it's tougher if you're stupid."

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
How do these people survive?

ONE Recently, when I went to McDonald's I saw on the menu that you could have an order of 6, 9 or 12 Chicken McNuggets. I asked for a half dozen nuggets. "We don't have half dozen nuggets," said the teenager at the counter. "You don't?" I replied. "We only have six, nine, or twelve," was the reply. "So I can't order a half dozen nuggets, but I can order six?" "That's right." So I shook my head and ordered six McNuggets

TWO I was checking out at the local Wal-Mart with just a few items and the lady behind me put her things on the belt close to mine. I picked up one of those "dividers" that they keep by the cash register and placed it between our things so they wouldn't get mixed. After the girl had scanned all of my items, she picked up the "divider", looking it all over for the bar code so she could scan it. Not finding the bar code she said to me, "Do you know how much this is?" I said to her "I've changed my mind, I don't think I'll buy that today." She said "OK," and I paid her for the things and left. She had no clue to what had just happened.

THREE A lady at work was seen putting a credit card into her floppy drive and pulling it out very quickly. When I inquired as to what she was doing, she said she was shopping on the Internet and they kept asking for a credit card number, so she was using the ATM "thingy."

FOUR I recently saw a distraught young lady weeping beside her car. "Do you need some help?" I asked. She replied, "I knew I should have replaced the battery to this remote door unlocker. Now I can't get into my car. Do you think they (pointing to a distant convenience store) would have a battery to fit this?" "Hmmm, I dunno. Do you have an alarm, too?" I asked. "No, just this remote thingy," she answered, handing it and the car keys to me. As I took the key and manually unlocked the door, I replied, "Why don't you drive over there and check about the batteries. It's a long walk."

FIVE Several years ago, we had an Intern who was none too swift. One day she was typing and turned to a secretary and said, "I'm almost out of typing paper. What do I do?" "Just use copier machine paper," the secretary told her. With that, the intern took her last remaining blank piece of paper, put it on the photocopier and proceeded to make five "blank" copies.

SIX A mother calls 911 very worried asking the dispatcher if she needs to take her kid to the emergency room, the kid was eating ants. The dispatcher tells her to give the kid some Benadryl and should be fine, the mother says, I just gave him some ant killer..... Dispatcher: Rush him in to emergency!

Life is tough...

it's tougher if you're stupid."

You even been in front of the TV and want to turn it on but the remote is across the room on the coach ... so you walk to over to the remote.

- True: The auto parts store has oil for 69 cents a quart. He picks up a case. The checkout girl says "Hmmmmm 12 bottles. What's is 12 divided by 69 cents?"

Why do the fast food places not think it's necessary that the employee who answers the drive through speak English?

Because society not only allows it, but promotes it?

Ever give a checkout person 20$ for a $16.19 purchase....and just after they enter the $20 into the electronics...hand them a quarter!!
For a couple of seconds they have no clue what to give you back! No hope of even figuring it out. They are trained to only hand back what the machine tells them, and cannot do simple arithmetic in their head anymore.
Usually they have to enter the $20.25 into "payment received" before they can figure it out. Well before the machine figures it for them.

Here's the thing - there needs to be a place for those with lower intelligence to work. I think I'd rather have them working at fast food restaurants and such than with me. They have a really hard job, and I assure you its because of decisions their intelligence lead to.

Because society not only allows it, but promotes it?

Ever give a checkout person 20$ for a $16.19 purchase....and just after they enter the $20 into the electronics...hand them a quarter!!
For a couple of seconds they have no clue what to give you back! No hope of even figuring it out. They are trained to only hand back what the machine tells them, and cannot do simple arithmetic in their head anymore.
Usually they have to enter the $20.25 into "payment received" before they can figure it out. Well before the machine figures it for them.

Why would you do that!:lightning:

Why would you do that!:lightning:

I've had it happen a few times when I've realized I had change after they took my bill. I figure no biggie, the drawer's open, they can make change, everything will still be fine. You'd think I was holding them at gunpoint. Several times I've had them give me the change the register told me plus the quarter or whatever I gave them, thus negating my purpose. Once I mentioned I was supposed to get an extra dollar (since I was covering the change portion) and the girl gave me the entire amount on her little screen, a dollar extra, and the change I gave her.

Anyone seen the bait and switch "making change for a 20" thing that cons will do in Vegas? It's probably easier to do in a mall. Yeesh.

Yup. Last week. At Home Depot. The kid was totally lost. I gave him
a change counting lesson. He's like .. "oh cool .. thanks".

You know why it's sooo hard to make things "idiot proof"?

Because idiots are sooo clever!

Yup. Last week. At Home Depot. The kid was totally lost. I gave him
a change counting lesson. He's like .. "oh cool .. thanks".

I remember being about 12 when I asked my mom how that worked. She told me how to do it. With some of th "kids" behind the register I have showed them too when there was not a line. They thanked me and told me they had always wondered how that worked.

Anyone seen the bait and switch "making change for a 20" thing that cons will do in Vegas? It's probably easier to do in a mall. Yeesh.

It happened to employees all the time when I worked for Best Buy. Some of them weren't exactly stupid either. But when you are doing 10 things at once and all of the sudden someone completely breaks your cycle and method that you have used for the last seven hours it can throw you off.

First it starts off as some simple request. They'll wait until you have the drawer open and all the sudden give you more change. After you start to sort this out. They'll hand you more money and ask for change or they'll ask for something else. By the end of it you completely lost track of what went where and they walk out with an extra $20..or in some cases a few hundred dollars.

You wouldn't have liked me. I never liked handling cash and *very* rarely ever had to do it. Maybe once every other month. If someone gave me a $10 for an item and waited until I had the drawer open and tried to give me something else. If it was something obvious like maybe a $20 instead of the $10 fine. But otherwise I'm sorry-- No. It was that simple. If you don't like that use your credit card or go elsewhere. I'm not going to risk someone trying to confuse me when I'm working on ten computers and helping five customers at the same time. Get confused. Lose money. Lose your job. Not worth it.

The people that do this are GOOD. They have this planned out. They've practiced.

If you don't like that use your credit card or go elsewhere. I'm not going to risk someone trying to confuse me when I'm working on ten computers and helping five customers at the same time. Get confused. Lose money. Lose your job. Not worth it.

Precisely. There's a reason my drawer was never off when I worked retail. Sure customers may get antsy, but better them get huffy than me accidentally give them the wrong amount and get written up or fired (and when you mention that you want to make sure you don't accidentally shortchange them, they tend to calm down, at least a small amount...)

The day a urinal starts talking to me is the day I consider handing in my medical. :eek:

-Rich

Watch the Battle of the Jaywalk All Stars. On Leno. "Name the first President"... "Uh, I know, Jay, George Nixon"... Sigh.

FIVE Several years ago, we had an Intern who was none too swift. One day she was typing and turned to a secretary and said, "I'm almost out of typing paper. What do I do?" "Just use copier machine paper," the secretary told her. With that, the intern took her last remaining blank piece of paper, put it on the photocopier and proceeded to make five "blank" copies.

I'd like to think this is simply Internet fodder, but alas I've actually witnessed this exact thing. More than once.

I was in Wally World a few years ago and was picking up some feeder goldfish for my Oscar when I still had a fish tank. The goldfish were marked ¢.99/each

So I asked for 10 and handed the guy a dime and told him to keep the change. He said that it was going to be ten dollars and I argued that .99 cents is just under a penny and if he meant for them to be 99 cents the proper marking would have $.99. Eventually we got the manager over and I paid my dime and he had to educate his employee about the difference between cents and dollars.

I was checking out of Kroger in the fast lane (oxymoron). The checker was obviously new. Won't mention hair color <g>

Put the rubber spacer between my order and the gal's in front of me. She had several problems with the order in front of mine.

When she got to me she picked up the rubber spacer bar and tried to scan it. She tried a couple times, then asked if I had seen the price on it.

Having had quite a bit of time to contemplate the situation, I told here I had changed my mind and no longer wanted that item <g>

Best,

Dave

Last edited:

Real simple. Civilization. It is resulting in the dumbing down of the human race. People who in the past would not have survived, now survive. And breed. We're not cleansing the gene pool like we used to.

I'd like to think this is simply Internet fodder, but alas I've actually witnessed this exact thing. More than once.

Had an assistant tell me one time she couldn't fax something for me because the copy machine was out of paper. "Why do you need copy paper to send a fax?" I asked. Because, she says, "I have to make a copy of the original to have something to fax. You want to keep the original don't you?!" Well... silly me.

The local radio here today reported a guy called the police to report his marijuana had been stolen. Police responded, searched the premisis and found more more pot. Off to jail he went.

Best,

Dave

I had to take a hand held scanner back to Walmart for my father one time (Long time ago-he bought the thing, not me). Nothing we tried would make it work with his PC. The diskette that came with it had only a driver. No software.

Took it back to Walmart and was told that since it was a "computer program", they couldn't give me a refund because the box had been opened, but they could exchange it for an exact replacement. Nothing I tried would convince them that a driver on a diskette was NOT at computer program. I tried and tried to explain that the driver was usless without the hardware to go with it. All they'd do is point to a sign on the wall that says opened software could be returned for an exact exchange only. Refunds on unopened software only.

Finally, I asked: "So, let me be sure I understand. You can't give me my money back only because the shrink wrap has been opened..correct? "Yep", they say. Ok, "I want to exchange this for another one just like it." I go get the new one... they do the exchange. I got out of line, walked to the back of the line and worked my way up to the counter.

When I get to the counter, I tell the lady (same one) that I'd like to return this scanner for a refund. "We can't do that!" she says. "Why?" I asked, "This one still has the shrink wrap on it. It's unopened!". The manager decided they would give me my refund. :D

Real simple. Civilization. It is resulting in the dumbing down of the human race. People who in the past would not have survived, now survive. And breed. We're not cleansing the gene pool like we used to.

And that has me worried. "Smart" people are choosing to be more career-oriented these days, and they are not even getting married, much less having kids.

Excessively dumb people are having lots of kids. They're not getting married either, though.

I never really thought of this until I listened to EarthCore by Scott Sigler which is now out in book form (like all of his books, it was a podcast first.) In that book, an isolated segment of a species realizes that due to the small size of their group, eventually the almost-inbreeding that's going on will result in the dumbing down of their group. The last remaining smart ones devise some machines that act as caretakers to ensure survival of what's left of their species. Kinda sad... And thought-provoking.

The local radio here today reported a guy called the police to report his marijuana had been stolen. Police responded, searched the premisis and found more more pot. Off to jail he went.

That happens about 20 times a year. It's a cliche' on Fark.

That happens about 20 times a year. It's a cliche' on Fark.

Happens almost as often as the fools that give you consent to search a vehicle KNOWING they have dope in the car. :dunno:

Is the dope in the front seat, or elsewhere :D

Best,

Dave
Talking to one of the friendly police ossifers here they tell me I would be surprised how many times they say something like "Look, we know you have some drugs on you, why don't you just save both of us some time and hand it over" and the person they are talking to just shrugs, reach into their pocket (purse, car, shoe, etc.) and hand some drugs over.

My response - No I wouldn't.

Talking to one of the friendly police ossifers here they tell me I would be surprised how many times they say something like "Look, we know you have some drugs on you, why don't you just save both of us some time and hand it over" and the person they are talking to just shrugs, reach into their pocket (purse, car, shoe, etc.) and hand some drugs over.

My response - No I wouldn't.

Yep..happens all the time. I give 'em points for being honest. :D

One of our clerks couldn't figure out why the computer and projector she set up in the conference room wouldn't work. I looked it over and tried to think of a nice way to tell her she had the power strip plugged into itself.

Is the dope in the front seat, or elsewhere :D

Best,

Dave

Well, if they have A dope in the car, it's usually the fool sitting on the passenger side trying to stuff the drugs under the seat (or where ever) without realizing the second officer is standing outside the car watching him do it. :yes:

Back