"It can't happen to me", I'm Humbled

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
Partially aviation related. I had this syndrome when learning to drive and in the two days prior to this accident. Had my first accident three days after getting the darn license!

Luckily I'm alive and learned and the car is...fixable.

Here's what happened:
Driving home from the airport my stepfather calls and he needs a ride to his cousin's house, he has had a few beers so I don't mind. (This was the 25th by the way, at 930pm.) I pick him up and cops are everywhere, it's memorial day weekend! I drop him off and head back home. The same street I used to get there now has a FRESH, still steaming accident, two cars head on! Fire/EMS pulls up and I get detoured. I know a back road so I plan to use it.

On the back road the lights are out. My car's lights need to be repositioned and I make a mental note of this. The speed limit is 35, I'm doing 30, dumb and happy. Windows down enjoying the quiet. I then hear a floored crown vic's engine roar...Don't see anything. As I round the corner a Cadillac's grille is heading head on toward me and a Crown Victoria is racing it! These guys were blacked out, in black cars and doing no less than 60 or more. I can't pull over, no room! The Cadillac was still coming so I steered toward the Crown Victoria and into the ditch. By the time the two cars passed I was still nosing into the ditch. All of this happened so fast that when I realized what had happened and that I was now in a ditch I just began shaking.

Car dies. I smell coolant's sweet smell, turn the engine off and get a gallon of water to put out any grass fire. I get out, look around, look for witnesses...found an older guy that saw it. He yells out that I had," about a foot to spare" (referring to the near miss). I then look across the street...there is a tree to my right. If I had turned right I would have hit one of the trees or fire hydrants. If I had went another 2-3ft left or right in the ditch, trees and roadsigns.

Got lucky!

I call my mom, cry, blah blah blah, then try to get the car out of the ditch. I see police lights at the end of the street so I figure I'll talk to them once out. I tried taking pictures with a cell phone but the car was dead so no headlights. Here's the damage:
535987_484125161601361_100000116446482_1937242_1523991473_n.jpg

This was taken at home.Note the side of the bumper! The bumper refuses to be pushed back under the car body. Bumper fell off on the left driver's side and a bracket broke as well. Mud on the tires from the ditch.
550748_484125794934631_100000116446482_1937250_1191314569_n.jpg

You can kind of make out my skid into the ditch. Lighting was poor.
536820_484125511601326_751127102_n.jpg
You can see the sign and the ditch looks shallow but it is not! The shoulder like area starts about 5ft behind where I took this picture and ahead has parked cars rendering the road a normal one lane in each direction type of road.

Bumper mount that fell off (below)
521282_484124821601395_100000116446482_1937239_441084913_n.jpg

Another bumper shot:
544965_484139874933223_100000116446482_1937272_246286955_n.jpg

The Cadillac did not move at all and did not even attempt to brake. My personal rationalization afterward was if I got T-boned by the crown vic I might have survived but if I turned right I would have hit a tree and/or fire hydrant. If I had stopped the Caddy was going too fast and would have hit me head on.

In the end I filed a police report with another victim. The lights that I saw at the end of the street was from the same Crown Vic causing an accident. This car however was in brush and had a large scene going on. The officer said he lost two honda's an hour earlier that were street racing. He warned me to be extra careful on my way home. Those two idiots are still out there and I hope that they don't kill anyone! Pretty F'ed up stuff right there. Playing chicken while drag racing.

In the end I learned:

• Idiots Drive
  • Same idea applies to flying. I can stall and spin to my death even if I think it won't happen to me
  • Close calls are one misstep away from a tragedy
  • Don't drive on Memorial Day Weekend after dusk!
  • Align the headlights.
  • Be even more aware of surroundings
  • Don't trust other drivers (or pilots, or ATC)
  • Crash in a controlled fashion if possible
  • Choose to take action instead of waiting for someone else to do so
  • Most importantly- Gut feelings should not be ignored. My mom didn't want me to get him and I had reservations about doing so when I realized what weekend it is.
Here is a pic of the same type of cadillac:
1989-1993-Cadillac-DeVille_size_large.jpg

Obviously the car was not this nice but that chrome bumper saved me! I saw that first.

As for our car I will be working on it this Monday during daylight! Drove a bit today and was shaky at first but got over it. Just amazing to think and then realize how easily you could have died. A few seconds slower and that curve would have killed me. Or the sign would have...or the trees.

Last edited:
Luckily the ride wasn't too bad. Better than flipping but now the car is acting up. Oil leaking, coolant as well, fan is messed up, steering vibrates if turned too much. Bumper makes it look fine. The car died today on the highway and barely got home. Ditch did most of my braking for me.

At your 10th High School reunion, hearing that someone died in a car wreck is slightly shocking. By your 20th it's barely news.

The roads are quite literally, full of idiots.

They're operating 3000 lb machines at 75 MPH or greater, with no real training on and no standards for performance or re-currency, other than that they could parallel park and run a turn signal properly for the duration of 15 minute test, ten or twenty years ago.

My State thinks testing the Emissions of the cars is more important than safety checks. Zero inspections of vehicles other than Emissions. That's their priority. Sure. Makes sense. (Not.)

I'm glad you survived your encounter with people so dumb they don't even know that race clubs exist who have access to tracks to run on, and require proper safety gear, and that drag strips have open days to the public to run their vehicles.

Greg.. Glad you took the ditch instead of a head on.......

Save up some money and put new tires on your ride.... I am surprized the cop that investigated your crash didn't write you a ticket for faulty equipment. The tread depth is marginal at best..:hairraise:

Be happy you picked up your dad and ignored your mom. Just think what would happen if your dad was driving home impaired. He could've killed someone. Good defensive skills on your part!

Greg, so glad your not hurt! There are idiots out there and you have learned this at a young age. Thankfully you had a witness as well. Now you know the why so many parents of teen drivers have angst!

Luckily the ride wasn't too bad. Better than flipping but now the car is acting up. Oil leaking, coolant as well, fan is messed up, steering vibrates if turned too much. Bumper makes it look fine. The car died today on the highway and barely got home. Ditch did most of my braking for me.

Coolant leaking may be an indication of a cracked block. Not good.

Just a small comment: "Had my first accident three days after getting the darn license!"

No, you didn't have an accident - some dumbasses drove you off the road.

One of the lessons I tried to teach my kids when they were learning to drive is that sometimes you can do everything right, and still crash. I remember telling my youngest daughter that, and no more than a couple seconds later three deer jumped in front of us while she was driving.

Good job on deciding not to panic. You made a good decision to make the best of a bad situation and were able to walk away from it. Your car did its job by keeping you alive.

You did fine.

Now quit driving it and tow the car to a shop and get it looked at.

The roads are quite literally, full of idiots.

They're operating 3000 lb machines at 75 MPH or greater, with no real training on and no standards for performance or re-currency...

And no conscience.

Dan

If I saw those idiots get in a wreck, I'd urinate on their bodies and watch them die.

After I was done assisting any victims that might be present.

Very glad that you're okay. In some ways I wish people were required to get an "invulnerability" lesson early on in life. An automobile accident can radically change people's lives in the blink of an eye, and I've seen it first hand. I'm still in my 30's, and here's a list of people I know who have been killed/cripped in car accidents; be very careful out there:

My brother was killed while riding his bicycle at age 13 (hit by a car in front of our house)
My mom was crippled for life when a speeding driver came around a curve and hit our car head on, I felt lucky to only suffer a broken arm.
My very best friend at age 18 (in passenger seat, the driver fell asleep at the wheel and slammed into the back of an 18 wheeler parked on the shoulder, he was ejected and died instantly)
My parent's best-friend's son at age 17 (lost control of his vehicle and was ejected and died shortly after)
My sister-in-law's brother (played baseball for LSU and was killed coming home from a bar)

I feel more comfortable in the air than I do on the road. Maybe it's a rural thing, as my wife (city girl) is completely shocked by the number of automobile accidents around here.

Last edited:
Coolant leaking may be an indication of a cracked block. Not good.

That's what I was thinking :( At first I was happy that the bumper wasn't badly damaged. Then I realized that the damage was not superficial. A car should not just die after a good jolt. If the block is cracked the car is basically totaled. The transmission on a Trailblazer usually goes at about 125-160k miles. Ours has 154k so replacing a block, getting new tires, a new bumper, finding the new steering issue, plus waiting for a transmission to blow is a lot more expensive than the $4800 blue book value (more like scrap now) the thing is worth.

Hopefully the reservoir cracked as in the past. A bit dangerous but it would be the best event. The windshield wiper fluid reservoir cracked over time and then sprang a good gallon/min leak this past winter. I'll check out the damage tomorrow.

Greg.. Glad you took the ditch instead of a head on.......

Save up some money and put new tires on your ride.... I am surprized the cop that investigated your crash didn't write you a ticket for faulty equipment. The tread depth is marginal at best..:hairraise:

The cop was more concerned about the details of what happened. He did look at the the car and told me that the headlight housing has come loose but that was it. The irony is that the same day I was just telling my mom that she needs new tires. The cop actually did not even check for the usual documents. He just had me write down my license #, tag #, report, and phone number. No check of my license or anything. I could have had a warrant for murder out and would have went home. Car could have been stolen.

Wow. Morons drive. The ultimate irony is to be picked off by a 4 -wheeled vehicle when you're a pilot....

It's good that you have an understanding that these things can happen to you.

You didn't do anything wrong, so get that out of your head. Well done. You walked away. Who cares if the car is damaged? Cars are replaceable.

Wow. Morons drive. The ultimate irony is to be picked off by a 4 -wheeled vehicle when you're a pilot....

I monitor DCPilots on yahoo. There was a local CFI that he and his wife were killed on the road a few weeks ago. He was well known.

At your 10th High School reunion, hearing that someone died in a car wreck is slightly shocking. By your 20th it's barely news.

I fit that description.
On my Sr Class trip I met a fellow classmate, initials TP. Great guy, very funny and like able. 1 week before graduation one idiot decided to play Russian Roulette. Now our class was -1. TP was riding with his uncle 1 week after graduation in his 280z when he lost control and split the car in half. Now -2.

Our class was a little over 200 graduates. 15yr reunion about 3-4 dozen showed.

For what it's worth, I don't consider it an accident on your part. You made a decision to take the action that seemed to have the best chance of saving your life. You then executed that decision and accomplished your objective.

That you had a "foot to spare" is both questionable and irrelevant. If the ditch was a safer option, then you made the right decision.

In the winter of 1998, I deliberately totaled my car on a snow-covered mountain road by rolling it over into a ditch because, in my judgment, that was the only way to avoid hitting the two little kids who had sledded into my path as I came around a turn. Not killing the kids was my first priority; trying to do so without killing myself in the process was a close second.

The ditch was the only option that I had, but because it was a steep drop-off, I knew I would roll the car over. So I braced myself and did so. The decision process took probably half a second. There was no other option.

It was not an accident. It was a decision.

So don't beat yourself up. A car is just a machine. They make new ones every day.

-Rich

Very glad that you're okay. In some ways I wish people were required to get an "invulnerability" lesson early on in life. An automobile accident can radically change people's lives in the blink of an eye, and I've seen it first hand. I'm still in my 30's, and here's a list of people I know who have been killed/cripped in car accidents; be very careful out there:

My brother was killed while riding his bicycle at age 13 (hit by a car in front of our house)
My mom was crippled for life when a speeding driver came around a curve and hit our car head on, I felt lucky to only suffer a broken arm.
My very best friend at age 18 (in passenger seat, the driver fell asleep at the wheel and slammed into the back of an 18 wheeler parked on the shoulder, he was ejected and died instantly)
My parent's best-friend's son at age 17 (lost control of his vehicle and was ejected and died shortly after)
My sister-in-law's brother (played baseball for LSU and was killed coming home from a bar)

I feel more comfortable in the air than I do on the road. Maybe it's a rural thing, as my wife (city girl) is completely shocked by the number of automobile accidents around here.

It's just for some reason, Louisiana drivers are the worst drivers ever! I was a courier, for 13 years, that took me all over southern La and I have seen so much driving stupidity on a daily basis. I don't think a day went by with out there being an accident SOMEWHERE! I got lucky and only managed to be in just a few fender benders.

Two of my very good friends left my house at night in heavy rain three weekends ago. They weren't doing 30 mph when the accord didn't quite make the corner, began to roll (no shoulder on this neighborhood st) and hit a tree. 50 yards from my driveway. Driver was fine but his passenger had a severe head injury. Spent some time on a ventilator in the hospital. I went to his funeral last weekend. Both were wearing seatbelts.

Be careful out there.
ae6d07dd-4c52-800e.jpg

About a week or two before my daughter graduated high school, 3 kids were in an accident. 2 kids from her class, and a third who had graduated the previous year. The car was going >80, at night, in a residential area and hit a tree. The three were still in the car when the fire started. The homeowner managed to pull out one kid, but couldn't get to the others. The homeowner got some pretty serious burn injuries. It took a while for the police to determine who was driving, because the car was so mangled. Turns out the only survivor, the driver, was the older kid. He was convicted of a couple counts of manslaughter and is doing prison time.

Parents of the other two kids met with the seniors just before graduation, in an attempt to prevent them from doing something similarly stupid.

I dunno.... never been to compare. But, Louisiana has the highest premiums for auto insurance in the country!

There are a lot of other factors that go into rates besides quality of driving. Everything from medical costs, legal liability limits, court judgements/willingness to settle, road conditions, and insurance types (regular liability vs "no fault") come into play. In some states, an individual's credit score is also used (meaning that states that have a lot of low-score residents might have higher rates).

I don't know enough about the causes of higher premiums in Louisiana - my comment was based on personal observation of drivers behavior as I've traveled to/driven in all 50 states and then some.....

You did the right thing, OP. Glad you're okay!

Come drive in DC. :hairraise:

I learned to drive in NC and I thought people there were bad. I moved up here when I was 24 and good grief, y'all suck at driving up here! Speed limits and signaling are all optional, and heaven forbid you wait for someone to cross the street here.

My best friend rides motorcycles and he says the first rule for riding is that everyone else on the road is trying to kill you. I drive with that mindset.

Two of my very good friends left my house at night in heavy rain three weekends ago. They weren't doing 30 mph when the accord didn't quite make the corner, began to roll (no shoulder on this neighborhood st) and hit a tree. 50 yards from my driveway. Driver was fine but his passenger had a severe head injury. Spent some time on a ventilator in the hospital. I went to his funeral last weekend. Both were wearing seatbelts.

Be careful out there.

I'm very sorry about your friend, and I can easily understand how that accident happened.

We have a lot of roads like that one around here (and a few that are worse): blind curves, steep drop-offs, no guardrails, crumbling pavements, and no shoulders to speak of. Just to make it even more interesting, most have no posted speed limits -- not even on the turns.

Again, my condolences.

-Rich

Or Boston. :D

After spending 5 months in the Boston area in 1969 I had long wondered why Boston drivers were so bad. Then, driving in Rome (Italy) in 1992 it came to me in a blinding flash. They have lots of Italians in Boston. It must be hereditary. :yikes:

Glad you are safe and sound OP! That's definitely the most important thing!

After spending 5 months in the Boston area in 1969 I had long wondered why Boston drivers were so bad. Then, driving in Rome (Italy) in 1992 it came to me in a blinding flash. They have lots of Italians in Boston. It must be hereditary. :yikes:

Don't say that too loudly in South Boston if you go back to visit. Or South Philly for that matter.

Lots of youse guys in the Charles, and the Delaware. :D

I've seen more lunacy on the roads over the years than I can recount easily. I have to admit, I've not been run off the road by racers just yet. If it happened with me on my motorcycle I would have gotten off, turned around, followed and gotten some license numbers. That's assuming I didn't set fire to the cars in question once they were emptied of occupants, or put sugar int eh gas tank, or disabled them income other fashion. Folks like that don't deserve the privilege of operating a motor vehicle.

Back