It's Friday ...

PaulMKE

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PaulMKE
... where & what are you flying this weekend?

I got some tailwheel time in a Citabria yesterday but otherwise no flying this weekend :(

I signed up to shake off the rust next Thursday and get current again. Kind of nervous not going to lie! Converted my logbook to an excel document this morning and I felt pretty wistful. 2009 was the last time I logged time, other than a flight in 2014 for my birthday...

My plane is on week 3 of a 2 week avionics mini-makeover. So...I'll be sitting this one out.

Trenton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying tomorrow. Will probably just hang around local.

I signed up to shake off the rust next Thursday and get current again. Kind of nervous not going to lie! Converted my logbook to an excel document this morning and I felt pretty wistful. 2009 was the last time I logged time, other than a flight in 2014 for my birthday...

I took 10 years off. Flying skills came back right away. Tailwheel wheelies on the other hand...

Would love to hear an update on your flight after. Keep us posted!

Doing a lazy float down a river this weekend. Might get some flight time in if I get home early on Sunday... We'll see...:mad2:

Still waiting for my prop overhaul ,to be completed. Another missed week end. Which makes me think ,how many good week ends do I have left.

Still waiting for my prop overhaul ,to be completed. Another missed week end. Which makes me think ,how many good week ends do I have left.

I have the same thoughts often... I feel your pain... :mad2:

Given a cat 4 hurricane 140 miles SE and heading NW at 10 mi/hr, nowhere.

Now that the tourists are gone I think I'll go land at Sisters and Madras, weather/smoke permitting.

I hear you... just knocked the rust off and got current last month. I was on the ground for two years and it is painful.

I hear you... just knocked the rust off and got current last month. I was on the ground for two years and it is painful.

How'd you study to get back to it? The stick and rudder I dont think will be hard to snap back into but the rest has me nervous. I did the FAA Safety flight review course and got a little certificate of completion to show the instructor but with that alone I dont feel nearly safe to fly.

The last I flew, I was in CA in uncontrolled airspace. Now I am in DFW under Bravo. I listen to a lot of ground/tower/clearance delivery at work some days (and talk to ground when moving aircraft around the airport) but thats about it.

While I was in Turkey with a Redbird FMX:

First of all I went up with an instructor just for an hour. Did some slow flight and steep turns. Then regarding the flight review teamed up with my dad as he was getting current too. Did the oral together and I rode backseat for the flight. Then later went with the same instructor for my flight. They won't sign you off unless they are confident you aren't going to bend the plane so that's where you should draw your confidence from. It all comes back pretty quickly I would say. But it's your wallet. Request as much time as it takes for you to feel comfortable.

Just a few weeks later I flew with another instructor to do a 172 checkout. All in all within about a month I flew with 3 instructors for a total of about 4 hours, and also made three of my own flights - one solo and the other two with family members.

You can do it. Just use the instructor as much as you need to until you find your confidence.

Regarding study... didn't do much. Reviewed charts and airspace and checklists. The flight review is more of a shared information session. If you don't know it they will walk you through things. I took notes from the ground session and I can list out bullet points for you if you want.

Regarding study... didn't do much. Reviewed charts and airspace and checklists. The flight review is more of a shared information session. If you don't know it they will walk you through things. I took notes from the ground session and I can list out bullet points for you if you want.

Yeah I'd like that if you don't mind. Thanks for the info btw.

Sure thing, and here you go! I'm kind of glad you asked. This forced me to type it up before I lost the notes. ;)

Flight Review (2017)

Generally listed in order:

Currency (day and night)
Final authority for safety of flight
Loss of engine procedure
Squawk codes (7700, etc)
Information needed prior to flight (acronym I learned during the interview):

R: runway information
A: ATC delays/info
W: w&b/weather
F: fuel
A: alternate plans
T: takeoff/landing data (capability of plane)

Fuel reserve requirements (day/night)
Seatbelt requirements (including what age doesn’t need seatbelt (under 2 years)
Flying after using alcohol/drugs
When can you fly an intoxicated passenger
Passenger briefing
Requirements for safety pilot (not really needed for PPL only I guess but whatever)
Medicals – how long are they good for
O2 requirements (he also made a point about the difference between aviation & medical O2)
Flying after scuba diving requirements
ADM/Risk Management (IAMSAFE/5 Ps/3 Ps)
Aircraft worthiness (AV1ATE)
Docs needed in aircraft (ARROW)
Day VFR requirements (TOMATOAFLAMES)
When Mode C xponder is required
Inop equip –actions to take or consider
Airport markings
Light bar signals
Airspace (general altitudes above surface)
Speed limits
VFR cruising altitudes (only in effect above 3000 AGL)
Right of way (in the air and during takeoff/landing)

Then there was some light discussion near the end on:

Formation flying
Special use airspace
Radio calls in uncontrolled airspace
ACS (airman certification standards) replacing PTS
Wire strikes (how to avoid)
Runway incursions (how to avoid)

The formation flying thing was kind of funny. I mean, rarely people fly formation right? Then a week later I was visiting my mom in Ohio and hear the sound of a small aircraft, look up and whoa, 5 Skyhawks in a V formation.

Well, I got smoked out. Headed from CVO over to Sisters. got about 75% of the way there and decided the chances of finding the airport and avoiding the terrain in an unfamiliar area in 5 or less miles visibility was unlikely and probably unsafe. Came back to Corvallis and was going to do some landings, but apparently as I got there every other plane in the area decided to arrive. So took my 1.3 hours and went home.

Sure thing, and here you go! I'm kind of glad you asked. This forced me to type it up before I lost the notes. ;)

Flight Review (2017)

Generally listed in order:

Currency (day and night)
Final authority for safety of flight
Loss of engine procedure
Squawk codes (7700, etc)
Information needed prior to flight (acronym I learned during the interview):

R: runway information
A: ATC delays/info
W: w&b/weather
F: fuel
A: alternate plans
T: takeoff/landing data (capability of plane)

Fuel reserve requirements (day/night)
Seatbelt requirements (including what age doesn’t need seatbelt (under 2 years)
Flying after using alcohol/drugs
When can you fly an intoxicated passenger
Passenger briefing
Requirements for safety pilot (not really needed for PPL only I guess but whatever)
Medicals – how long are they good for
O2 requirements (he also made a point about the difference between aviation & medical O2)
Flying after scuba diving requirements
ADM/Risk Management (IAMSAFE/5 Ps/3 Ps)
Aircraft worthiness (AV1ATE)
Docs needed in aircraft (ARROW)
Day VFR requirements (TOMATOAFLAMES)
When Mode C xponder is required
Inop equip –actions to take or consider
Airport markings
Light bar signals
Airspace (general altitudes above surface)
Speed limits
VFR cruising altitudes (only in effect above 3000 AGL)
Right of way (in the air and during takeoff/landing)

Then there was some light discussion near the end on:

Formation flying
Special use airspace
Radio calls in uncontrolled airspace
ACS (airman certification standards) replacing PTS
Wire strikes (how to avoid)
Runway incursions (how to avoid)

The formation flying thing was kind of funny. I mean, rarely people fly formation right? Then a week later I was visiting my mom in Ohio and hear the sound of a small aircraft, look up and whoa, 5 Skyhawks in a V formation.
Thanks for writing that up! Never heard of RAWFAT before but it looks handy. I will get to studying!

I mentioned it in another thread (New Job 2 etc etc) but I passed the flight review this morning! He didn't go as in-depth as yours did but I studied your notes and came out pretty far ahead!

With all the smoke & haze in Eastern Washington from all the fires in the area we're trying to decide;

Stay home for the weekend & run our glider operation in the hopes some customers will fly...or

Jump in the 182 & run up to the San Juan Islands & visit family & relax for a couple of days. Maybe do some crabbing.

Decisions, decisions,...

Ooooooooooooooo where'd you go? Hit me up if you need recommendations next time.
Dude we went all over. First stop was the Grenade place, second stop was the Spirits place (Bar Rescue saved this place) and then a bunch of others that I don't remember.

I did some pattern work this morning. And it's Friday.

Just got in a new headset: Zulu 3's. Time to burn some MOGAS!

Will be up in the J5 hopefully this evening. Maybe again tomorrow morning if all goes well.

@overdrive148 When I came back after a 20+ year lay off did about 7.5 hours which included the flight review with an instructor before he turned me loose. We basically did a mini-private pilot steep turns, stalls, controlled airspace, landings, hood, emergency....you get the picture.

I will say this probably the first two or three hours I was wondering if it was ever going to click again as I had to think about all the stuff I just did back in the day. Somewhere in that 3rd hour it just clicked and the rest was just fine tuning.

My big Friday? Calling AMCD again to "express interest" in my medical application. Woo Hoo! :rolleyes2:

Tentative plan: fly to an airport near Pocatello, ID Monday Night, camp, fly to Centennial(KAPA) Tuesday to be at work on Wednesday.

Alternatively, fly to KPDX on Tuesday for commercial flight to KDEN.

Alternatively, drive to KPDX and curse traffic on Tuesday for commercial flight to KDEN.

Last Friday..... I laid around in bed with all kinds of wires hooked up to me that are connected to all kinds of machines that are beeping, flashing or making a noise that sounded like a dentist drill in my head.

Meanwhile my wife is trying to lay next to me and in doing so she unfastens one of the leads hooked up to me, making one machine act like I won big in 'Vegas. This starts the mad rush of nurses, technicians and I believe I saw Raul, the pool boy come in.

Other than that I did nothing special....

El Paso to Austin (this is a monthly flight for me). Stopped in Llano both directions fueling (not necessary, but had time to kill). In Llano, three Luscombes were departing, FBO person told me they are a family - pretty cool, but you'd think they would get three different AC to cover all mission types.

Big game in Austin (UT lost:(). Ramp at Austin Exec was a ghost town. Horseshoe Bay had so many King Air's going in you'd think they were a flight school for King Airs (like 172's around here). Saw the new tower going up at Austin Exec, it's small, and from a distance I thought someone was making a cool deer stand:p. Had head winds eastbound and tailwinds westbound - that was unusual.

Am very lucky to have my own AC. I was able to work Friday and take off after lunch for Austin. No last minute "bend over" rate from SWA and fuel was priced nicely. I run my own small business and can't pre-plan like real people months in advance for super saver fares (I usually have someone out sick and I get their load too, or someone gets Jury Duty, has an important medical appointment, etc.).

Back