Is this pilot a jerk?

My airplane is very well cared for, now you people leave me alone... (10 minutes later). Wait just a moment, which one of you fast talking people with strong accents moved the runway?

:hairraise: Look at that track! The guy was no where near CYN or Dixie. I'd vote for dip at 6K in the afternoon I don't see him getting hypoxic.

Last edited:
Well, this would be a good test of whether or not the new FAA policy is resulting in more pilot deviation reports.

Judging by his FA track....I suspect his idea of 'my instruments are...fine leave me alone' was based on his GPS tracking DIRECT and not his cleared routing....

The audio didn't have altitude info. Probably not hypoxic.

The blue dashed line is what he was cleared for... He probably didn't even copy down the damn clearance.

All joking aside he should of gotten a number to call. There is no reason anyone should ever act like that, especially in that kind of airspace.

All joking aside he should of gotten a number to call. There is no reason anyone should ever act like that, especially in that kind of airspace.

I have little doubt he was given a number to call.

And it's people like him with attitudes like that why I'm starting to not like the east coast. What a douche.

Yes, but was he able to copy it? ...

If not the message will get delivered in the mail with a note saying "Be here on this date or we will take action against your certificate. This just shows that even instrument rated commercial pilots can be idiots.

Haha "just leave me alone" :rofl:

Her response should have been, "I'd leave you alone sir but I'm concerned for all the other pilots in the area"

I'm embarrassed
just listening to that. Problem is I've heard similar too often.

We may be going a little hard on the guy and his well maintained airplane. I just looked at his track and he did manage to keep in the same hemisphere.

I'm embarrassed
just listening to that. Problem is I've heard similar too often.

That was a bit tough to listen to. It really amazes me how some have so little ability to self-evaluate and realize where the problem might begin. Wow. :confused:

Wow! Comical and crazy at the same time. "Do you know who you are talking to sir!?!" LOL :lol:

My other favorite stupid New York pilot trick was the clown who asked approach to land on the beach, was told no, and then faked an emergency and went ahead with it anyway.

I hope the FSDO shows no mercy to these idiots!

I don't think this guy was impaired at all- if you look at his track vs. his clearance, it's considerably more direct. He was just being a jerk.

"Woulda pulled it off, too... if it weren't for those pesky meddling controllers..." :rolleyes:

I'll bet he is a VFR pilot equipped with an auto-pilot (and other "wow" gadgets..."very well maintained") My 2 cnts. :yikes:

Don't we all know people like that?

They're in every airport coffee shop and you can't do more than say, "Hi" and you'll know about all their ratings, tens of thousands of hours, etc. From then on you also get a free ground lesson every time you see them whether you want one or not. One day when you foolishly agree to fly with them and scare yourself beyond any other experience in life so far, then you know the real deal.

Wa? Lots of great friendly pilots here.

Yeah, I made a gross generalization. There are clowns everywhere, just seems they are heavily concentrated in this area. I have met a good share of genuinely decent people since I've been around the Mid-Atlantic. Problem is, I've met a fair share of people like this guy, too.

There is a bend in V16 from JFK to CYN at DIXIE. He apparently forgot to program that bend into his flight plan and was flying direct JFK to CYN. He was right of V16 but thought he was on it. She is trying to get him back on V16 but he is sure he already is on V16 so he is balking. Not excusing his behavior. Also "Good luck" x 2 = LOL.

If you plot the last flight aware hit from NY TRACON, you'll find it is directly inline with the line from JFK to ENO. Looks like since his clearance was JFK V16 ENO he went direct ENO not paying attention to the fact that V16 isn't a straight line between those two points. FlightAware shows his filed plan as CCC V16 ENO but I can almost bet that was amended to take him direct over JFK which is what they usually do.

As someone else points out, McGuire's RADAR doesn't report any points so the next point after that is when he pops up in the vicinity of his destination in PCT airspace.

He also shows up at 22:40 on this clip
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kjfk/KJFK-NY-Dep-Jun-17-2012-2000Z.mp3

complaining about another aircraft ("I don't have tape measure."). It's our favorite JFK controller (talk about an accent).

and at 29:50 or so he asks if he is really on V16.

Here's the LIVE ATC feed of stuff in the YouTube video:
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kewr/NY-App-Liberty-Jun-17-2012-2030Z.mp3

Last edited:
He sounds quite confident but completely wrong, which is commonly seen in IT. He's probably in charge of a software development group. :rofl: (Kidding...)

He sounds quite confident but completely wrong, which is commonly seen in IT. He's probably in charge of a software development group. :rofl: (Kidding...)

Actually he sounds like certain forum posters that claim to be commercial pilots :)

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. I think you guys ought to cut him some slack; after all, people compliment him on the accuracy of his instruments. :rofl:

You may be kidding, but you're probably not wrong! :rofl:
Actually he sounds like certain forum posters that claim to be commercial pilots :)
:rofl:
Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. I think you guys ought to cut him some slack; after all, people compliment him on the accuracy of his instruments. :rofl:
Welcome. And hey - you may be right!

Back