It's on... pilots at UAL apologize for their management

I'm sure there must be a reason why you folks who travel internationally on the airlines choose to fly on a US carrier rather than a foreign carrier. Are the fares really that much better?

Jon

For me, I travel to a diversity of places and my company doesn't pay for biz class UNLESS I'm getting off the plane and going straight to a meeting, or the flight is longer than 12 hours (Japan, China, India, all of SE Asia). If, in a year, I hit Dublin / London / Paris / Tokyo / New Delhi / Shanghai, in addition to my domestic travel requirements (which are significant), a foriegn-flagged carrier makes no sense.

To hit all of those cities on one FF carrier, I'd have to connect internationally OR fly 7 different airlines (6 international destinations plus domestic), all of which would be in coach (except VIDP / RJAA / ZSPD), which sucks. Plus, I get no personal upside with the travel (frequent flier miles) that I can use or donate to a worthy cause.

I have had exceptional service on a number of airlines, including US flagged carriers. I've also had horrific service on each of those same carriers. In general, if you are a big carrier (flagged or other), it's going to be a crap shoot.

Cheers,

-Andrew
who's been on United, US Airways, Delta, JetBlue, American, Aer Lingus, British Airways, Lufthansa, Jet Airways, and Air France in the past 24 months

This whole TSA crap has gone way too far. That is an organization that has way too much power and way too little oversight. And as far as I am concerned, contributes very little to the safety of the system.
AMEN Greg! All the TSA does is provide the public with the illusion of security, which is sufficient for many of the "Joe Idiots" out there who base their entire life outlook off of what they see and hear on mainstream media "news" sources. These media outlets spend all of their time trying to scare the bejesus out of everyone, that these uninformed fools "demand" some type of action. And, since they have no idea of what else to do, and we're so bloody politically correct in this country that we don't want to risk offending anyone by profiling, the TSA and Dept. of Homeland Security decide it's a good idea to take away anything that can possibly be misconceived of as a weapon and limiting us to only bringing 3oz containers of napalm or whatever on board. [/rant]

This whole TSA crap has gone way too far. That is an organization that has way too much power and way too little oversight. And as far as I am concerned, contributes very little to the safety of the system.

I say it's counterproductive - right now, "mission creep" is turning the agency into a dragnet that's more concerned about how it looks in press releases than it is about constitutional rights of the citizens.

If you look closely at the man behind the curtain, you'll find that so much of what the agency does is a reaction to the frustrations of the FBI following the D. B. Cooper incident 37 years ago. ID checking is just so they can try and place a name to a person if something happens.....

We ought to get more for out tax money.

I'd love to hear about the results (fallout?) of the gutsy letter. I know there must be something on flyertalk but I rarely go there and I'm sure the discussion has dropped by now.

I'd love to hear about the results (fallout?) of the gutsy letter. I know there must be something on flyertalk but I rarely go there and I'm sure the discussion has dropped by now.

Must have dropped. I was just on Flyertalk earlier this evening and didn't see anything on the UA page.

Back