It aint the Sound of Freedom....

My wife said the news reported that they landed for weather reasons? I can't find the story that says that now.

My wife said the news reported that they landed for weather reasons? I can't find the story that says that now.

Well there have been some lovely t-storm lines marching east most evenings around here lately. I'm thinking I'm ready for the all summer monsoon thing to be over before temps fall below 32F and stay there... ;)

Well there have been some lovely t-storm lines marching east most evenings around here lately. I'm thinking I'm ready for the all summer monsoon thing to be over before temps fall below 32F and stay there... ;)

Haven't turned the furnace on yet, but did put a light blanket on the bed last night. And need to wear a wind breaker taking the dog out in the evening.

I'm always baffled by people who are annoyed by the sound of airplanes that buy houses near long established airports, and then complain about the airplane noise.

They buy houses near long established firing ranges and then complain, too. Some people are too stupid to be allowed out in public.

So how near an airport is too near an airport to complain about the noise.

I live outside of the magenta circle straight north of KAPA (and I think Murphy does too). That's >5nm from the airport. Am I allowed to complain about the noise?

I live outside of the magenta circle straight north of KAPA (and I think Murphy does too). That's >5nm from the airport. Am I allowed to complain about the noise?

I live inside the blue circle @ 3 NM and the noise is NBD. Cessnas, Cirri, and the occasional jet. It really isn't very noticeable but I'm not under final either.

I see the occasional Cessna puttering out to the practice area late at night. The noise is far less than Quebec Ave. or even the distant shoosh of I-25, both of which are continuous background noise.

In any case, what would be the point of complaining?

I live under the departure/ arrival course of 2 GA airports. I hear them if I'm outside or it's really quiet in the house, but that's all.

We almost bought a house under the FAC of Andrews AFB. Fortunately, I went outside and saw the C-141 with flaps/ gear down and told my wife, "no way!"

I remember when your house wasn't there. So I have little sympathy. YMMV.

I remember the fun some folks had when FAA had an answering machine for noise complaints at APA, some smart pilots did a FOIA request for every address that complained, and filed "defective property" notices required to he disclosed by the realtor by law the next time the house sold, in Arapahoe County court, since the phone call "proved" the house had a problem. Tanked a bunch of complainers property values until the Judge got annoyed enough to recommend the FAA disconnect the phone line or answer their phone calls with a live body who didn't have to write anything down.

Last year we had a pair of A-10s and a F-16 swing by our sleepy town. The A-10s did simulated strafing runs over the town. Apparently they were former students saying hello before their squadron changed to UAVs.

The F-16, also a former student saying hi, did a low pass and a afterburner climb out. I remember the radio call. "XXX Traffic, F-16 out of FL220, 15 miles Northwest, inbound low pass" :thumbsup:

The phone rang off the hook for hours with complaints and people thinking we were under attack. :rofl:

Last year we had a pair of A-10s and a F-16 swing by our sleepy town. The A-10s did simulated strafing runs over the town. Apparently they were former students saying hello before their squadron changed to UAVs.

The F-16, also a former student saying hi, did a low pass and a afterburner climb out. I remember the radio call. "XXX Traffic, F-16 out of FL220, 15 miles Northwest, inbound low pass" :thumbsup:

The phone rang off the hook for hours with complaints and people thinking we were under attack. :rofl:

That is gawddam cool.

I was once out at KCLL (College Station) up on a hill just eating my lunch (circa 1997) and watching/listening to aircraft as I loved to do. I heard "Jayhawker ## request low pass" which tower duly granted. It was a freaking B-1 Lancer!! probably out of Dyess AFB? It did two low passes, once dirty and the second clean and they went full afterburner on climb. It was so loud I almost went deaf in my *other* ear! :D

On the way out he actually said "that's the sound of freedom!" :D Of course that was at oh daylight thirty too.

Last edited:
That is gawddam cool.

I was once out at KCLL (College Station) up on a hill just eating my lunch (circa 1997) and watching/listening to aircraft as I loved to do. I heard "Jayhawker ## request low pass" which tower duly granted. It was a freaking B-1 Lancer!! probably out of Dyess AFB? It did two low passes, once dirty and the second clean and they went full afterburner on climb. It was so loud I almost went deaf in my *other* ear! :D

On the way out he actually said "that's the sound of freedom!" :D Of course that was at oh daylight thirty too.

We had a B-52 come and play in our practice area when I was a freshman. The guy dropped in and asked what we were doing. I replied "learning turns around a point" to that he replied "Watch me I'll show you how it's done" No kidding we had a B-52 just above us, like 2000', doing turns around a point. Again he was a former student. He happened to be on a training flight in the area.

That is gawddam cool.

Jayhawker in the mid to late 90's would have been out of McConnell. The AF spent a ton of money upgrading everything to handle the B-1 there, flew them a few years, then consolidated everything to two bases (not McConnell) + Mt. Home.

They don't come much louder than the Prowler.

That ain't no lie, but I think the Harrier gives you guys a good run for your money. Dawn engine runs at Bagram constantly prevented me from getting to sleep after flying all night! And the overhead breaks...

You're allowed to do whatever you want.

I just can't see the justification for complaining about airport noise, since the airport was there when you moved in.

Last edited:
I used to live very close to Langley AFB back in the mid-late 70's. We had a lot of things flying over our house, but not very often at night. The F106 mast have been in the process of being phased out for the F15, so they were both in the air. The occasional F4 would fly over, and once or twice the brand new F14 from would show up. I got conditioned so whenever I heard a T38 fly over, I'd walk across the room to turn up the TV volume because a pair of F15s would be chasing after it about 3 seconds later.

I don't think we ever lost any dishes, but that house would rattle like crazy many times a day. It was really bad when the afterburners would light up. ("Bad" meaning "way cool" for a JR high kid.)

Middle GA has a supersonic corridor over it. WRB's F-15s used to bust Mach on a weekly basis down there until residents started complaining. Then they went to the warning areas to reduce over land flights. Entire house shakes when a boom like that goes off...even at FL490.

We had a B-52 come and play in our practice area when I was a freshman. The guy dropped in and asked what we were doing. I replied "learning turns around a point" to that he replied "Watch me I'll show you how it's done" No kidding we had a B-52 just above us, like 2000', doing turns around a point. Again he was a former student. He happened to be on a training flight in the area.

Should have asked for a steep turn and see if he can hit his own wake.:D

Jayhawker in the mid to late 90's would have been out of McConnell. The AF spent a ton of money upgrading everything to handle the B-1 there, flew them a few years, then consolidated everything to two bases (not McConnell) + Mt. Home.

I wonder if "Jayhawker" was used by the 28th bomb squadron which was at McConnell until '87 and then reformed at Dyess in 1994?

Anyway, that was a very memorable low pass! :D

I've been tipped beyond 60* before by my own wake! I'm not sure I want that to happen to a B-52 circling above me! :hairraise:

What airplane? I've hit my wake plenty and just got a bump.

Back