It's your engine

It wasn't like that at all. The adjuster recommended two shops whose work he was familiar with. And yes, I was free to choose my own, which I did.

FWIW, the two shops he recommended were higher priced than what I went with.
Good show, But I suspect you are the exception, not the rule.
I deal with insurance companies regularly. And have customers tell me that their ins. company wants them to take it to XYZ shop. Mabe it's just a suggestion on the part of the ins. company, but either way, I allways tell my customers that it's their choice who does the repairs, not the ins. company.

already done

Won't they want to know cost to repair?
How would you determine that number?

I hit a rubber cone left by some one out on taxi way, I turn and I ear a tump, tower told me something flown away from the plane so I turn back then when on my truck and found a half rubber cone, plane felt fine, my A&P is a good friend of mine, he check the accessories gear and was fine, insurance adjuster insist on tear down, glad we did, we found microcracks on crankshaft so new shaft was installed, I really don't recall losing rpms and I was at idle turning on a taxi way. From my experience if you have insurance use it and do it right, is no way to know till you tear that engine. Also prop limits blocks were compromised so I got complete prop overhaul.
My total cost out of pocket was 6k based on engine prorated time, but I did end it with a bottom overhaul and 0 time prop.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 13
Prop blocks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    900.2 KB · Views: 7
Minimal scuff on prop and quite some damage to the engine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    768.4 KB · Views: 18
My gut feeling is all that damage was NOT caused by hitting a rubber cone, but from years of previous service.. ie; normal wear and tear,,IMHO..

My gut feeling is all that damage was NOT caused by hitting a rubber cone, but from years of previous service.. ie; normal wear and tear,,IMHO..

Engine was at 400hrs since overhaul, but the old boy was abused and neglected by previous owner, example here, flaps inspection access, got birdies?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    658 KB · Views: 16
Here is now after much much love

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 11
Progress so far.

The spare crank was sent to aircraft specialities, and it failed, due to pitting of the prop flange, so we are now in progress of complying to the TCM service bulletin on the crank and other steel parts that was removed from the engine.

The engine is torn down, cleaned and all components have been inspected and ready for re-assembly.
My preliminary inspection of the crank shows no damage, flange runout was .000" as new.

Last edited:
Back