I've gone to the dark side

bkreager

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RedTail
8 months ago I applied to two regional airlines and lo-and-behold I got a job offer from both of them. For whatever reason, I chose the one that offered no firm class date nor aircraft type, and declined the other offer for a class in the E-170 that would've started at the perfect time for me. It turns out that decision was a good one, because I wouldn't have made it through the 170 class before being furloughed. About a month later, I found myself ready to start class in the CRJ-200, so I quit my CFI gig and started looking for places to live in Minneapolis. The airline then promptly canceled all new hire classes and basically told us that they had no idea when classes would start again.

So that put me without a job, moving back in with the parents, about 1000 hrs, and oil prices skyrocketing. Sweet. So I promptly applied to American Eagle...the next day they announced that they would be canceling all classes and possibly furloughing.

So I applied to ComAir...shortly thereafter they announced that they would be furloughing.

At that point I applied to Colgan and AirNet, to my utter surprise they did not announce furloughs the next day, but granted me interviews! I read the gouges on the interview process and found that some people had problems with Colgan's written test, but you could waive that part if you had the ATP written done. So I went off to ATP flight school to do my written test and while I was taking the test, I got an email from Colgan telling me that they were canceling my interview and they wouldn't know when they would be hiring again. Ugh. About a day later I found myself at the AirNet interview, having been on the road for something like 15 hours in the previous 24, and having had 2 hours of sleep. I quickly learned that I cannot perform rapid fire approaches with engine failures and instrument failures in a Frasca having had two hours of sleep. A few days later I got confirmation that they didn't want some kid to fly their airplanes that nearly Vmc'd the sim during the interview.

At that point, I applied to every flying job I could find that didn't involve flight instructing and that I had the flight time for. I even hit the low of applying to Great Lakes. Yes, I could fly a Beech 1900 for $5,000 per year less than I made as a CFI. I can't remember how many places got my application, but two responded, Cape Air and Linear Air. Both said that I needed more flight time.

As August rolled around, I had drained my bank account and was ready to go back to flight instructing when I was awakened in the early hour of 11am to someone calling from HR. It was someone from the first airline, and they wanted me in class in two weeks! Needless to say, I accepted and couldn't have been happier to have the realistic notion of a paycheck coming in only a few weeks.

A few days later, Colgan and Great Lakes called to offer interviews. Go figure.

I started class in early September along with 30-some of my newest co-workers and we started filling our heads with more numbers and regs than I really ever thought were necessary. Fast-forward two months and I found myself in the pointy end of a Saab 340 with 15 unsuspecting souls in the back. Somehow, we all managed to get to somewhere in Ohio safely with a still functioning airplane. Yes, I even landed 5 times that day and it didn't take full power to get to the gate.

Today I've been unpacking at my new apt 30 minutes away from Detroit while Bonanzas, Cessnas, and Pipers have been flying overhead. I'll have to scope out the FBOs here and see what I can rent sometime. The dark side hasn't completely consumed me yet.

Good for you for sticking with it and finding a job in today's market! :yes:

Good for you! Sticktoitness and and persistence pays off!

Congrats!

:cheers:

Let us know how things progress. We middle-aged airline wish-we-were's love hearing the stories. Even if most of the time flying for pay seems less romantic than the movies make it out to be.....

Congrats. I hope things work out for you!!!!!:cheers:

Ben, great writeup. Get-home-itis is bad. Get-flying-job-itis isn't. Glad you stuck it out... that had to have been a terribly frustrating process!

Congrats, Ben! Looks like you finally made it away from Iowa's cold clutches.

Congrats Ben, and welcome to the dark side! It's actually not that bad over here, most of the time. I know a couple of captains at your place, and they all love it; sounds like you made a good choice. And as a fellow turbo-proper - if faced with the opportunity of a jet transition always remember 1) it's better to screw your way through the sky than suck and blow, and 2)chicks dig beta. Have fun!

excellent Ben, good to hear from you again.

I thought you were going to tell me they're for boats! I like you other mantra too, unfortunately if I lived by that I wouldn't get paid...

Back when I was in the Navy my first squadron was VQ-1. We had land based aircraft (EP-3B/E's) and carrier based (EA-3 Skywarrior).

The EA-3 guys had patches saying "Props are for Kids", a little in squadron rivalry.

Ha! Nothin' like the "dance of the whale" on final.

Ben - congrats! Man, talk about the kiss of death - Ben calls and the next day they announce layoffs! Yikes! Don't call us! Please!!!! :)

Congratulations on being paid to fly! Yours is a good story in today's severe turbulent 121 world. Enjoy it and keep reporting.

Back when I was in the Navy my first squadron was VQ-1. We had land based aircraft (EP-3B/E's) and carrier based (EA-3 Skywarrior).

The EA-3 guys had patches saying "Props are for Kids", a little in squadron rivalry.
Skywarrior pilots needed more than turbines... they needed a prayer. Once the engine quits, that big anvil won't glide for long. The A-3D wasn't called "All Three Dead" for nothing.

Skywarrior pilots needed more than turbines... they needed a prayer. Once the engine quits, that big anvil won't glide for long. The A-3D wasn't called "All Three Dead" for nothing.
And they had nowhere near the duration of the P3.

Bkreager, congratulations. At least you already know first hand how the business really is.

I don't know where you got your information from, but they actually flew well on one engine. Sure you aren't confusing a Douglas A-3 Skywarrior with a Skyraider?

The Skywarrior had a refueling probe. Time in flight was a consideration of how many tankers were airborne. We had a few times where they flew 12 hour missions.
We had a few times when we flew 29 hour missions.....you have to fly 'em in swedish watches to do that.

I don't know where you got your information from, but they actually flew well on one engine. Sure you aren't confusing a Douglas A-3 Skywarrior with a Skyraider?
Nope, the Skywarrior. I watched one go launch and trap on the Ike a couple times a day. Besides, I was referring to glide as in no engines. I see I left an "s" off that word in my previous post.

The Skywarrior on the Ike was actually an EA-3 from VQ-2. I don't believe it ever carried weapons since it had other support available. My understanding is it was strictly for ECM which I never understood since that was the primary purpose of the EA-6B.

Nope, the Skywarrior. I watched one go launch and trap on the Ike a couple times a day. Besides, I was referring to glide as in no engines. I see I left an "s" off that word in my previous post.

The Skywarrior on the Ike was actually an EA-3 from VQ-2. I don't believe it ever carried weapons since it had other support available. My understanding is it was strictly for ECM which I never understood since that was the primary purpose of the EA-6B.

My apologies for the thread creep on the young fellow finding employment.

Perhaps we need a thread on military aircraft we served on. Anyway, the mission of the EA-3B and the EA-6B are two entirely different missions. Never heard of one having a double flameout.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I just got done with four days of reserve where I didn't fly for a minute. I was about to comment how easy this job is, then I took a look at my schedule for December, which includes 92 hours of flying...ouch.

And they had nowhere near the duration of the P3.

Bkreager, congratulations. At least you already know first hand how the business really is.

P3????????????????

Over the fence in Brunswick.

HR

Attachments

• Flash NAS353.jpg
    Flash NAS353.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 13
Excuse me while I step over this military talk to wish Ben congratulations. :)

Way to go, Ben!

Back