Itching for a Mossberg

I have a Mossberg 500c, it's an all around good basic shotgun.

Favorite one in my arsenal to go trap shooting with is the Ithaca Model 37 though.

An 870 is one of the most cost effective and simple designs a couple hundred bucks can buy IMHO
As someone above stated, racking the slide is a universally known sound. It saved me from having to lethally defend the apartment while in college.

I didn't think you were allowed to shoot for fun in CA? Or even shoot a gun, for that matter.

Or even draw a picture of a gun. Or say the word g*n out loud. You know, the "g" word.

I'd have to dig it out of the safe tonight and measure it. I really don't remember. :D

Some of those old duck or goose guns had some really long barrels.
Think some old bolt action goose guns had a 36" barrel

With all this talk about the ominous noise caused by "racking" a shotgun...

...is it not accepted practice that a defensive arm should be ready to go: one in the chamber, safety on?

Not too much can go wrong to jam a shotgun as it chambers a round, but between that minuscule possibility and giving away your position, it seems a lot to give up to make a scary noise.

With all this talk about the ominous noise caused by "racking" a shotgun...

...is it not accepted practice that a defensive arm should be ready to go: one in the chamber, safety on?

Not too much can go wrong to jam a shotgun as it chambers a round, but between that minuscule possibility and giving away your position, it seems a lot to give up to make a scary noise.

I think we were just joking a bit. Obviously no one is going to think that simply racking a round is sufficient response to a home invasion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's funny you say that. When I conceal carry on my person I have it cocked, locked, ready to rock. My tactical mossburg has the tube loaded and both side saddles loaded up but nothing in the chamber. Like stated above Id rather not have to shoot when racking the slide is all that is needed. Even when I carry, I don't ever want to shoot if I can deescalate a situation. Plus out and about the last thing you want to do is rack a 1911 when you need it now! I guess same could hold true for the home defense shotgun. But trust me, my dog will warn me long before Ill need to pull a trigger. Luckily for me I've never had to deal with any situation needing to rack a slide or pull a gun. Its like insurance, I have it hoping I never need to use it.

I think we were just joking a bit. Obviously no one is going to think that simply racking a round is sufficient response to a home invasion.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maybe not but I'm living proof it can prevent one from ever occurring.

I have a Mossberg 590 Defender with the 18" barrel and pistol grip. It will hold 8 with one in the chamber. I prefer 00 buckshot.

This is basically what I have too, but in the 26". I haven't shot a lot of Remi but for left hander, the safety and extractor on the Mossberg is a bit better. If you aren't left handed, nevermind. If you're going to lug it a long way, the Mossberg is moderately lighter I think. Or, maybe the strap was setup better.

My 930 SPX auto loader has been great.

IMG_1217.jpg

"This item is no longer available or has been sold"

Ugh. That seller had a few of those. If you are interested I would reach out to them. Or I'm sure another one will pop up for that price. My main point is that you can get the much better features of the 590 for a good price if you shop around.

Back