Is This Pilot a Jerk?

Maybe you're not really upset that he offered money, but that he didn't offer you what you thought you were worth. :D

Do this reply qualify the pilot of the title of this thread :rofl:

Do this reply qualify the pilot of the title of this thread :rofl:

It's hard to read but I think he's calling you a jerk EdFred for that comment and I agree with him. Whole heartedly. I can't believe you thought that let alone decided it was a good idea to post it.

I really need to research that 'ignore' feature.

It's hard to read but I think he's calling you a jerk EdFred for that comment and I agree with him. Whole heartedly. I can't believe you thought that let alone decided it was a good idea to post it.

It is slightly funny, and clearly labeled as a joking comment to an unfortunate learning situation that turned out more or less "OK"....

Back before the Georgetown Texas airport (KGTU) had a tower I was doing some dual training there on a Saturday afternoon. The pattern was saturated with traffic, and I was turing final to runway 18 (5000 feet). A Kitfox was ahead of us.

I see the Kitfox touch down on the numbers and then crawl at walking speed towards the first turn off, a mere 2,500 feet ahead of him. Off course we had to go around, as did the airplane behind us.

That jerk could easily have touched down a bit further down the runway, or at lease expedited his taxi. But no. He was a jerk.

Back before the Georgetown Texas airport (KGTU) had a tower I was doing some dual training there on a Saturday afternoon. The pattern was saturated with traffic, and I was turing final to runway 18 (5000 feet). A Kitfox was ahead of us.

I see the Kitfox touch down on the numbers and then crawl at walking speed towards the first turn off, a mere 2,500 feet ahead of him. Off course we had to go around, as did the airplane behind us.

That jerk could easily have touched down a bit further down the runway, or at lease expedited his taxi. But no. He was a jerk.

Technically he was being safe. I'll accept unskilled, and ignorant, jerk unlikely unless he did it on purpose, which would be jerky but funny.

Considering I've shaken Ron's hand before, I know exactly what he's saying - and can hear him saying it.

It is slightly funny, and clearly labeled as a joking comment to an unfortunate learning situation that turned out more or less "OK"....

Unfortunate learning situation....sure. I learned to think twice before accepting any rides from any pilots, pretty much the same how I would never hitchhike. Pretty sad, I thought pilots were a better bunch. Doesn't seem like, some (most?) are just as sleazy as the general population.

Unfortunate learning situation....sure. I learned to think twice before accepting any rides from any pilots, pretty much the same how I would never hitchhike. Pretty sad, I thought pilots were a better bunch. Doesn't seem like, some (most?) are just as sleazy as the general population.

Oh, the percentages are close to the same as the general population, it's just a different kind of sleazy.

these threads about inconsiderate pilots make me think of inconsiderate boaters who when you want to launch your boat go out of their way to take their time getting their boats into the water. Especially at night when the mosquitoes are out and you want to go to bed it is a drag to wait for 20 minutes or more for someone to even back up his car to a lone boat ramp which he has blocked.

I also hate it when I let someone play through in golf and they then decided to fiddle around and go slow after you let them play through.

I guess my point is that jerks are in our society. My dad tried to be very considerate of others in the air, on the golf course, and at the boat ramp. I appreciate his example.

I also hate it when I let someone play through in golf and they then decided to fiddle around and go slow after you let them play through.

I feel your pain on the slowpokes at the boat ramp and especially the golf course..... my solution for the duffers on the links is to give them a verbal warning , then I will hit several balls at them on the next hole.... They will either speed up or drive their cart straight to the pro shack to complain... Either way, I/ we play through... and are laughing our a$$es off the whole time..

I've had CAP planes do all sorts of weird things. I have chocked it up to a ferret that lives in their airplanes and claws at their privates while they try to fly - it really is the only explanation.

Ahh, you've met the right-seater, I see. ;)

Scene:
You're in the midwest somewhere. Minnesota, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming... you get the idea. You see forecast "High chance of thunderstorms" - You elect to keep your very large aircraft outside, despite the fact the FBO has enough space for you in its hangar, though it's expensive ($200 for a citation, and climbs the larger they get) so you say "only put me in if it hails." Well, once it's already HAILING we're not going to put you in, so please call.. we'll do everything we can - first come first serve. Hail begins. No one calls before. Frantic calls. "WHY DIDN'T YOU PUT ME IN THE HANGAR??? WHAT KIND OF BUSINESS IS THIS?"

That pilot is a jerk.

Scene:
You're in the midwest somewhere. Minnesota, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming... you get the idea. You see forecast "High chance of thunderstorms" - You elect to keep your very large aircraft outside, despite the fact the FBO has enough space for you in its hangar, though it's expensive ($200 for a citation, and climbs the larger they get) so you say "only put me in if it hails." Well, once it's already HAILING we're not going to put you in, so please call.. we'll do everything we can - first come first serve. Hail begins. No one calls before. Frantic calls. "WHY DIDN'T YOU PUT ME IN THE HANGAR??? WHAT KIND OF BUSINESS IS THIS?"

That pilot is a jerk.

I agree. Sort of like the sign, "if you wanted it yesterday why didn't you bring it in last week."

Is the guy a jerk who gets the last space open at an FBO during the storm, then gets moved to a large 3 sided t hangar so fire fighting aircraft don't have to fly an hour to a fire (even though they did 1 night so said aircraft could stay in big hangar) out of line here? I witnessed this and I was horrified. The guy refused to pay for any of his 3 nights of hangar (2 open hangar I think) and after insulting the line guy got a fuel discount too. The line guy said to him there was a chance he'd get moved since he was the very last airplane and locals get priority including fire fighters. I tipped the line guys pretty good after I heard that guy :(

99% of our fly-in hotel guests are wonderful...

And then, there's that 1%. :D

We've had pilots...

...break the windshield on our courtesy car, and then get mad at US because we had no other car for them to use. (And, no, they did not offer to pay the damages.)

...demand another car when the courtesy cars were in use.

...try to chisel us down on the price of their room, that includes free use of a vehicle and breakfast, delivered to their room. After they topped off their Baron.

...cancel at the last minute claiming weather issues...when we have ADDS weather showing perfect VFR weather along their route of flight.

On the flip side, I've received more from our fly-in guests than I could ever repay. This would include...

...an aerobatic ride in a Decathlon

...an aerobatic ride in an RV-8

...countless pieces of artwork and aviation memorabilia...(Why, just last month we were given a complete ejection seat, which is now in the Blackbird Room!)

...fishing trips, lots of fresh fish (that they caught while here, and didn't want to take home), and a few hundred beers...

...thousands of hours of great camaraderie and friendship!

As you can see, these wonderful experiences over the last 11 years have more than offset any aggravation caused by the 1%.

I strongly disagree with anyone who says pilots are just as "sleazy" as the rest of the world. In my experience, fully half of the general public are either dumb as posts, dishonest, or both. In the pilot community, that number drops down to 1%, or less.

I like those odds.

Great insight! Thanks for sharing it.

Through bad experience, I learned cautious optimism early on due to my guard being down among pilots, because of Jay's view, which may be correct.

Hey guys not trying to spam here because I love Pilots of America but I think if you're a pilot or aviation enthusiast, you should really check us out at SkyChattr.com. We're taking things to new heights!!:wink2:

Hey guys not trying to spam here because I love Pilots of America but I think if you're a pilot or aviation enthusiast, you should really check us out at SkyChattr.com. We're taking things to new heights!!:wink2:

Oops. You did anyway. Spam that is.

Yeah - some buffoon calling himself "Captain" !!!

Hey!
I AM a Captain.
I was a Captain in the Air Force.
I'm a Captain in the Guard.
AND,
I'm a licensed ship Captain.
but I don't call myself "Captain" on the radio.
That's just too weird, even for me.

Back