It's appliance shopping time... Suggestions?

I haven't seen anyone post about dishwashers yet.

Anything? We area about due to replace our 15+ year old GE with the rusted racks.

We had an LG in PA that we loved. Did a great job of washing the dishes. We have a few year old model GE here (bought last year on clearance) that does ok, seems to require frequent cleaning cycles. It's hard to say what the exact reason for that is. We might replace it with one of the newer models if we see a good deal on one.

My main advice will be around washers and dryers. Buy a top load washer. You can get more capacity for your dollar, they don't require the "high efficiency" detergent. Also, If you buy a front loading washer, you'll need to spend another $200 on the platform to raise it to a height that doesn't force you to your knees to dig that last sock out of the back corner when you're unloading it.

On washers, dryers, and dishwashers, I'm of the school that says you need simple features, not 1,001 different features/cycles. Hot/warm/cold, delicate/normal are the only settings a washing machine needs. A dryer is similar regular/delicate/fluff and time/moisture. It ain't hard, and they charge a lot for those unused features.

Regarding the dishwasher, find something quiet. It makes the kitchen a much nicer place if you're in there and the dishwasher is running.

Also, buy from an legit appliance store and not from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

There's a reason the model number at Lowe's will be ACH-489-99-L, while the model number at the appliance store will be ACH-489-99-P.

It's because even though the Lowe's machine looks exactly like the "real" one, it's not. We ran into this with many brands when we were shopping for a new washer and dryer about five years ago. Subtle model number differences, not so subtle quality differences once the details were dug into. And not much difference in price.

+1 We have the 48dBA model, you can hardly hear it, just a very light swishing sound, and it cleans well.

When we buy appliances next month, the dishwasher will be Bosch even if the rest is something else. Our new house is open floorplan concept, and the last thing I want to hear is RawrRawrRawr from the dishwasher during the big game.

My research last fall had Bosch no better and no worse, than the rest of the dishwasher fleet. I agree, quiet is the way to go. We went with a GE that has sanitize settings for a little piece of mind, but careful as they will melt a lot of plastic mugs.

And FCH, if you visit down here, this is Appliance Mecca -> Abt Electronics. They are known for offering a very good price. Privately owned so they actually consider customer satisfaction in addition to turning a fair profit. Their showroom is something to experience at least once.

We currently have a bosche washer and drier, stack type. Wife really likes it and runs it a lot. No problems. We purchased a new Amana refrigerator two years ago. They used to be one of the best but are now made in China. It took three times to get one that worked. THREE separate trips!Finally they sent a G.E now made in St. Louis. It's fine.

Last edited:
Second the suggestions on the Bosch dishwashers. I put one in my house at 03NC over 10 years ago and haven't had any issue with it, ever! It cleans dishes, glasses, pots and pans with the efficiency of a high pressure cleaner crossed with a sandblaster. Little to no precleaning required, heats the water hot enough to evaporate at the end of the cycle and doesn't require a heating coil in the bottom of the dishwasher to dry the dishes and melt the plastic! And quiet; there can't be a more silent mode out there. With the hidden buttons that sit under the countertop lip/edge I can't even tell if it's running from over about 6 feet away! (granted, lots of flying, hunting, diving and sirens have left me a little hearing challenged but everyone else also says that"s the first thing they notice)!
Also, I liked it enough to buy one for my mother when her KitchenAid died after 30some years. And as some of us would say in my part of the woods: If'n it ain't good enough for your mama, it ain't fit to use!
The models which I bought were upper/mid-range, not quite top of the line but I've never had a complaint about them and would gladly pay again the little bit of premium price for the quality.

Dishwashers, I think any of the major brands are decent (Kitchen Aid, GE); but our house which we recently bought has a Bosch, and man alive it is quiet - seems to clean well. I have no idea what they cost (believe "cheap" is not included in the specifications).

My only beef is that, when the cycle finishes, it emits a series of Very Loud Beeps. Not appreciated at 11:30 at night. Maybe switchable, if ever I checked.

Our GE was one of their upper-ends at the time (about 15+ yrs ago). Our kithcen and family room are open to each other, so we do care about quiet. The current DW is quiet enough, but not nearly as much as the newer ones. The racks are pretty much rusted out, and with the expense to replace those, we might as well go ahead and get a new DW. I haven't started looking seriously yet, but Bosch does have some of the quietest rated DWs out there. I think that the older DWs had a built in garbage disposal of some sort and that had something to do with the noise level, and the newer ones have a filter screen or basket instead. Are there any pluses/minuses to a SS interior?

Are there any pluses/minuses to a SS interior?

Main plus: it's purdy. Some risk many years down the road of discoloring or rust in non-SS. SS will still suffer from build-up over time depending on your water. SS is more resistant to bacteria and other nasties, but again, this is a tiny risk.

Back