SkyDog58

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Canis Non Grata
20170916-182944jpg-f3d4eead564c35f9.jpg

Story

Oh, deer.

Before the new perimeter fence at Astoria (Oregon) was built, there were often whole herds of elk on the runway. Several years ago a Lear 36 hit one while on a night takeoff roll. Everybody (except the elk) walked away, but the airplane was destroyed in the ensuing fire.

Was that at Nehalem Bay State, 3S7? My sister was telling me about a plane hitting an Elk when she she was visiting friends near there this weekend.

Edit: Duh. It was, just saw the "Story" link

Had to look it up. Yup, it's rutting season. They got one thing on their mind and no damn plane is gonna get in the way of that hot lookin cow on the other side of the runway.

Check out the fencing around Ashville NC (AVL) airport. They replaced many years ago with a very high fence due to deer getting on the runway. That thing must be 10-12' high, if not higher.

We had a BAE-146 land there one night and on landing roll out WHAM right into a pack of deer.

Check out the fencing around Ashville NC (AVL) airport. They replaced many years ago with a very high fence due to deer getting on the runway. That thing must be 10-12' high, if not higher.

We had a BAE-146 land there one night and on landing roll out WHAM right into a pack of deer.

CLT has a high fence as well but that didn't stop one deer from taking out a CRJ several months ago here. Crazy.

Check out the fencing around Ashville NC (AVL) airport. They replaced many years ago with a very high fence due to deer getting on the runway. That thing must be 10-12' high, if not higher....

That's to keep the hippies out.

Back