >

Or better yet:

A bass was painted with a latex-base paint on the base of the bass drum, which was made of basswood.

-Rich

attachment.php

:D

Attachments

• Easy+way+to+comfort+a+Grammar+Nazi.+I+love+grammar_6b1486_3612572.jpg
    Easy+way+to+comfort+a+Grammar+Nazi.+I+love+grammar_6b1486_3612572.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 116
Ok - so its not "Should of" its "Should've." I think most people have gotten past that.....

"All the sudden."

no....

"All of a sudden."

Please....please, don't make me lose more hair.

I think you meant "it's" and not "its." Also, I think you meant "passed" not "past." Stones, glass houses, etc. :nono:

Note: I did not read the whole thread, so please forgive this post if this was covered previously.

I think you meant "it's" and not "its." Also, I think you meant "passed" not "past." Stones, glass houses, etc. :nono:

Note: I did not read the whole thread, so please forgive this post if this was covered previously.

You are right on "its" but I don't agree with "past"

You are right on "its" but I don't agree with "past"

Yeah, I guess that is the prepositional use of past - my mistake. Still even if just with "its" in mind, my point remains regarding glass houses and stones... :wink2:

Here's an employer who "...won't hire the grammatically challenged."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/03/kyle-wiens-ifixit-grammar_n_1937902.html

http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/07/i_wont_hire_people_who_use_poo.html

I both agree with him, and simultaneously feel like he's a blowhard douche that I wouldn't want to work for.

His character leaks out I'm the posting.

Who posts that, thinking its the competitive edge of their business?

The guy in the mail room doesn't need to spend evenings on grammarbook.com to be successful at his job.

I both agree with him, and simultaneously feel like he's a blowhard douche that I wouldn't want to work for.

His character leaks out I'm the posting.

Dude, "I'm the posting?" You're fired. :rofl:

The guy in the mail room doesn't need to spend evenings on grammarbook.com to be successful at his job.

Well, it appears that he's using it more of a measure of the person's attention to detail, which is valid.

Having never made it past the ninth grade, I actually don't give a good rats ass either way. Ignorance is indeed bliss.

-John

Every American says Aluminium wrong. Americans pronounce it Aluminum. Americans even spell it wrong.

If you want to learn more, send myself a PM.

(Gawd, I can barely bring myself to click on the "post" button that last one.)

Every American says Aluminium wrong. Americans pronounce it Aluminum. Americans even spell it wrong.

If you want to learn more, send myself a PM.

(Gawd, I can barely bring myself to click on the "post" button that last one.)

Aluminium has inferior properties to Aluminum. That's why we don't use it in our nucular plants.

Its/It's bugs people for some reason too.

It's feelings are hurt. - bad
It's raining outside. - good

Personally I only use "its/it's" verbally to avoid this debate.

Do you mean orally, as in speaking? As far as I can tell, the written word is verbal... Now, if you're drawing pictures, it graphical. But writing words? Verbal!

Of all the eyebrow raising or annoying things people might do, I've always found it difficult to become upset about how they use the written or spoken words. Unless of course, they are yelling or cussing at me.

I've learned long ago, that all people are not the same, contrary to what our government believes. Some people are smarter, some people are more educated, than myself. Others, not so much.

One of the many hallmarks of a good upbringing is that one would never publicly embarrass another for their shortcomings. When I witness such behavior, I do find that to be eyebrow raising, and also very offensive. A good boss, or teacher, will convey their criticisms in private.

-John

Yes, it does matter, despite what the ignorant will argue. We all should fight "the dumbing down" of the language.

Back