Isn't this just a turboprop

Shmabey.
But like a lot of things, the technology is finally catching up to where we can actually build it. and make it work.

And the same PR problem that existed 20 years ago still exists today. The general flying public views "propeller aircraft" as more dangerous and don't want to fly them.

Hence why, even though turbo props make more sense for short haul flights, the airlines mostly use small jets instead.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

There was an MD-80 flying around with this back in the 1980s.. NASA had some nice promotional stuff. We were supposed to be flying on these things by the mid 90s

I don't know why this is suddenly in the news again. It saw fantastic fuel efficiency gains then, but it was too loud. I wonder what they've done to make it quieter

What makes a duct inefficient? I was under the impression ducting helps by eliminating tip vortices. The Airbus electric fan concept plane uses ducted fans

I don't know why this is suddenly in the news again. It saw fantastic fuel efficiency gains then, but it was too loud. I wonder what they've done to make it quieter

Good observations, also add the open fan design is much more susceptible to blade damage on the ramp and runway FOD.

Shmabey.
But like a lot of things, the technology is finally catching up to where we can actually build it. and make it work.
It could have been built "back in the day". It was, and it was tested. I work for that company. But fuel prices moderated, and 'Mericans hate props.

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better...stronger...faster."

Marketing.

Call is a ducted fan jet. Put a large duct around it.

Marketing.

Call is a ducted fan jet. Put a large duct around it.
"Unducted" fan jet. "Open" fan jet.

Seems like it is already happening now; already in production.

dWO8G.jpg

TBM-w-5-blade-composite-1.jpg

Back