It looks like letting the FAA know about approaches works

N1120A

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
N1120A
All,

My inner spod sometimes takes me to the IFP Gateway to look up the development of approaches. Naturally, I tend to look at my common destinations the most. Anyway, KCMA is somewhere I fly a lot (and not just for the restaurant) and I was fairly shocked to see that the FAA had planned on cancelling the VOR approach and leaving only GPS approaches, despite the fact that CMA VOR is a MON VOR (supporting the MON ILS and VOR approaches into KOXR) and maintaining that approach wouldn't take much. Not only was that the final approach I did on my IFR checkride, it is also important for the still prodigious number of planes flying in the area that don't have RNAV/GPS capability. While weather is normally good, it is pretty normal to need approaches in the mornings that are within the VOR's minimums. Anyway, I set up an account and sent an email and got a polite email back about the comment and that they were constantly evaluating.

Well, I noticed that it wasn't being cancelled a few weeks ago, and now they appear to be doing an amendment to the approach to be published in November.

In short, comments work. Approach designers aren't always familiar with local airports and culture and may need some help understanding local needs.

In short, comments work.
We have around here. It's a VOR/DME-A, complete with an arc. Despite a bunch of VOR approaches around here cancelled (including others off the same VOR), AFAIK, this one was never even o the list. Don't know for sure, but we suspect it's because LabCorp uses it. Although it doesn't appear at first glance to offer that much in comparison to circling off the RNAV 24 (same circling minimums), I suspect they like it because it pops you out of the clouds on a nice 45-to-downwind.
upload_2020-7-19_10-43-50.png

Back