It's SNOWING!

terzap

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
terzap
KGFK 060500Z 35027G39KT 2SM -SN BR BKN006 OVC011 M01/M01 A2996 RMK AO2 PK WND 35039/0457 P0000
KGFK 060415Z 060424 35025G32KT 1 1/2SM -SNRA BR BKN007 OVC016
TEMPO 0405 1/2SM SN BLSN BKN003
FM0500 36026G36KT 2SM -SN BLSN OVC007
FM0800 35022G31KT 5SM -SN OVC015
FM1000 35016G23KT P6SM BKN030

Ahhh! 32 with a 14 degree windchill. And I was getting worried since it ALWAYS snows for Halloween around here. Even this is a little early, though. I just hope the wind dies down since I am supposed to fly for the first time in five weeks tomorrow afternoon! :) I love flying in the cold weather a LOT more than in summer. (But not with a 36 knot wind thank you)

Welcome to North Dakota!
:rofl: :yes: good thing I like snow!

terry

terzap said:
KGFK 060500Z 35027G39KT 2SM -SN BR BKN006 OVC011 M01/M01 A2996 RMK AO2 PK WND 35039/0457 P0000
KGFK 060415Z 060424 35025G32KT 1 1/2SM -SNRA BR BKN007 OVC016
TEMPO 0405 1/2SM SN BLSN BKN003
FM0500 36026G36KT 2SM -SN BLSN OVC007
FM0800 35022G31KT 5SM -SN OVC015
FM1000 35016G23KT P6SM BKN030

Ahhh! 32 with a 14 degree windchill. And I was getting worried since it ALWAYS snows for Halloween around here. Even this is a little early, though. I just hope the wind dies down since I am supposed to fly for the first time in five weeks tomorrow afternoon! :) I love flying in the cold weather a LOT more than in summer. (But not with a 36 knot wind thank you)

Welcome to North Dakota!

terry

Yuck! I'll stick with rain. At least I don't have to shovel that stuff. :D

WHOO-HOO!

Up here, we've got "termination dust" on the mountaintops... but no snow in the city yet. I can't wait!

--Kath

Ken Ibold said:
Snow? Wazzat?

Looks a lot like the white stuff in your freezer that collects on stuff you should have thown out long ago.

Oh wait, with the long power outages from the many hurricanes down there, you probably had to throw everything out before it got too old!

lancefisher said:
Looks a lot like the white stuff in your freezer that collects on stuff you should have thown out long ago.

Oh wait, with the long power outages from the many hurricanes down there, you probably had to throw everything out before it got too old!
Well, that and when the power goes out that white stuff in the freezer becomes drinking water!

Ken Ibold said:
Well, that and when the power goes out that white stuff in the freezer becomes drinking water!

We just melt the (non yellow) snow for that.

I miss snow. Thats the one thing I miss from New Hampshire. Sure, we get it here, but when the entire city shuts down for 3-6 inches, I REALLY miss New Hampshire.

terzap said:
Welcome to North Dakota!

terry

Good you can have my share.. 55 degrees here today, with no snow..high ovc.

NickDBrennan said:
but when the entire city shuts down for 3-6 inchesQUOTE]

When there is 1/2" of snow, our place is crippled. Well all the minds are. Everything closes, no one goes out. People are talking about the 'storm'!!
Just an another winter day for a lot of folks.

woodstock said:
Katherine, how long are you in Alaska?
I've been here just under two months. I'll be staying.... ohhh....... for the rest of my life maybe?
(If I get tenure!) :goofy:

--Kath

kath said:
I've been here just under two months. I'll be staying.... ohhh....... for the rest of my life maybe?
(If I get tenure!) :goofy:

--Kath

I'm currently looking to get a job in Alaska since mine is going south fast. Time to get out of Dodge and all that. They need any artists in your parts? (I can also pump gas, gut deer, and shovel s**t.) My brother lives just outside Kenai, but he's not coming up with anything for me (unless I actually have those bush pilot quals I am no where near having yet)

sigh.

Anyway, maybe I'll see ya one of these days, Kath!

terry

terzap said:
They need any artists in your parts? (I can also pump gas, gut deer, and shovel s**t.) My brother lives just outside Kenai, but he's not coming up with anything for me (unless I actually have those bush pilot quals I am no where near having yet)
Don't know of anything offhand... but it sounds like you can do all the things that need to get done. I know a musician who just arrived in town and is looking for employment. Jobs are relatively scarce in general here, but Anchorage is a medium-sized city with lots of stuff going on. If you like the snow and flying, then you'd fit right in. :)
Drop me a line if you want to come visit!

--Kath

I hope you guys never have to go through what we went through earlier this winter (2004/2005)...We had 1/2 inch of snow and Raleigh comes to complete gridlock. I am so glad I called in sick that day.

Kids spent the night in their schools, it took my coworker over 10 hours to drive less than 2 miles and ended up sleeping on the floor at the hospital, accidents everywhere, school busses were stranded so there were kids who slept on the school bus, and no cell phone service. It was horrible.

Only in the south!!!!!

HPNFlyGirl said:
I hope you guys never have to go through what we went through earlier this winter (2004/2005)...We had 1/2 inch of snow and Raleigh comes to complete gridlock. I am so glad I called in sick that day.

Kids spent the night in their schools, it took my coworker over 10 hours to drive less than 2 miles and ended up sleeping on the floor at the hospital, accidents everywhere, school busses were stranded so there were kids who slept on the school bus, and no cell phone service. It was horrible.

Only in the south!!!!!
The snow here surprised some people because it was so early, but heck, it was obvious from the forecasts four days ahead of time. Like the hurricane....some didn't take it seriously. However, it only takes one or two "first" storms of the season for everyone in the Northern Plains to go into snow mode. I think this was one of the first heavy wet snows (like they get back East) that some people had to deal with. Usually our snow is so cold and dry it blows away like dust. Minot AFB had a foot of snow.

The storm did cause trouble for some poor FedEx pilot flying a Cessna 210 in Winnipeg this morning though, she crashed and was killed. I am trying to find out more about that.

sigh

terry

We had fall yesterday evening.

High on Tuesday was 89. Went swimming after work.

Cold front came through late yesterday afternoon. Turned off heater in pool.

Low last night was 33. High today upper 40's. Low tonight around freezing.

terzap said:
I love flying in the cold weather a LOT more than in summer.

Amen! Some folks complain about cold weather (and they're the same ones we laugh about when they get snow days for 1/2" :D ) but once you get 'em started, planes LOVE cold weather. Nothing like 1200+ fpm in a heavily loaded Archer! Too bad cold brings icing.

HPNFlyGirl said:

Only in the south!!!!!

Yup. I used to live in upstate NY, 8-10in of snow overnight? No big deal, scrape off the snow and drive to work. Everyone knew the drill.

Moved to Chattanooga, even the threat of snow closes the schools and causes panic buying of milk and bread.

What is it about milk and bread? Anyone been to survival school, anything critically important about having milk and bread for survival? ;)

Bill Jennings said:
What is it about milk and bread? Anyone been to survival school, anything critically important about having milk and bread for survival? ;)

Funny :)

Around here the newest reporters at the newspaper and the tv stations *get* to do the "milk and bread" stories :)

It's true! Walk into any grocery here when the forecast is for even a light dusting and there won't be a loaf of bread (white bread anyway) nor a jug of milk on the shelves. I am wondering if people keep so little food in their houses that they would starve in the period of 36 to 72 hours that it takes for the snow to melt.

They're getting snow up in the Rockies near me. (14K feet). Nothing in Denver of course, but I support the OWT that says it must snow on Halloween. Oh, excuse me, Fall Festival, can't annoy the Public Schools Systems.

I think living in Alaska would be fun for a year or two.

HPNFlyGirl said:
I hope you guys never have to go through what we went through earlier this winter (2004/2005)...We had 1/2 inch of snow and Raleigh comes to complete gridlock. I am so glad I called in sick that day...Only in the south!!!!!
Yeah, that was pretty strange. Of course, here in Chapel Hill, we used common sense and everything worked out for the best. In Raleigh, however. . . ;)

BTW - Congratulations on that game against Georgia Tech!! Way to go, Pack!

Last edited:
terzap said:
The snow here surprised some people because it was so early, but heck, it was obvious from the forecasts four days ahead of time. Like the hurricane....some didn't take it seriously. However, it only takes one or two "first" storms of the season for everyone in the Northern Plains to go into snow mode. I think this was one of the first heavy wet snows (like they get back East) that some people had to deal with. Usually our snow is so cold and dry it blows away like dust. Minot AFB had a foot of snow.

The storm did cause trouble for some poor FedEx pilot flying a Cessna 210 in Winnipeg this morning though, she crashed and was killed. I am trying to find out more about that.

sigh
terry

I flew out to Garrison (about halfway between Bismark and Minot) and back yesterday on an Angel Flight mission. The had over a foot of snow on the ground but my passenger (actually her mom, the patient was a cute little 5 yr old girl) knew the airport manager (AKA hardware store owner) and got him to plow the runway clear for me. It was kind of a shock to see all that snow after a weekend of near 90 degree temps. We have no snow here in Minneapolis, but there's no doubt that it's coming soon.

Last edited:
lancefisher said:
I flew out to Garrison (about halfway between Bismark and Minot) and back yesterday on an Angel Flight ... We have no snow here in Minneapolis, but there's no doubt that it's coming soon.

Minot and other points north had 12-24 inches. And it was that wet East-Coasty snow--the kind I grew up with and learned to drive in-- that people around here aren't really used to. Usually the snow is so cold and dry you could take a deep breath and blow it off your driveway.

I'm glad the weather was good enough for your Angel Flight. I was supposed to do some pattern work last night, but low ceilings/icing canceled me.

It's all melted in GFK and we're looking at 50-60 for the weekend.

terry

PS--Anyone in the area, the Northwood Fly-In (4V4) is SUNDAY...come on out and have buffalo burgers and laugh at me trying to do a "precision landing". I plan on it. (Laughing, that is. :) )

Back