Issues with Garmin Pilot

Atlcenter

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AtlCenter
I would like to ask you Garmin Pilot users what your experience with this has been. Specifically the direct to function and the safe taxi.

I use it on a nexus 7 and am having issues with the two functions of DIRECT TO and safe taxi. They are for the most part unusable.

Here is my experience with it. Lets say I have one route in it from 49A to KRYY then I want to go DIRECT back to 49A. I press direct and enter 49A for the return trip. The display will show the symbol for DIRECT and then 49A but moments later it reverts to the route of 49A to KRYY. I redo the direct and again moments later it reverts to the route. I tried deleting KRYY from the two points in the route (you have to have one waypoint in the route ????) and then redid the direct to. Now every time it will show something like 49A -> 49A and 0 for all nav data.

This happens every time I use it even in a car.

The other issue is that it will pop up the safe taxi even while in flight by an airport! The only way to stop it is to turn it off.

Sorry for the long text but its the only way I can explain it.

I have sent multiple emails to Garmin starting two version ago about this but it is still not working for me. Using version 2.3.5. The last email I received from them said they are about to release a major rework of the route planning but I haven't seen anything yet.

Thanks,

I have not tried a direct to in a while so I cannot comment on this. But what you are seeing with Safe Taxi is something I have seen on the Nexus 7 version but not on my iPad version. I eventually turned it completely off because it seems to ignore the speed requirement you set up in the settings pages.

I've had the same issue on the Direct To feature. On SmartTaxi I thought there was a speed setting but I'm not finding it.

I've had the same issue on the Direct To feature. On SmartTaxi I thought there was a speed setting but I'm not finding it.

On the first page of the settings area you can find it (Nexus version of Pilot).

I've not run into the DIRECT issue, but have had no problems with safetaxi. However, I'm always driving pilot with an external bluetooth GPS, so perhaps that explains it.

I never use Direct To, preferring to change the active flight plan, so I've not seen that particular glitch.

I've had no issues with SafeTaxi.

On the first page of the settings area you can find it (Nexus version of Pilot).

That's probably where I remember seeing it. But I was looking on the iPad Verizon where it doesn't exist.

Which points up another problem with GP: inconsistent UI and feature set between platforms. I think they've committed to reconciling them this year. We will see.

I would like to ask you Garmin Pilot users what your experience with this has been. Specifically the direct to function and the safe taxi.

I use it on a nexus 7 and am having issues with the two functions of DIRECT TO and safe taxi. They are for the most part unusable.

Here is my experience with it. Lets say I have one route in it from 49A to KRYY then I want to go DIRECT back to 49A. I press direct and enter 49A for the return trip. The display will show the symbol for DIRECT and then 49A but moments later it reverts to the route of 49A to KRYY. I redo the direct and again moments later it reverts to the route. I tried deleting KRYY from the two points in the route (you have to have one waypoint in the route ????) and then redid the direct to. Now every time it will show something like 49A -> 49A and 0 for all nav data.

This happens every time I use it even in a car.

The other issue is that it will pop up the safe taxi even while in flight by an airport! The only way to stop it is to turn it off.

Sorry for the long text but its the only way I can explain it.

I have sent multiple emails to Garmin starting two version ago about this but it is still not working for me. Using version 2.3.5. The last email I received from them said they are about to release a major rework of the route planning but I haven't seen anything yet.

Thanks,

Send an email ( through the help button) to Garmin. They are amazingly accommodating and interested in glitches.

I never use Direct To, preferring to change the active flight plan, so I've not seen that particular glitch.

QUOTE]
That's how I use it also. I haven't had occasion to use Safe Taxi.

No flying today, thunderstorms all day and into this evening, but I left myself a note to test the Direct function next time out.

major update just released.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I hope so. I loaded in the flight plan for my ride from EWR to SEA last night and when I zoomed in on parts of the path the VFR sectionals did not show up. Kind of put a damper on what I wanted to show the Navy Growler pilot seated next to me in 1st class. He was impressed with Flight Aware (where I got the flight plan). Downloaded that to his iPhone.

The speed is 40kts but it is not changeable it is fixed.

I've not run into the DIRECT issue, but have had no problems with safetaxi. However, I'm always driving pilot with an external bluetooth GPS, so perhaps that explains it.

Garmin sent an email in response to my telling them about it and they have suggested that it is a GPS signal issue. I have never seen the GPS indicator on the nexus go out at the time I was having the problem but it may not be that reliable. I ordered a DUAL today to see if that fixes it.

Revision 5.0.2 just hit the App Store. To fix more bugs...

Send an email ( through the help button) to Garmin. They are amazingly accommodating and interested in glitches.
Update to my post on Garmin Pilot.

I have been in contact with Garmin about the Direct To function problem. They seem to think the problem is that the internal GPS is loosing the GPS signal but today I tried it with a Dual external GPS unit and I still have the same problem!

It seems to me the software should stay on in the Direct To even if the signal is lost so it will be in the direct to mode when the signal is restored and not revert to the last route.

If any of you have any experience with the Garmin Pilot please post it here. I am so frustrated with this product because of this issue.

Thanks,

Update to my post on Garmin Pilot.

I have been in contact with Garmin about the Direct To function problem. They seem to think the problem is that the internal GPS is loosing the GPS signal but today I tried it with a Dual external GPS unit and I still have the same problem!

It seems to me the software should stay on in the Direct To even if the signal is lost so it will be in the direct to mode when the signal is restored and not revert to the last route.

If any of you have any experience with the Garmin Pilot please post it here. I am so frustrated with this product because of this issue.

Thanks,

I will try Direct To on my next flight. For whatever reason, when I got the Nexus 7 I got in the habit of using the Active Flight plan mode (rather than Direct To), so I've never experienced this problem.

Back