I've seen it in writing 5 times now....

I tend to over capitalize, but I blame this on being bi-lingual in English and German. Germans capitalize every Noun, not just proper Names.

I still have a hard time figuring out how people can not spell sir-tih-fih-kit
correctly. It does NOT start with a *&^$*! "L"!!!!!!

I've got to admit, if I were grading this, I probably wouldn't have looked twice, though I probably would have caught that "hopeful" was misspelled.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 125
Your thinking you're grammer are driving other people crazy? How come?

Grrrrrrr... A friend of mine does this. She'll send me an IM saying something like "I should of done this" and I'll respond "Yes, you should've done that." I keep correcting her and she still does it. As a former elementary school teacher, this drives me NUTS! :rolleyes:

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/couldof.html

The there/their/they're thing drives me batty too. :blush:

I know I do things that drive people crazy too. LOL!

I think all of this is having a bad affect on Nick, is it knot?

Non! Le françois et pour les femmes! Anglais et pour les hommes!

François is a name. Français is the language, and, as you pointed out, is a feminine noun, which would be La Français

et means and
est means is

:D

I think you wanted to say:
Non! La Français est pour les femmes! Anglais est pour les hommes!

Bon chance!

atleastweallstillusethespacebarandpunctuationforthemostparteverynowandthenillwriteoutanemailofonegiantwordthenidonthavetoworryaboutcapitalizingorpunctuation

The solution is Strunk & White's "The Elements of Style" - required textbook in high school. Absolutely invaluable. It was originally published in 1935 with various updates and is still one of the definitive references on grammar. At a mere 92 pages, you can't go wrong.

And then, of course, is the more contemporary "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss.

My favorite is "I have got...."

It's either "I got..." or "I have..."

George Gershwin taught me grammar.

My favorite is "I have got...."

It's either "I got..." or "I have..."

George Gershwin taught me grammar.

Thank you, thank you, and again. I would've(note the missing "of") mentioned that one but it's in such common use I figured I'd get flamed. We learned in early schooling to "never use have with got." Apparently, that lesson was lost on the majority of population. And the other killer is "reason why." National news announcers say it; our local TV weather man uses the phrase; but it's incorrect. "Reason" is "why." Correctly, it's to be spoken as, "The reason I'll not be attending," or "The reason that I'll not be attending," but never "The reason why I'll not be attending."

And the beat would've been off if Sinatra had sung, "I have got the world on a string;" or "I have got plenty of nuttin." Note to self: "Go to bed, Jer."

HR

"y'all's" is not plural, it is possessive. As in, "y'all's house is on fire!" or "y'all's wings is up, come 'n get 'em."

I find it quite humorous when someone uses an article or report to justify their position and that particular document is full of misspellings and glaring grammatical errors. At a previous company, I worked with an English major who seemed to take great delight in abundant use of the red pen to my memos. I vowed to make my writing better.

I'm out of practice.

Your thinking you're grammer are driving other people crazy? How come?

When I was in high school, my sister was in middle school. We absolutely hated each other - but we are best friends now though. Anyway, she was pi$$sed at me for something and wrote me an angry letter. I promptly used a red pen to correct all of her grammar and spelling mistakes, then I hung it on her bedroom door. oooooooh.... She still brings that one up! I'm trying not to be so anal about it anymore, but it's tough!!!

Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge said:
The first pilot license was issued to William P. MacCracken, Jr.

The wedgie thingie that you kick under the tire is a chock.

Chalk is what you use to outline the airplane on the runway after a bad landing.

Last edited:
Oh yes, and you put clothes on a hanger, and your plane in a hangar.

a guy I worked with long ago (pre-google) thought the phrase was "for all in tents and porpoises" and said he never could figure out what the heck that meant.

"Cut the mustard" is one of mine. I maintain it's "cut muster" but I even heard it on Top Gear in the U.K.

I brought it up on a radio talk show on the topic with college profs and they hadn't heard my theory. I will fight the crusade until my dying breath! :mad3:
I think not.
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-cut1.htm
One explanation that is sometimes given is that the phrase is a corrupted form of cut the muster, in some way connected with the military muster or assembly of troops for inspection. However, if you cut a muster, presumably you do not attend it, so how this can be connected with the idea of excellence is far from clear. The clinching argument for this not being the source is that nobody has found the supposedly original phrase cut the muster anywhere.

The one that bothers me, especially when spoken, is when a possessive proper noun that ends in the letter 's' has apostrophe-'s' added to it.

It's (see, I used that correctly!) "Jesus' clothes", not "Jesus's clothes." JESUSUS!!!

Then there's "nucular", but that's a topic for the Spin Zone! ;-)

There's nothing wrong with "nucular". It's a regionalism, not (as some would have it) a sign of ignorance. If it were, then we'd see the same slams that were directed at one recent target also directed at another, who was one of the US Navy's first nuclear engineers before resigning his commission after the death of his father: the 39th President of the US, Jimmy Carter.

That is not proper, actually. It is "Jesus's" because "Jesus" is not plural

Looks like it can go either way. Source: http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/apostrophe.htm

Special problems arise when you create possessives for names already ending in s. Is it Charles’ Wain or Charles’s Wain? The latter sounds and looks better. Is it St James’s Street or St James’ Street? Custom and rhythm combine in urging the former. Jones’s house indicates that only one person named Jones lives there; if a family does, it should be the Joneses’ house, which sounds the same but looks odd on the page. Until recently, the usual form was Jesus’, not Jesus’s, but this tradition, which has been described in Hart’s Rules as “an acceptable liturgical archaism”, was finally broken in the New English Bible of the mid-sixties.

Despite this special case, there’s a tendency towards using just a terminating apostrophe in names ending in s. A particularly annoying example is that of a famous London hospital; when I was very young and had been mildly naughty, my father, a true-bred Londoner, would jokingly offer me his clenched fists, naming one sudden death and the other St Thomas’s Hospital. It’s been called that for generations, the final s improving the flow of the name, but it is now officially run by the Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital NHS Trust.

The one that bothers me, especially when spoken, is when a possessive proper noun that ends in the letter 's' has apostrophe-'s' added to it.

It's (see, I used that correctly!) "Jesus' clothes", not "Jesus's clothes." JESUSUS!!!

That's when you ask, "So how many Jesuses were there, anyway?" ;)

As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I'm found myself guilty of saying "noo-kyoo-lurr" more than a few times. :redface:

But that doesn't make it right. :D

There's nothing wrong with "nucular". It's a regionalism, not (as some would have it) a sign of ignorance. If it were, then we'd see the same slams that were directed at one recent target also directed at another, who was one of the US Navy's first nuclear engineers before resigning his commission after the death of his father: the 39th President of the US, Jimmy Carter.

So, then, they're both wrong. :yes:

Oooh! I just thought of another one or three.

First: "photo dot jif" (photo.gif). GIF stands for Graphic Interchange Format. So it's "gif" as in "Gifford". If it was dot "jif" like the peanut butter, then it would have to be "Giraffic Interchange Format." And I've never heard even the Jif-ers pronounce it that way.

Next: "an historic occasion." Since when is H a vowel? "*A* historic occasion", or "*An* occasion."

I'll remember the third one later.

I've been mourning the fact that the word "cannot" seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

The past tense of lead, which is led, also seems to be falling out of use.

Next: "an historic occasion." Since when is H a vowel? "*A* historic occasion", or "*An* occasion."

Either use is proper, especially for those folks who tend to drop leading Hs.

Correct. The key for when to use "a" vs "an" is not what the next LETTER is, but what the next SOUND is. If it's a vowel SOUND, you use "an".

"an heirloom", not "a heirloom".

Another classic example: "She earned an MBA"... because it's "em-bee-ay"

Or, to keep this aviation related, "an NTSB report". "en-tee-ess-bee"

Last edited:
Do you realize that if you wait long enough, the words and word usages that were sooo wrong, so unacceptable, become - over time - not only commonplace, but they are actually adopted as acceptable in newer editions of your standard dictionary!
Is anyone old enough to remember when "ain't" was not in the dictionary - in fact, its use was forbidden by educators and parents alike?
Read and weep:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ain't
They embrace it by merely including it.

I heard on the radio yesterday that they are adding a new word to the english dictionary every 90 minutes!!!

I used to deny it, even fight it.....but I am getting more and more (here goes): "what-ever!" about it!!

If ya cain't beat em; join em (,y'all)!

ooo. should that be a comma, or a semicolon between 'em' and 'join'?(old habits die hard!)

Correct. The key for when to use "a" vs "an" is not what the next LETTER is, but what the next SOUND is. If it's a vowel SOUND, you use "an".

True, but I've never heard anyone say "an istoric occasion." In fact, most of the people who use that phrase seem to really emphasize the HHHHHHHissssss-toric occasion. Which makes "an" wrong.

In the depths of memory I thought you always used the article "a" before an acronym regardless if it begins with a vowel, or a consonant sound. However, Internet references say that the rule is the same as other words, and my old Harbrace College Handbook (which I still reference a lot) doesn't mention the issue at all :idea:

Oooh! I just thought of another one or three.

First: "photo dot jif" (photo.gif). GIF stands for Graphic Interchange Format. So it's "gif" as in "Gifford". If it was dot "jif" like the peanut butter, then it would have to be "Giraffic Interchange Format." And I've never heard even the Jif-ers pronounce it that way.

I'll remember the third one later.

I happen to be a jiffer, not a giffer. Reason being? Any "g" followed by an "i" is a soft g, not a hard g.

That said....I break that tradition to say "gigabyte" because I'm not a Back to the Future nerd. I'll note that I've only ever heard Mac users say "gigabyte" with a soft g.

Back