• No, the Driver deserved it.

Votes: 13 15.5%

• Total voters

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
So, I'm jogging with a friend in a surban area. We get to a cross walk and we have the green light and a little white 'WALK' symbol so we proceed into the intersection.

There is cross traffic stopped at the light and one of the cars has stopped WAY into the cross walk to the point where the crosswalk is completely covered. I arc to go around the front of said car but my friend leaps onto the hood, stops and faces the driver (middle aged woman) and says, "This is a Crosswalk!".

He then jumps off and continues to jog like nothing happened.

So, is my friend a jerk or is that funny as he was within his right to be annoyed.

Both , the lady might remember next time to stop where she is supposed to and that is probably what it would take for it to sink in . But on the other hand , if he messed up her hood at all , he would be liable , she would sue him , blah blah blah emotional damage. .

But again , good for him ... I would have LOVED to see the look on her face :yikes:

Sounds a tad over the top, but that's just me.

She also could have feared a car jack and driven off in a hurry injuring or killing you and or your friend.

She also could have feared a car jack and driven off in a hurry injuring or killing you and or your friend.

I've had crazy homeless people give me the stare down because they thought I was intruding on their crossing space, and I've had my foot close to the gas, just in case....

There are some situations where a runner can be on the curb before a driver has a chance to see a them coming and delay advancing into the intersection. Joggers should be aware of this and prepare to slow down, check things out before crossing, not sprint blindly along like they own the show.
Escalating/aggravating a bad situation is never a good thing. Give a little, be tolerant. Heck it's a middle aged woman, anyone here ever have a mom?

Both , the lady might remember next time to stop where she is supposed to and that is probably what it would take for it to sink in . But on the other hand , if he messed up her hood at all , he would be liable , she would sue him , blah blah blah emotional damage. .

But again , good for him ... I would have LOVED to see the look on her face :yikes:

The look on her face was about the same as the look on my face...flabbergasted. The difference is when he jumped off my dropped jaw turned into a smile and hers not so much.

; )

I know people who would have shot the guy for doing that. That's simply a crazy, irresponsible, stupid thing to do.

I, on the other hand, would merely have THREATENED to kill him. I'm getting too old to beat people up anymore. :lol:

Although if there was so much as a scratch on my hood, I would have beat the crap out of him. (Well, except he's a jogger, so I probably couldn't catch him anymore... :D )

So, is my friend a jerk or is that funny as he was within his right to be annoyed.

You friend is an arse.

Jumping on someone's car is a good way to get your butt kicked. Maybe he got brave because the driver was a middle-aged woman.

I've had crazy homeless people give me the stare down because they thought I was intruding on their crossing space, and I've had my foot close to the gas, just in case....

Hell , people do that when they J walk in front of you around here. They just don't understand the relationship between my brush guard and the possible picture of their sneakers in the roadway on the 5 o clock news.

Funny? Property damage for being in a crosswalk? Frightining a middle-aged woman? And you laughed when he jumped off?

I'm surprise you would think this is even worth making a poll.

Your friend is an idiot. Same with his friend.

Last edited:
He's a jackass. Why was she in the crosswalk? She could have been crawling in traffic and caught out by the light or a dozen other reasons. Even if it was a mistake she got stopped at the light before the intersection which is a win compared to joggers that get run over by someone missing a light completely.

"Jogging with a friend"... now I've heard it all. :)

Kidding... kidding...

Your friend was out of line. The driver was out of line.

So it's usually somewhere around that point that humans go completely off the rails and stupid stuff happens. No surprises here. :)

I vote - Jerk.

At least the driver stopped - I've had to take evasive action in a x-walk while jogging before. There was a car, waiting for a gap in traffic, to make a left turn. She shot a gap and made her left turn, but didn't see that I was in the x-walk of the street she was turning into. I did see it coming and was able to stop, but we did get eye-to-eye when she drove past and I was about face first into her driver side window.

You friend is an arse.

Jumping on someone's car is a good way to get your butt kicked. Maybe he got brave because the driver was a middle-aged woman.

I say he was dumb. You don't start something like this unless absolutely necessary.

My friend nearly got hit by an idiot "advancing" the intersection. (similar situation, lights, et al.) He flipped the guy off, and was just going to go on his way until the idiot started coming after him, in his car. Did I also mention my friend is an EMT and was a wrestler? Guy drove up on the curb, friend pulls out his keys (with window cracker), opens the car and wrestled the guy to the ground. Call cops and wait. Guy pleaded to some minor felony and got probation. Friend tells the story to other joggers as a warning.

Moral of the story: Even just flipping someone off can start something you might not be prepared for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your friend is a jerk. (But, I'm not surprised. :rolleyes: )

I, too, get angry and scared when drivers violate crosswalks. I'm also no saint when it comes to crosswalk propriety in my own driving - although, I like to think that I'm not entirely unaware (tending to expect pedestrians and being prepared to respond accordingly).

When I'm out for a run and find myself faced with a car blocking a crosswalk or carelessly rolling on through, I sometimes give the car a thump as I go by (behind the vehicle) - loud enough to wake the driver and remind them that there are other people in the word, some on foot and without the benefit of a steel cage. And then I naively imagine that the driver might feel a bit sheepish at their mistake and remember to be more careful in the future.

Any driver that claims they've never stopped in a crosswalk is a liar. It happens.

Your friend is an absolute prick and deserves the ass kicking he'll one day receive - doing things like that will get you killed. I can tell you which side law enforcement would be on if they saw that unfold.

If someone jumped on my hood they wouldn't be remaining on it for much longer.

Well... it's sure not the smartest thing I've ever heard of someone doing. It was an overreaction to a perceived slight that wound up endangering your friend, his friend, the driver, and possibly others in the area who had nothing to do with the incident. The driver could have responded in any of the ways others have mentioned, causing serious harm to one or more people.

I don't usually go for name-calling, but your friend showed immaturity, arrogance, and a serious lack of judgment.

When I lived in The City I witnessed this sort of thing all the time, whenever I had the misfortune of having to drive in or through Manhattan. I don't recall anyone actually jumping on a car's hood, but banging on the hood, the fenders, or the roof of cars blocking the crosswalks was a pretty common thing. There are quite a few Manhattanites who seem to believe that cars (and anything else with a motor and wheels) are demonic things that come directly from the pit of Hell, and they feel justified in assaulting them if they stray across a painted line on the pavement.

Drivers, however, sometimes take offense at this -- especially when they've been stuck in traffic on Delancey Street for an hour waiting to get to the Holland Tunnel. Tempers have been known to flare, and heads have been known to be smashed into brick walls, light poles, mailboxes, or other convenient, immovable surfaces.

By any rational definition, your friend acted foolishly and recklessly. Bad things could have happened.

-Rich

If it had been my middle aged wife, she would have gassed it and threw him off. And if I could find him, well he would think before doing it again.

If it had been my middle aged wife, she would have gassed it and threw him off. And if I could find him, well he would think before doing it again.
I was thinking the same thing. People are stereotyping middle-aged women as being scared and vulnerable. Oops, didn't mean to step on the accelerator...

Around where I live too many people carry guns to pull stuff like that.
I settle for the bird or shouting at the person, though I have slapped the fender of a car that ran a red light and almost hit me while I was walking in the walk.

Funny? Property damage for being in a crosswalk? Frightining a middle-aged woman? And you laughed when he jumped off?

I'm surprise you would think this is even worth making a poll.

Your friend is an idiot. Same with his friend.

I never said I laughed. I said my dropped jaw turned into a smile while hers not so much. It was more a turn of a phrase. By 'smile' I didn't imply approval. More of, look what 'Larry' did now. Obviously I'm not exactly in full support mode for my friend here...that's the reason for the thread.

Not sure why you're calling me an idiot here...what did I do? He's a big boy and doesn't ask me for permission for anything. His actions are just that, his.

The driver made an honest mistake...probably a habitual crosswalk-crosser; I see that a lot. They are nervous at intersections. It can be very dangerous for crossing traffic, forget peds! The jogger had a valid point but got carried away expressing it. Rude, and yeah, pretty risky. I wouldn't have gone after him-I'd have called the cops and told them I was pretty sure he was mentally ill. He'd have time to contemplate this lapse in judgement while in custody. If I was the jogger, I might have said something, but feet on the ground and with a smile (althouh probably a condescending smile).

I was thinking the same thing. People are stereotyping middle-aged women as being scared and vulnerable. Oops, didn't mean to step on the accelerator...
Heck, even if the woman was truly scared and intimidated she could have pressed the accelerator to the floor thinking she was pushing on the brakes. I vote for the idiot/jerk label on the friend.

If I was the jogger, I might have said something, but feet on the ground and with a smile (althouh probably a condescending smile).

I said something once. At first the driver was apologetic...then they flipped and started yelling. It was very strange. I was walking away when they flipped out.

I would agree he is a jerk. Its something I would love to see in person, but not something I'd want to be associated with.

The guy was wrong. Stopping in the crosswalk is illegal but it happens. They didn't drive through while you were in the walk which has happened to me on many times.
The least to do is ignore. The worst (maybe) is to say something.

You need to re-evaluate your "friend-criteria."
I've known people like this idiot. He's an "In-your-face" jackass!

And if you apply the "Birds-of-a-Feather" philosophy, you might also have some issues.

I would have dropped the throttle, that would have been even funnier. :popcorn:

I don't identify with either choice. Your buddy is neither, he just lacks class and style. Had he had class and style he would have quietly leaped or vaulted over the car and not broke stride. THAT would have f-ed with her good. Instead your buddy chose to be boorish and f-ed with her bad. From what I see around and read around, that just makes him an average American.

Why are you guys all turning on me? I didn't do it and I never said what my relationship with the guy was. I said 'friend'. That could mean life long buddies or 'guy I know at the gym'.

Freaking relax out there!

Btw, at one point the poll was tied 6/6. I'm sensing a bit of mob mentality going on now...

Back