Is this legal?

3393RP

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
3393RP
I was watching an episode of a new History channel Alaska reality show Power and Ice earlier this evening. It's about crews working on the Alaskan power distribution system while battling ice and snow (a new concept for Alaska reality shows :D ).

The line crew was being flown in a turbine de Havilland Beaver (a nice looking example of course), looking for repairs needed to be made to a high tension line on Kodiak Island. I noticed the pilot's yoke had been modified by the application of caribou leather laced on the grips.

Is this legal? I didn't notice a placard, and a quick internet search didn't reveal any STCs for this DHC-2 modification.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes, it is legal to wrap your yoke in leather. I don't think the regs specify which animal need one the source of the leather, either.

tumblr_inline_no2cerfdjT1rzo9sd_500.gif

Yes, it is legal to wrap your yoke in leather. I don't think the regs specify which animal need one the source of the leather, either.

Wait!!! Do you have the PETA certificate documenting the humanely raised leather? Also the EPA certificate indicating the use of green tanning techniques and fluids? Certified disposal of same? The FAA isn't the only letter group with an oar in this boat....

What about wrapping the taxi light?

You guys need a joke alert. :D

Maybe it wasn't the greatest bit of humor but I tried. ;)

Now when you say caribou was applied to the yokes, does that mean the head is mounted to the yoke shaft and the horns are the handles?

I'm a little lost as how you could identify it as caribou without a significant chunk of the animal on the yoke.

but isnt the the wrap a part and therefore requires a PMA to install, also don't you need a tech order or TSO to install it? :D

It's legal if the registered owner of the aircraft is Inupiat, Yupik, Aleut, Eyak, Tlingit, Haida or Tsimshian. Otherwise hell no it ain't legal.

The replies are getting better... :D

Wait!!! Do you have the PETA certificate documenting the humanely raised leather? Also the EPA certificate indicating the use of green tanning techniques and fluids? Certified disposal of same? The FAA isn't the only letter group with an oar in this boat....

If God didn't want us using leather, he wouldn't have created animals wrapped in leather. Also if he didn't want us eating them he wouldn't have created them out of meat.

That is all I wanted to say on this topic.

Carry on.

Back