Is This Pilot a Jerk?

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
Okay, no set up here. Just a place to share weird things you've seen other pilots do or say on the radio. Maybe a CTAF call that grinds your grears or a pilot that cut you off in the pattern. Skies the limit here...literally!

I don't even have an example. It's an open 'jerk' thread with a pilot theme. No digging on pilots that post here though cause I already know who it's going to be about...:wink2:

Some CAP taking off wrong way as I was on final. Said he didn't hear my traffic calls.
:nono:

Ya gotta understand that at an uncontrolled field MY active runway is what I say it is.
You don't get to choose for me :D
Now taking off AT incoming traffic on a short final is a no-no, even in my book.

Ya gotta understand that at an uncontrolled field MY active runway is what I say it is.
You don't get to choose for me :D
Now taking off AT incoming traffic on a short final is a no-no, even in my book.

I've had issues with that, we've got an uncontrolled field where the two runways intersect. Coming into the pattern I called downwind for 11, someone calls that he'll be taxiing on to 25 and instead just starts a rollout. I could see that by the time he would be rotating I'd be on a short final for 11 crossing the runway he's using. The threshold of 11 is at midfield 25. I'm not certain he ever heard or saw me, so I pulled back up to pattern altitude crossed mid field and dropped into a downwind for 25, kind of cut him off but whatever.

Later I could tell from his calls he was a student with an instructor (instructor corrected some of his calls), not sure why the instructor wouldn't have them sit there and wait until I landed or cleared the runway.

I once called takeoff RWY 5 at KCPK, never heard any a/c in the pattern, didn't hear anyone on final, did the mandatory 360 turn and right there was a cessna coming in for touch and go. It was a student/instructor who did not have the local frequency dialed in/ not talking to anyone; not cool. I tried repeatedly reaching them on guard/local freq. They were in lala land.

C'Mon give him a break, he's trying (I think) to turn over a new leaf.

I've had CAP planes do all sorts of weird things. I have chocked it up to a ferret that lives in their airplanes and claws at their privates while they try to fly - it really is the only explanation.

I once called takeoff RWY 5 at KCPK, never heard any a/c in the pattern, didn't hear anyone on final, did the mandatory 360 turn and right there was a cessna coming in for touch and go. It was a student/instructor who did not have the local frequency dialed in/ not talking to anyone; not cool. I tried repeatedly reaching them on guard/local freq. They were in lala land.

They ain't required to talk to anyone. Which is why you do a 360 and look. See the system works without all the talky talk.

The jerkiest thing I have heard was two guys having a knock-down drag-out fight on the advisory frequency. They were answering each other so quickly that there was no opportunity to broadcast my position and intentions. Finally, I got the idea of keying up to make my call just before one of them was about to end a transmission. That worked.

I resolved right then and there never to argue on the CTAF.

How about some buffoon at F45 (North Palm Beach) entering the pattern for the runway going upwind exactly opposite direction, same altitude, as downwind traffic for the proper runway given the wind! The downwind traffic had to give way to the upwind buffoon.

How about some buffoon at F45 (North Palm Beach) entering the pattern for the runway going upwind exactly opposite direction, same altitude, as downwind traffic for the proper runway given the wind! The downwind traffic had to give way to the upwind buffoon.

There is a good chance that pilot was driving an ox cart in India the week before...:D:eek:

Biggest jerk I've ran in to (actually, he almost ran in to me.)

"Napa Tower, Arrow 123SA is at Budweiser landing with Tango."

"Arrow 3SA make straight in for 24, report the tanks."

"Napa Tower, Bonanza 666MF is over downtown Fairfield with Tango."

"Bonanza 6MF, make straight in for 24, number two, report the tanks."

"Napa Tower, Arrow 3SA is at the Tanks."

"Arrow 3SA, you are cleared to land 24."

WHOOOSH! The Bonanza passes me directly overhead, with maybe 20 feet clearance max. He almost takes me out.

"Napa tower, holy s**t, the Bonanza just passed me overhead, he nearly hit me!"

"Arrow 3SA, you were supposed to follow the Bonanza."

"Noooo, remember, you cleared me to land!"

"Okay (oops, now I remember), Bonanza 6MF, do a go around, make left traffic, follow the Arrow on short final."

The tower appropriately bitched out the Bonanza afterwards as I was landing (thank you). I wanted to give the pilot a piece of my own mind, but couldn't track him down. Must have gone to a remote hangar.

I came across a couple jerky pilots when I was still a student.
One time, I made all my radio call for runway 31: entering 45 for 31, downwind 31, base for 31, then final for 31. I was on short final when I saw another plane about to land on 13! I never heard him on the radio, nor saw him. I aborted the landing and went around. After I landed, I went inside to see if he was there and say something, but he had already left. I complained to the management, but they just said he was a doctor there for a conference, and too bad for me. I was only a student and they didn't care what I had to say.

Another time, same place, a pilot took me for a ride in his Cirrus. Then he treated me like a hooker. I was too shocked to even respond, I just walked away. I later complained to my instructor, but he didn't care and did nothing. The pilot in question is a lawyer and drops quite a bit of money at that airport so they didn't care what I had to say. I left that airport.

I came across a couple jerky pilots when I was still a student.
One time, I made all my radio call for runway 31: entering 45 for 31, downwind 31, base for 31, then final for 31. I was on short final when I saw another plane about to land on 13! I never heard him on the radio, nor saw him. I aborted the landing and went around. After I landed, I went inside to see if he was there and say something, but he had already left. I complained to the management, but they just said he was a doctor there for a conference, and too bad for me. I was only a student and they didn't care what I had to say.

Another time, same place, a pilot took me for a ride in his Cirrus. Then he treated me like a hooker. I was too shocked to even respond, I just walked away. I later complained to my instructor, but he didn't care and did nothing. The pilot in question is a lawyer and drops quite a bit of money at that airport so they didn't care what I had to say. I left that airport.

"treated me like a hooker" as in tried to grab you for some touching?

I've had CAP planes do all sorts of weird things. I have chocked it up to a ferret that lives in their airplanes and claws at their privates while they try to fly - it really is the only explanation.

I sat at the airport one day and it was a bit windy, maybe 15kts mostly down the runway. I watched a series of the most terrifying landings I'd ever seen from a CAP 172. His radio calls were terrible at best too (tower, and plane is based here). A couple of his landings I thought he may have to be assisted off the runway. Figured it was a solo student. No. CFI was with him :eek:

Does it have to be radio call stories? Line service has given me hundreds of 'WTF what he thinking' moments.

Yeah I hate that.

"No ma'am, I am NOT a gigolo!"

Sounds like you do not resemble the grossly overweight guy I'm talking about. He looks like he is going to drop dead of a heart attack.

:wink2:
Happens to me all the time too.

Hey, everyone needs some lovin - some people just gotta pay for it :D

I guess that is what the saying means, "money can't buy happiness, but it can help you rent some." :wink2:

Sounds like you do not resemble the grossly overweight guy I'm talking about. He looks like he is going to drop dead of a heart attack.

Whoa. Well, I guess up front payment would have to be a must.

(just kidding, sorry, I couldn't resist!)

I worst offender I've come across so far was a cessna pilot who not only decided to take off immediately after me without announcing (@FDK before it became towered) but did so before I even climb out. To make matters worse, rather than overtake me to the side, he/she decided to attempt to out climb me. Landing gear is not something you want to see through your rotor disk.

Does it have to be radio call stories? Line service has given me hundreds of 'WTF what he thinking' moments.

Nope. If its aviation related and involves a pilot somehow you're good go...

It sucks but what was your CFI supposed to do about it?

How about tell the pilot he was completely inappropriate and don't treat students that way? How about don't treat women that way? That CFI is a spineless wimp.

How about tell the pilot he was completely inappropriate and don't treat students that way? How about don't treat women that way? That CFI is a spineless wimp.

White Knighting is not a requirement for getting your CFI. Being an equal adult why didn't you tell him yourself?

Coming back to the home airport after just getting my private ticket, I was on short final when a biplane does a 360 at the hold short line, heads to the runway and begins his takeoff roll.

I never knew what those 360's were for. Apparently they are not to look for traffic on short final...

White Knighting is not a requirement for getting your CFI. Being an equal adult why didn't you tell him yourself?

Yeah I should have, but I was too stunned at the time, and I never saw him again.

I forgot to mention, the CFI arranged the whole thing, so he did have some responsibility for me being there.

Last edited:
Coming back to the home airport after just getting my private ticket, I was on short final when a biplane does a 360 at the hold short line, heads to the runway and begins his takeoff roll.

I never knew what those 360's were for. Apparently they are not to look for traffic on short final...

The whole Red Baron steerman team did that to me. I was on 1/4 mile final, they rolled onto the runway and stopped. I would so loved to have just dropped it in in front of them, but I was presolo so my CFI used it as a chance to show me my first go around.

TCM engines, coolers bolted to the block...

Good point, forgot about that. So disconnect one of the lines going to the turbo. Or leave the drain plug on by just enough that it won't leak but won't stay on long.

We can get this done one way or another. ;)

Good point, forgot about that. So disconnect one of the lines going to the turbo. Or leave the drain plug on by just enough that it won't leak but won't stay on long.

We can get this done one way or another. ;)

Note to self, never **** off Ted:hairraise:

A guy from a neighboring airport flew his late model 172 up one morning to get new tires put on it. When he landed he got out and raised holy heck with an instructor and a student for not acknowledging his radio calls and giving him their positions when he came in to land. So the same pilot flew him back to his airport and got a reaming all the way back. Later in the day I got the new tires on his plane and flew it down to his airport for him. The earlier pilot flew down there to pick me up and bring me back. As soon as I got in the air I tried to call the pilot who was picking me up and he wouldn't respond. Got down to the owner's home airport and there were two planes in the pattern with students and the pilot who was picking me up. I tried to communicate but realized that I could receive but that I was not transmitting. Tried the hand held mic, no go, so I just slid in between the two students, hit the ground and got off the runway as fast as I could. I got an ear full from the two instructors over the radio, but I had to get it on the ground. So I parked the guys plane and I left a sticky note on the yoke that the radio was not transmitting. Next day the owner called in and told my boss that I had broken his radio.

Last edited:
A guy from a neighboring airport flew his late model 172 up one morning to get new tires put on it. When he landed he got out and raised holy heck with an instructor and a student for not acknowledging his radio calls and giving him their positions when he came in to land. So the same pilot flew him back to his airport and got a reaming all the way back. Later in the day I got the new tires on his plane and flew it down to his airport for him. The earlier pilot flew down there to pick me up and bring me back. As soon as I got in the air I tried to call the pilot who was picking me up and he wouldn't respond. Got down to the owner's home airport and there were two planes in the pattern with students and the pilot who was picking me up. I tried to communicate but realized that I could receive but that I was not transmitting. Tried the hand held mic, no go, so I just slid in between the two students, hit the ground and got off the runway as fast as I could. I got an ear full from the two instructors, but I had to get it on the ground. So I parked the guys plane and I left a sticky note on the yoke that the radio was not transmitting. Next day the owner called in and told my boss that I had broken his radio.

Interesting story. Did you have to buy him a new radio?

Back