Its been done before, why can't we do it again

Neat. That would interesting to see developed. Run on about anything. Range would probably be limited by water capacity, rather than fuel. Not at all light.

Hmm I wonder how much of the steam was recycled. There was a condenser in the drawing from the German magazine. So it may have been a closed or semi closed circuit design.

Pete

I wonder what the installed weight vs. an internal combustion engine would be.

~ Christopher

But it would be even less green than what we use today. What we need is to finish this concept

http://www.brookings.edu/projects/archive/nucweapons/anp.aspx

As I recall, problem they had with this well-intentioned idea was that the fuel was way too hazardous to be practical... radiation was a big problem on the ramp, in the air... everywhere. Shielding, shielding, and more shielding was required... she started to get kinda bulky.
And in order to harden the reactor enough to make it crashproof, it would just add more weight. The military was gaga about the idea of having such tremendous endurance capability, but it just proved impractical from a weight standpoint.

Now, a fusion reactor, that is, a working one- LOL- that is small and adequately shielded... that would be a beautiful thing for an aircraft.

A small fusion reactor would be useful for more than just airplanes . . .

A Green airplane:
747lcf_quarter.jpeg

I'm thinking a small steam turbin with a recycling O2 system, powered by a HHO gas generator. (runs on water)

As amusing as a steam turbin would be, a steam turbine would probably work better to power and aircraft.

~ Christopher

I'm thinking a small steam turbin with a recycling O2 system, powered by a HHO gas generator. (runs on water)

It looks like that one on the biplane is a double expansion. What about a triple expansion piston since steam pistons are stated to be more efficient than steam turbines at typical GA sizes? Or were you thinking Mustang sized power?

Hmmm wonder what would happen to the fuel ( water) when the plane travels above the freezing level.

Hmmm wonder what would happen to the fuel ( water) when the plane travels above the freezing level.
Water in reserve would have to be heated or use an anti-freeze solution that won't inhibit it's ability to become high-pressure steam.

Back