It's suddenly real

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Checkride scheduled for Dec, 9th. The sweat machine is now engaged.

Bill Jennings said:
You will do fine, get your lost comms procedure down for the oral, in fact get the oral book book and start reading. Keep doing practice for the checkride with your CFI and all will be well.

Bill Jennings said:
You'll do great. Come on down to Atlanta to shoot approaches anytime! (well, except KATL)

Well Bill Good Luck ,but i dont think you'll need it. someday i might need it though (working on IR ) Dave G.

Best of luck to you.

Get a good nights sleep the night before and try not to "stress" on it too much. If your CFI is anything like mine was, his "practice" checkrides will have been a lot tougher than the real thing.

Bill Jennings said:

I'm sure from reading your posts that you are going to do fine. Make your examiner say "wow!" and you're golden!

Pray for good weather. Do don't want to do all that sweating and then have to scrub the ride! Good luck.

Good luck, Bill. Not that you will need it. I am sure you will do fine.

I'll wish you luck on the weather, and let your training provide the good performance. As to the nerves/sweat, my favorite cure is to exercise hard in the late afternoon on the day before which will facillitate a good night's sleep.

-lance

SkyHog said:
Make your examiner say "wow!" and you're golden!

Unless it's "Wow! I've never seen anyone do THAT on a checkride before..." ;)

Paul Allen said:
Pray for good weather. Do don't want to do all that sweating and then have to scrub the ride! Good luck.

Bill,

Do you know if your DPE will do the ride in actual? After reading about that at the old AOPA board and here, I asked. My DPE will do it, but this was his reply:

"If the ride is VFR, you have to fly to PTS standards. If the ride is IFR, you have to fly to my standards."

That's perfectly understandable, since he'd have to be PIC and his name's on the flight plan... It's worth checking into though.

Last edited:
You've worked hard and studied hard and your ride will be fine. My final stage check with the chief CFI at Aerotech was twice the test that my ride with the DE was.

Jim G

Good luck, Bill. For me, once we got to the plane I actually enjoyed and had fun on my IR checkride. I just relaxed and let my training take over. I'm not saying the ride wasn't difficult, I am saying that I enjoyed the time.

Getting that handshake and the ticket at the end is a feeling like no other.

A wiseman told me, "Remember, no one fails the 2nd checkride. So relax."

Bill Jennings said:

You're going to do great. Ron Levy's Checkride Tips guarantees it.

The examiners are REALLY hitting the TFR/restricted airspace stuff hard, including recognizing and complying with the signals that an intercepting fighter might give you, ADIZ procedures, etc.

If you're not totally comfortable with that stuff, review AOPA's free Air Safety Foundation on the subject, "Know Before You Go"... something good for all of us to do, probably:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/online_courses/know_before/

Troy Whistman said:
The examiners are REALLY hitting the TFR/restricted airspace stuff hard, including recognizing and complying with the signals that an intercepting fighter might give you, ADIZ procedures, etc.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll go thru the AOPA training before the ride.

And to all the rest, THANKS!!!

Lots of studying and flying yet to do, but I'm eager to get this one in the books and do some FUN flying again.

Bill you know your stuff. Just think of it as; Hey I get to show this guy or gal how good I am and how much I know. And don't be afraid to admit a mistake and then correct it and explain it. Have not met a DPE that won't credit you for catching and explaining a mistake.

AdamZ said:
Bill you know your stuff. Just think of it as; Hey I get to show this guy or gal how good I am and how much I know. And don't be afraid to admit a mistake and then correct it and explain it. Have not met a DPE that won't credit you for catching and explaining a mistake.
Yes admiting a mistake and taking the correct action is key. On my IR checkride I was cleared out of a hold to an ILS but 500 feet above the glide slope. I started to descend at 1000fpm to get to it but within a few moments it become clear I was not going to do it safely. I leveled off and then started the missed procedure, called ATC and told them I am missed and requested vectors to redo the apporach. Once things settled down the DE said that is what she really wants to see, good decision making ability. Not trying to take risks to just make the approach.

Don't be afraid to call off the approach if things are not right.

Back