Itching for a Mossberg

Skyscraper

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Skyscraper
I've been looking closely at picking up a 12 gauge and seem to be settling on a Mossberg 590A1. It seems a common comparison is the Remington (840?). Plenty of youtube videos out there but wanted to see if any POA'ers have either and what they think.

My use would be mainly target practice/home defense, not so much for hunting.

Thoughts?

not sure if this will help, but I have a mossberg 500 20ga as well as a remington 11-87 premier LC 12ga. they are 2 different guns completely. basically I got the mossberg when I was dating this (incredibly hot) tiny little asian chick who wanted to shoot, and I was using the remi for trap shooting and pheasant hunting. the remi is just awesome, the mossberg is just a fun gun to shoot. they are both good guns.

I prefer a Mossberg over Remington. I like the safety and slide release where they are placed on the Mossberg. They are more functional than the Remington. If this is purchase for a new gun, I have not been impressed with the Remington brand the last few years. It seems like the quality of their basic guns has dropped. I hunt with a Mossberg shotgun, and have an Remington 870 that is an issue weapon. Both will work fine, but go handle them in the store first to see which is more comfortable in your hands.

When it comes to shotguns I stick with the three B's. Beretta, Browning, and Benelli.

Today's 870 is not your daddy's (or my) 870 ... but then, what is?

Last time I owned a Mossberg - a model 500 - early 80s I think ... it was a solid, no frills functional shotgun, suitable for home defense.

here ya go.....

Attachments

• IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0578.JPG
    IMG_0578.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 20
I have a Mossberg 835 that I have used to knock down more than a few pheasants and, with the slug barrel, a few deer as well.

There are a lot of shiny barely-used Rem 870's on the shelves of the the 'Used Gun' section of gun stores lately. That could be because there were so many of them made, but after handling a few of them I'm guessing there are other reasons...

Home defense? I wouldn't go with a shotgun. I have one, but that's not what sits next to my bed.

I have a 35 year old Mossberg 500. I've beat the crud out of that gun. Never taken care of it. Dropped it in silty rivers, carried in on the floor of boats, left it in the rain. It still kills bears when I need it to. My most recent 12ga is a Remington 887 Nitro Tactical. It's a nice enough gun but all said I'd rather have my trusty rusty Mossberg.

Home defense? I wouldn't go with a shotgun. I have one, but that's not what sits next to my bed.

Home defense is sort of the excuse, some fun target shooting in the woods is really more the reason for owning. Also probably picking up a Ruger SR22 for my lady. Still haven't narrowed down my pistol purchase.

Home defense is sort of the excuse, some fun target shooting in the woods is really more the reason for owning. Also probably picking up a Ruger SR22 for my lady. Still haven't narrowed down my pistol purchase.

I didn't think you were allowed to shoot for fun in CA? Or even shoot a gun, for that matter.

I dunno. No mistaking the sound of the slide putting one in the chamber. Next best thing to a warning shot.

I didn't think you were allowed to shoot for fun in CA? Or even shoot a gun, for that matter.

There was a waiting line at the range yesterday. Forgot how loud AR's are indoors.

Don't be mistake, plenty of shells are flying in California.

Don't be mistake, plenty of shells are flying in California.

Shh, don't tell them, they'll all want to come.

Heaven forbid, starting to plan for Cub Scout summer camp tucked in a little valley here in LA County where we'll have a bunch 1st-graders-to-be shooting BBs and slinging arrows.

Given the population density here, there are still plenty of places to shoot.

Personally I prefer Benelli shotguns.

My son's first shotgun was a Mossberg. To me the location of the safety was the selling point. One look down even when shouldered and you know if its off or on.

I dunno. No mistaking the sound of the slide putting one in the chamber. Next best thing to a warning shot.

With no kids in the house, I'm already loaded. They get a verbal warning.

With no kids in the house, I'm already loaded. They get a verbal warning.

No verbal warning in my house, for all you know they are armed, too. My insurance will cover the cost to have the blood cleaned up and new carpet installed.

I have a Mossberg 590 Defender with the 18" barrel and pistol grip. It will hold 8 with one in the chamber. I prefer 00 buckshot.

Shh, don't tell them, they'll all want to come.

Heaven forbid, starting to plan for Cub Scout summer camp tucked in a little valley here in LA County where we'll have a bunch 1st-graders-to-be shooting BBs and slinging arrows.

Given the population density here, there are still plenty of places to shoot.

No we won't. California is a nice place to visit, but it's not high on my places to live. For the record, I bought my first firearm in CA when I was stationed at Miramar. But that was in 1999.

I have a Mossberg 590 Defender with the 18" barrel and pistol grip. It will hold 8 with one in the chamber. I prefer 00 buckshot.

I take it you like it? I'd probably pick up the pistol grip as well and switch em out every once in a while.

My son's first shotgun was a Mossberg. To me the location of the safety was the selling point. One look down even when shouldered and you know if its off or on.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite things too, perhaps not as easy to manipulate with a pistol grip, but I just like that style better.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite things too, perhaps not as easy to manipulate with a pistol grip, but I just like that style better.

Absolutely. I think of the 870 as police issue (BTW - fine gun) and the Mossberg 590 as military issue.

Quite honestly, any pump action shotguns will make an intruder think twice when they hear the pump.

Absolutely. I think of the 870 as police issue (BTW - fine gun) and the Mossberg 590 as military issue.

Quite honestly, any pump action shotguns will make an intruder think twice when they hear the pump.

Yeah, again home defense is not something I'm all that worried about. I live in a cul de sac with lots of kids in it, middle class neighborhood with extremely low crime rate, I've left my garage door open all day with tools, bikes and other things in plain view. My truck usually sits in my side yard with keys in it. Still, it's nice to know that if someone reaches an arm through a window they'll be pulling back a stump.

Btw, my hound dog provides the warning, I swear that guy can hear a pin drop two doors down.

I like my old Mossberg. It works well, and has brought down many doves, 'possums, and a 'coon or two.

I have a Mossberg 500 Defender, short barrel, removed ammo tube plug, in 12 ga. I love it, although it is super brutal on the shoulder no matter how well you pull it in.

Weapon has been completely reliable, easy to clean/maintain and is fun to shoot (bruises and all). I imagine the hunting version is similar quality and utility.

'Gimp

No verbal warning in my house, for all you know they are armed, too. My insurance will cover the cost to have the blood cleaned up and new carpet installed.

Perhaps, but I'm already concealed by that point. And my house has interior concrete block walls between every room except the wall between the bath and the utility. And if they want to keep coming, they have to come through the door, and they have no idea where I am on the other side of it.

Perhaps, but I'm already concealed by that point. And my house has interior concrete block walls between every room except the wall between the bath and the utility. And if they want to keep coming, they have to come through the door, and they have no idea where I am on the other side of it.

My house is small, and no concrete blocks. There are a few places for me to take cover, but I'm not going to give my position away.

I have a mossburg 500 and a mossburg tactical..I love them both. Can't go wrong with a mossburg.

Once you have shot a Winchester 101 you'll never go back.

Mossberg, my mud, blood, and beer can gun.

My favorite shot gun, Remington model 17, 20G. three interchangeable barrels in full, modified, and open choke.

Bottom load, bottom eject, short action pump

Last edited:
Can't add much to this thread, I have a number of shotguns new and old, but I do have the short barrel Tac. style Mossberg 500 synthetic. Great for bears and close in "house work" Top safety tang is great/no nonsense right or left handed.
Using it for target shooting ,meh, not so good, you can buy an additional longer barrel that is easy to change back and forth if you want too shoot clays.
The older 870's were better built, new 870 synthetic on the same level as Mossberg probably,new 870 with the cheap wood nowadays, yuck.
If you want a really solid pump gun,( not stamped out like current Moss,Rem, Win. guns) buy an older Winchester model 97 or Model 12 that has had the barrel cut off or cutts comp or poly choke installed.
Don't ever ruin one of the "good original old ones PLEASE!! The above chokes installed have already de-valued the gun so no harm done to hack one of those off further.
Also don't discount getting an old shortened side by side, simple as dirt, easy to check whether loaded or not, safety is usually a top tang. Fewer ready shells at you disposal though. Although 2- 12guage 00 buck should clear the room;)
If you want it to be multi purpose you might pick a good long barrel gun and then find an old smooth bore deer barrel for it . Those are usually found reasonable as everybody nowadays wants a rifled deer barrel.

There a lot of great guns mentioned in above postings, the Ol'Mossback ought to work fine for what you want to accomplish without shelling out big bucks.
If it kicks too much for you install a good recoil pad, if that makes the stock too long cut it down and install the pad.
My 2 cents:rolleyes:

I've got a Mossberg 500A that my dad got back in the 1960s. 12 gauge, 26 inch barrel, improved cylinder choke. Pheasant gun. I shoot left handed (as did he) and that thumb safety works much better for us than the cross bolt safety on a Remington (or Winchester). I also like the slide release for cycling the action. After all these years that gun works as well as it did new. But, what the heck, my Winchester 1897 in 16 gauge works as well as it did new, too. My great grandfather's duck gun. Full choke. Open hammer, so the safety is a half-cock notch on the hammer. You have to be careful with that one.

I've got a Mossberg 500A that my dad got back in the 1960s. 12 gauge, 26 inch barrel, improved cylinder choke. Pheasant gun. I shoot left handed (as did he) and that thumb safety works much better for us than the cross bolt safety on a Remington (or Winchester). I also like the slide release for cycling the action. After all these years that gun works as well as it did new. But, what the heck, my Winchester 1897 in 16 gauge works as well as it did new, too. My great grandfather's duck gun. Full choke. Open hammer, so the safety is a half-cock notch on the hammer. You have to be careful with that one.

Nice ! ,a "97" in 16 gauge, don't see very many of those. At least I haven't, Mostly 12's
30"or 32" barrel? all those were really tight full chokes too.
"Yep" on the hammer, very visible though, and as we all know,you have to be careful with all of them:yes:

Remington quality today: Questionable.
Mossberg quality today: Slightly better.

That's all I've got. :)

Once you have shot a Winchester 101 you'll never go back.

Mossberg, my mud, blood, and beer can gun.

My favorite shot gun, Remington model 17, 20G. three interchangeable barrels in full, modified, and open choke.

Bottom load, bottom eject, short action pump

101's are real nice but my Ruger Red Label fit me better than the Citori's Superposed, and SKB's I was looking at,at the time.
As I recall 101's were heavy and expensive and maybe temporarily out of production when I was shopping.
Always wanted an Ithaca Perrazzi back in the day.

Nice ! ,a "97" in 16 gauge, don't see very many of those. At least I haven't, Mostly 12's
30"or 32" barrel? all those were really tight full chokes too.
"Yep" on the hammer, very visible though, and as we all know,you have to be careful with all of them:yes:

I'd have to dig it out of the safe tonight and measure it. I really don't remember. :D

Remington quality today: Questionable.
Mossberg quality today: Slightly better.

That's all I've got. :)

That seems to be the general trend of opinion, and the way I'm heavily leaning. Gonna see if I can rent the Mossberg, I'd love to put some rounds through it first. But I do trust my good friend whom I would classify as "Severe" level gun-nut as well :rofl:.

Back