It's that time of year again-- VFR into KLAS or KHND- any recent experiences?

thebruce

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
the Bruce
I was lucky enough to get in to KLAS VFR last year, parked for two nights, and got out VFR, and lived to tell and write about it. I'm going back to Las Vegas in about two weeks, and wanted to see if anyone had recent tales to tell, FBO unadvertised bargains, or any other useful info for planning purposes. Thanks.

I was at Henderson a couple months ago. They took good care of me and I had several issues because we were stuck due to weather.

Never has a problem getting in or out of KLAS VFR, as long as you can keep it moving in all regards and keep it tight, only issue with KLAS IMO is its $$$

KVGT (N. Las Vegas) $15/night tie down fee, first night waived with 20+ gallon purchase. 100LL is about $4.60 there right now. Hertz, bus and cabs in terminal. 8mi from strip.

I've done VGT and HND and never really had any problem with either one. Both left me feeling like they cared about my business. Haven't done LAS but isn't their FBO hellaciously expensive?

Looking to head out there from the San Diego area in a few weeks, VFR... looking at mid May. I've heard that KLAS is $$$ and only heard positive about HND, so route will likely take me to HND. For those that have gone out there... is 8,500 and 7,500 a good altitude in your experience or do you try to push it higher?

Looking to head out there from the San Diego area in a few weeks, VFR... looking at mid May. I've heard that KLAS is $$$ and only heard positive about HND, so route will likely take me to HND. For those that have gone out there... is 8,500 and 7,500 a good altitude in your experience or do you try to push it higher?

It's been since the Monkey flight, so a while ago, and I went to VGT that time instead of my usual HND, but as far as altitudes go, you're going to have to wedge in underneath the Bravo most of the time there anyway. Clearances into the Bravo itself are pretty hit and miss and mostly miss. The valley is just too small and their MO seems to be "no", which I can understand.

I've liked both HND and VGT. Can't really say anything bad about either experience. The ramps are very big and they have a LOT of transients especially on weekends so expect a bit of a hike or both places will usually offer a golf cart or van ride if you find yourself out in the distance gazing at the terminal building, depending on when you arrive.

Another PoA member gave me a ride from
VGT to my hotel but either place seemed well covered by rental cars or cabs or whatever. Probably Uber and Lyft type stuff if you do those, also. HND is further from the strip but still a quick highway ride up, so factor that in.

I haven't bothered with LAS. Some people swear by it and pay the price. For some reason paying for cabs doesn't bother me, but high ramp fees grind my gears. So I avoid.

Have the taxi diagram out for VGT. It's a little wonky like anyplace with parallels. I mean, have it out for both, but heads up on VGT. Always worth a peek ahead of time at either one but you'll likely have runway crossings during taxi at VGT so pay attention.

The military folk to the northwest of VGT are great. No problems there. They'll let you through their airspace with handoffs from Center if you're on Flight Following and it's all nice and professional. But I still couldn't clip that Bravo corner. Had to get under it. That part is just normal for Vegas it seems.

I've liked both HND and VGT. Can't really say anything bad about either experience. The ramps are very big and they have a LOT of transients especially on weekends so expect a bit of a hike or both places will usually offer a golf cart or van ride if you find yourself out in the distance gazing at the terminal building, depending on when you arrive.
Thanks for the tips and feedback! I'll stick to HND for now and will check out North Vegas next time around. For the routing, I'm torn between more or less a straight shot from the San Diego area up past the JLI VOR and going up between the Bristol and Turtle MOA, or flying north through the Cajon pass then following the 15 most of the way. The former is about 30nm shorter but flies over a lot more open inhospitable terrain. If I go up through the Cajon pass and follow the 15 more or less it still keeps me clear of the MOAs, adds about 15 minutes to the route, but feels substantially safer as far as proximity to alternates, and worst case scenario the highway

There' ongoing construction at the ramp of HND which makes it a bit different, you park way further out from the terminal than normally. No Ubers last time I was there and taxi was a lot of money. For one night, I'd go to LAS (free FBO shuttle to the hotel). For more than one, VGT.

Thanks for the tips and feedback! I'll stick to HND for now

Both HND and VGT are equivalent when avoiding landing at LAS. No MOA should be avoided but Restricteds require a call and I never fly in them. If you want to go to VGT either let them vector you or request the Cortez Transition . HND appears to be easier but you still need to talk to both SoCal and HND tower to get down. You can try to simply fly under the shelves to avoid the Bravo clearance for both airports but why? Let LAS get you thru their airspace, it's safer.

HND has a free shuttle (+ tip) to the strip but not from the strip back to HND. If I remember correctly it runs at 10, 2, and 4. You have to call the day of your arrival to let them know you are coming and ask for the shuttle. I've used it once and the other time I just used Uber.

HND is ~$60 cab ride to the strip. VGT is not a bad place to land.

Back