is work/life balance counseling reportable?

W

worker bee

My workplace offers a "confidential" employee assistance program that provides counseling sessions with a social worker for work/life balance issues. It is "free" in that it is covered by insurance. Is this reportable from an aeromedical perspective?

The only exemptions from reporting in this area are “Routine dental, eye and FAA periodic medical examinations...” Also “...consultations with your employer- sponsored employee assistance program (EAP) may be excluded unless the consultations were for substance abuse or the consultations resulted in referral for psychiatric evaluation or treatment, or a diagnosis of psychiatric disease.

The only exemptions from reporting in this area are “Routine dental, eye and FAA periodic medical examinations...” Also “...consultations with your employer- sponsored employee assistance program (EAP) may be excluded unless the consultations were for substance abuse or the consultations resulted in referral for psychiatric evaluation or treatment, or a diagnosis of psychiatric disease.

How is it not going to result in a diagnosis of psychiatric disease if insurance pays for it? They have to put some kind of code.

a john doe? No. A licensed counselor etc ... yes.

Hmmmmmm......

Many ministers provide counseling and are trained and licensed to do so, and the counseling includes religious guidance. In fact, some ministers require pre-marital counseling before they will perform a wedding, as just one example.

I wouldn’t think matters of religion would be required to be reported. Are they? Seems like privileged communication.

Yeah, I have little faith in the licensing of "counselors" or social workers. I also put little faith in a single diagnosis by a single doctor having had a couple of misdiagnoses over the years.

Also family counseling that doesn't result in an individual diagnosis. But it sounds like this would fall under the EAP exemption.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back