It never ends...

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Still trying to get the Mooney back from Gastons. Mark B is flying with me back to Havasu..if we ever make it. We decided to land in Sante Fe yesterday and continue on this morning for the final leg into Arizona. Nick B. Flew out from ABQ yesterday afternoon and we enjoyed some great conversation. This morning Mark and I arrived at the airport around 6am, plan was for an early departure to try and keep density altitude to a minimum. During the runup when i switched to the left mag, the engine started poping. I leaned out the mixture and tried to burn off any excess carbon on the plugs, to no avail, it seemed to have gotten worse. So we taxied back to the FBO and called in a mechanic, who after several hours, pulled all the plugs out, and determined they were so bad, some were not even firing. He sandblasted them and put everything back together. The post mechanical runup proved successful, and the Mooney was purring again. Problem was, now it is almost 1pm and the DA is getting awfully high, as well as the winds. I decided to make a run for it, Takeoff with a pretty strong crosswind, while uneventful, proved challenging. After reaching 8500 we noticed the headwind was around 40 mph. and we had some nice size mountains to clear. The updrafts and downdrafts started to get a little exciting, when we reached apox 20miles west of sante fe, the winds and Downdrafts would not let me hold altitude. There was rising terrain below us and I quickly decided to make a 180 back to Sante Fe. As soon as we turned around, the ground speed was showing over 200 as we came screaming back at the airport. The Atis reported a direct crosswind gusting to 29. and tower confirmed it. I gotta say that was the hardest landing I have ever made. you could hear the gusts coming through the windows and instantly picking up the plane several feet above the runway. at one point we had turned almost sideways. I eventually got us straightened out and landed. What a workout. I don't care to repeat that.
Good news is, nothing got bent. Bad news is...7 days after Gastons..I am still 3 hours from home.
Wish us luck for an early takeoff in the morning. :)

Michael

Michael said:
Bad news is...7 days after Gastons..I am still 3 hours from home.

:eek:

Good news is you might get the took-forever-to-get-home award named after you. B)

Holy screaming winds at altitude, Batman!

You did the right thing turning back. There are worse places to wait it out than Santa Fe :)

Yep, the AZ3 award for the longest flight after departing Gastons, distance and hours :yes:

Michael, I'm sorry, but to be completely honest, I am laughing. A lot of good folks, me included, would kill to be in your situation. I'll trade you my eye for your predicament.

Just think of all the fine memories you're making. No hanger talk will ever be the same.

As a point of reference, by the time you get back home Voyager would have completed it's 'round the world flight.

At least the boss can't reach you...

Y'all be safe out there and be sure to keep us updated.

Michael said:
Wish us luck for an early takeoff in the morning. :)

Michael

With winds that high, you were looking at a pretty rough ride west of there.

Think of it this way.... now you can enjoy another evening of Blue Corn Enchiladas at Tomisita's by the old rail station....

Yum.

Michael,
You're a Mooney inspiration. The POH says max. demonstrated cross wind is 11 kts. You more than doubled that. I'm not going to go look for cross winds greater than book value, but if at some point I don't have a choice it's nice to have heard your experience. god luck on that final leg!

Michael if you keep it up you might as well turn around and meet us back at Gastons,(lol),well my thought is better safe then sorry,FLY SAFE Dave G.

Well its better than being stuck in Tucumcari, but still frustrating. We're going to try a day trip to Taos tomorrow, (SKX). If that doesn't look good maybe Cody, WY.

Anthony said:
Well its better than being stuck in Tucumcari, but still frustrating. We're going to try a day trip to Taos tomorrow, (SKX). If that doesn't look good maybe Cody, WY.
One day about fifteen years ago I heard a cherokee call Albuquerque center for a ground speed readout (days before GPS). "60 knots". He too was westbound in the summer. A Malibu driver cracked, "I hope he's got a lot of fuel, he's going to be up there for a long time".

The Cherokee driver tutned around and went back to ABQ. The Malibu driver then asked ZAB for diversion to Flagstaff.....to get fuel.

Sigh.

It's always an adventure.

From the day's metars looks like you were just unlucky enough to hit the worst possible part of the day; tomorrow looks a little better!

KSAF
FM1000 12012KT P6SM SKC
FM2000 20010KT P6SM FEW090

KABQ
FM1200 09012G20KT P6SM SKC
FM1700 13012KT P6SM SKC
FM2000 26005KT P6SM FEW090

KINW
FM1600 25011G21KT P6SM SKC

KFLG
FM1600 21008KT P6SM SKC
FM1900 22010G20KT P6SM SKC

KPRC
FM1900 21009G19KT P6SM SKC

KBLH
FM2000 20011G19KT P6SM SKC

here are the 12000ft winds noon tomorrow:

Look at it this way Michael - that's one hell of a vacation at least.

Also - good thing you are your own boss. Makes it easier to take time off :)

Well?
Troy, you get a hit on Michael's mooney?

looks like the wx was at least as good as forecast....

Made it home..YAY..
However...the left mag is acting up again. I guess all that money spent yesterday didnt actually do any good. The flight went well, even got to fly over meteor Crator in eastern Arizona. Pictures to follow soon.
How do you airline pilots do it? man I'm beat.

Michael

Michael said:
Made it home..YAY..
However...the left mag is acting up again. I guess all that money spent yesterday didnt actually do any good. The flight went well, even got to fly over meteor Crator in eastern Arizona. Pictures to follow soon.

Michael

Glad y'all finally made it back. What an trip. :yes:

I had a mag problem with my 201. I had to rent a car to get home ($125.00). The mag work cost me about $500.00. It was the second time I had a problem, the first time I was stuck at my home field. When I got the plane home I replaced the mag with a rebuilt, another $800.00. Expensive breakfast!

I have started carrying a ready to install rebuilt on long trips plus tools.

Michael said:

Michael

You get used to it. There are one or two other creature comforts that a big airplane has that small ones don't, however. :yes:

bbchien said:
...and a Vacuum pump.
yes, plus the special tool.
I carried about 40 lbs of spare parts and full tools to Gastons this year....its psychological insurance to guarantee nothing will break! My Parts Life'limit Predictor program says my starter is next.... lets see if its right, I will post here if it goes.

bbchien said:
One day about fifteen years ago I heard a cherokee call Albuquerque center for a ground speed readout (days before GPS). "60 knots". He too was westbound in the summer. A Malibu driver cracked, "I hope he's got a lot of fuel, he's going to be up there for a long time".

The Cherokee driver tutned around and went back to ABQ. The Malibu driver then asked ZAB for diversion to Flagstaff.....to get fuel.

Sigh.

It's always an adventure.

Good grief! Is Michael's experience what I have to look forward in a few years when I might relocate my thrifty 150 to Scottsdale(or Deer Valley)? Well, maybe I'll have a different plane by then.
Even the commercials have their problems. Scottsdale MOM was on Delta(Northwest) from Portland>Cincinnati>Phoenix yesterday. At Cincinnati Westbound had to go waayyyy over to Gate 19 to board. When "they" got there Gate 19 was Orlando-bound. Soooo, back to Gate 2(where Orlando passengers had been erroneously re-directed, and then had to traipse back to Gate 19 and barely making their flight. The whole Cincinnati system was a big foul-up. Ma has huge air-mileage history as an International Travel Planner(retired); and commented that, "Delta has gone to Helta."

HR

Here is the route we took Diana :)
It doesnt look all that impressive from this picture, but I figure 17 hours total flight time, (Fuel, hotels, repairs, food) $1135.00 . Getting to meet everyone from POA...priceless.

Michael

Michael, I think I might have to give the award back for having traveled the greatest distance. However we won't start home until the 12th of July. By the way we had a great time in Chicago. and thanks for all the nice comments from all of you.

Back