Is this Jogger a Jerk?

Is this Jogger a Jerk

• Yes, He was WAY out of line!

Votes: 71 84.5%
  • No, the Driver deserved it.

Votes: 13 15.5%

• Total voters
So, a situation like this, middle aged woman freaks out, hits the throttle and drives out in front of a truck and gets killed while buddy goes off to the side. Is he up for manslaughter? Lets add a twist and instead of the truck killing her, she kills a pedestrian, who eats that manslaughter charge there?

Woman of man, you jump on the hood of my car, you are coming down bloody with a pistol pointed at you.

Woman of man, you jump on the hood of my car, you are coming down bloody with a pistol pointed at you.

Someone jumping on your hood after you park your car in the crosswalk is worth your job & 15 yrs in prison? The only thing you'd have going for you is the 'blue line', you trust it that far?

:confused:
Your friend is a moron. In some way you found it to be funny? It doesn't put your friend or you in a very admirable position. Its too bad she wasn't packing.

This is the kind of attitude that will get 'carry' people into deep s--t. Displaying a weapon in these circumstances isn't backed by solid law and at the same time many states went to concealed carry, they also tightened punishments for unauthorized display or 'brandishing'.

The long and short was she was in the wrong, that doesn't excuse the 'friend's' action, but it did precipitate them. Since she was inside the car and he outside with no way to intrude and not brandishing a weapon, there was no clear and imminent threat to her life. The gentleman above may get away with it because he's law enforcement, although since he's a Federal Marshal, I'd predict it would cost him his career if not job.

Btw, I figured out the misunderstanding. To the people who questioned why I'd post this here, I wasnt trying to see how I should feel. I know how I feel. I was curious how others felt. I'm not trying to set my moral compass here, I'm just throwing a topic up for discussion and see where it goes.

Looks like about 20% of you are 'pro jumping on hood'. Interesting...

Btw, I figured out the misunderstanding. To the people who questioned why I'd post this here, I wasnt trying to see how I should feel. I know how I feel. I was curious how others felt. I'm not trying to set my moral compass here, I'm just throwing a topic up for discussion and see where it goes.

I guess that is what a message board is for. Sorry for jumping all over your six.

Looks like about 20% of you are 'pro jumping on hood'. Interesting...

I wouldn't take it too seriously. It's only the internet.

True story. Dustin Hoffman's "I'm walking here!" was a complete ad lib.

So, for discussion's sake, how do you feel?

I love all the idiotic gun-related comments.

Yeah, a dip**** acts the fool in a crosswalk, and you're going to pull a loaded gun on them?? What happened to "don't point a loaded weapon at anything you don't intend to kill?" And if you're thinking about killing someone for hopping on the hood of your car, well......

Genius. :rolleyes2:

I love all the idiotic gun-related comments.

Yeah, a dip**** acts the fool in a crosswalk, and you're going to pull a loaded gun on them?? What happened to "don't point a loaded weapon at anything you don't intend to kill?" And if you're thinking about killing someone for hopping on the hood of your car, well......

Genius. :rolleyes2:

Think about the original question being asked. It wasn't just one a-hole jumping on her car. he had a partner running with him. To the middle age woman driving the car, I wonder what she was thinking? But I guess thats not really important to many of you.

Think about the original question being asked. It wasn't just one a-hole jumping on her car. he had a partner running with him. To the middle age woman driving the car, I wonder what she was thinking? But I guess thats not really important to many of you.

Who kept on going. I'm not defending the guys actions, just saying that using a gun to deal with it will get her in a hell of a lot more trouble than him. There are pretty strict rules about when you are allowed to pull and shoot, and someone on the hood of your car isn't one.

Who kept on going. I'm not defending the guys actions, just saying that using a gun to deal with it will get her in a hell of a lot more trouble than him. There are pretty strict rules about when you are allowed to pull and shoot, and someone on the hood of your car isn't one.

I don't think the woman using a gun would be justifiable in this case either. But when you are an a-hole sometimes you get what you deserve for acting like said a-hole.

I don't think the woman using a gun would be justifiable in this case either. But when you are an a-hole sometimes you get what you deserve for acting like said a-hole.

Right, like I said, hit the throttle, no fire arm required and plausible excuse to stay out of trouble.

Someone jumping on your hood after you park your car in the crosswalk is worth your job & 15 yrs in prison? The only thing you'd have going for you is the 'blue line', you trust it that far?

Let me re-phrase to avoid confusion. I would not shoot that person off my car. I would do the gas it and brake so they would fall off my hood (the coming down bloody I was referring to.) They would then be met by me with my and pistol drawn in one hand and cuffs in the other. There are a few times were entering the crosswalk and stopping is reasonable. Making a right hand turn at a red light and entering the crosswalk to see if traffic, vehicle or foot, is clear. If it's not, you stop, and sometimes one is in the crosswalk. No matter what, jumping on the hood of someones car and yelking at them is a great way to get messed up.

Let me re-phrase to avoid confusion. I would not shoot that person off my car. I would do the gas it and brake so they would fall off my hood (the coming down bloody I was referring to.) They would then be met by me with my and pistol drawn in one hand and cuffs in the other. There are a few times were entering the crosswalk and stopping is reasonable. Making a right hand turn at a red light and entering the crosswalk to see if traffic, vehicle or foot, is clear. If it's not, you stop, and sometimes one is in the crosswalk. No matter what, jumping on the hood of someones car and yelking at them is a great way to get messed up.

I assume you're a police officer, with the cuffs and gun? :confused:

If a jogger done that to me I would either

A. put a gun to his face

B. get out and kick his ass, if I could catch him (I am in bad shape)

so probably A

To all those that would gas it or jump out with a gun let me just say this.

You're not thinking rationally. Sitting at your keyboard that might sound like a super response in your head. BUT, in real life you're not sitting at a red light just waiting for a jogger to jump on your hood so you can leap out and shoot them or cuff them or whatever.

The whole thing happened in like 3 seconds. By the time the driver realized something was 'askew' in the world she was already being told, 'This is a crosswalk!'. Those words have to register and that takes a second or two and by then we were jogging away with our backs turned.

So now what? You're going to think about what happened, decide you're so angry that you're going to run after us? And just leave your car in the intersection? Shoot us in the Back? That would look pretty bad in court.

Gunning the engine is a tough call too. First there is the reaction time. I'm telling you guys, nobody would figure out what was happening fast enough to think to do that. And even if you did there's the small matter of you being at a red light and there's traffic moving in a sideways direction right in front of you. (Which is the point of my friend jumping on the hood...now we, as pedestrians, have to arc out nearer the busy traffic because the driver parked on our spot to safely cross).

Just thought I'd give a little reality check. The point is nobody sits at red lights on a hairpin trigger to jump out and beat people up. The actual time frame was very quick and I just don't see anyone having the faculties to do what's been suggested here in the time that was available.

You're not thinking rationally. Sitting at your keyboard that might sound like a super response in your head. BUT, in real life you're not sitting at a red light just waiting for a jogger to jump on your hood so you can leap out and shoot them or cuff them or whatever.

The whole thing happened in like 3 seconds. By the time the driver realized something was 'askew' in the world she was already being told, 'This is a crosswalk!'. Those words have to register and that takes a second or two and by then we were jogging away with our backs turned.

So now what? You're going to think about what happened, decide you're so angry that you're going to run after us? And just leave your car in the intersection? Shoot us in the Back? That would look pretty bad in court.

Gunning the engine is a tough call too. First there is the reaction time. I'm telling you guys, nobody would figure out what was happening fast enough to think to do that. And even if you did there's the small matter of you being at a red light and there's traffic moving in a sideways direction right in front of you. (Which is the point of my friend jumping on the hood...now we, as pedestrians, have to arc out nearer the busy traffic because the driver parked on our spot to safely cross).

Just thought I'd give a little reality check. The point is nobody sits at red lights on a hairpin trigger to jump out and beat people up. The actual time frame was very quick and I just don't see anyone having the faculties to do what's been suggested here in the time that was available.

You are wrong, and you and your "friend" were lucky.

Hairpin reaction responses to danger are as ingrained in muscle memory for some people as grabbing the right flight control in a crisis should be for you.

Go talk to someone who has spent time in active combat or police service and see how they might react if surprised in this manner.

Somehow, I think that if your "friend's" target was a buff, large young male, your "friend" wouldn't have jumped on the hood.

Which also speaks even more to your "friend's" character.

That isn't the only issue at play though, there is also potential panic reaction. The scenarios I gave above are real, this is stuff that can and does happen when you make people panic and it can lead to tragic losses and dire consequences for a foolish act. The move your friend made was a high risk high liability move because the result from any actions precipitated by his 'unreasonable act' are his liability; that would include your death if you happened to be in front of the car when she bolts out in front of the Semi....

Your buddy took a hell of a risk to be an egotistical ass. As long as you consider your friend there a bad example and understand that he is fully willing to cost you your life, you'll be ok. You can still be friends lol.

Last edited:
BUT, in real life you're not sitting at a red light just waiting for a jogger to jump on your hood so you can leap out and shoot them or cuff them or whatever.

The whole thing happened in like 3 seconds.

Maybe you're not, but I am. I've drawn twice, once while sitting in my car stopped at a light. Both times, they turned and ran.

That said, I wouldn't shoot your friend, but I would catch him and he would be liable for damage to my car.

Heck, even if the woman was truly scared and intimidated she could have pressed the accelerator to the floor thinking she was pushing on the brakes.

Stomp the gas out of no thought reaction, stomp the brake when the car moves, mr hood ornament slides off the hood into the crossing traffic lane, the crossing traffic city bus splatters him. All because he's so offended about someone with their vehicle over a few painted lines across the road. Stupid idget gets to talk to Mr Darwin.

Sometimes it's possible to end up blocking the crosswalk because of other drivers doing stupid things. You start across the intersection, some nutjob runs the light, you stop, you can't back up because the guy behind you is up your tailpipe and angry at you because you stopped. The next thing you know, you're stuck blocking the entire crosswalk and further until the light cycles. Then some wacko comes along and damages you vehicle because he thinks you should have drove out into the intersection and caused a big wreck.

The self centered snots need to relax and quit being so stressed out and angry all the time about trivial irrelevant nonsense.

Stomp the gas out of no thought reaction, stomp the brake when the car moves, mr hood ornament slides off the hood into the crossing traffic lane, the crossing traffic city bus splatters him. All because he's so offended about someone with their vehicle over a few painted lines across the road. Stupid idget gets to talk to Mr Darwin.

Sometimes it's possible to end up blocking the crosswalk because of other drivers doing stupid things. You start across the intersection, some nutjob runs the light, you stop, you can't back up because the guy behind you is up your tailpipe and angry at you because you stopped. The next thing you know, you're stuck blocking the entire crosswalk and further until the light cycles. Then some wacko comes along and damages you vehicle because he thinks you should have drove out into the intersection and caused a big wreck.

The self centered snots need to relax and quit being so stressed out and angry all the time about trivial irrelevant nonsense.

ONLY if you allow that circumstance to arise. The cross walk was always in front of you, you did not have to enter it until you were clear to procede through it. It is ALWAYS your own fault for ending up in the intersection. It's poor character to blame others for your lack of foresight.

You must be right. We are all the irrational ones. I think the jogger in the story is the one who is out of touch with reality. Are all your "friends" like that or just this one. Because that would say a lot about you and your rational as well.

You must be right. We are all the irrational ones. I think the jogger in the story is the one who is out of touch with reality. Are all your "friends" like that or just this one. Because that would say a lot about you and your rational as well.

Ooo, be careful there, that's guilt by association and that is unconstitutional for a very good reason, it has too many basic societal and cultural flaws in the premiss. One does not have to agree with someone on everything to be their friend; it only takes respect. A good friend will try to affect his friend in a way to get him out of that behavior.

Last edited:

Exactly.

ONLY if you allow that circumstance to arise. The cross walk was always in front of you, you did not have to enter it until you were clear to procede through it. It is ALWAYS your own fault for ending up in the intersection. It's poor character to blame others for your lack of foresight.

Have you ever tried making a right turn in downtown Chicago at 5:00pm? Because you are yielding to pedestrians walking to the trains, it is nearly impossible to do unless you move across the crosswalks while your light is green, waiting for the peds on your right to clear the crosswalk when they should. Inevitably, the light will change on you, people will still be in the crosswalk on the street you are turning on, and you are still stuck probably with your car hanging over the crosswalk.

Drivers understand this. Pedestrians understand this. *******s and their smiling friends probably don't.

Exactly.

Have you ever tried making a right turn in downtown Chicago at 5:00pm? Because you are yielding to pedestrians walking to the trains, it is nearly impossible to do unless you move across the crosswalks while your light is green, waiting for the peds on your right to clear the crosswalk when they should. Inevitably, the light will change on you, people will still be in the crosswalk on the street you are turning on, and you are still stuck probably with your car hanging over the crosswalk.

Drivers understand this. Pedestrians understand this. *******s and their smiling friends probably don't.

Agreed.

Certainly, it's hardly a reason to pull a gun on someone.

yeah but plenty of time to not think about it and run someone over, now although it would be a very bad decision I can see it happening in this case very easily

You are wrong, and you and your "friend" were lucky.

Hairpin reaction responses to danger are as ingrained in muscle memory for some people as grabbing the right flight control in a crisis should be for you.

Go talk to someone who has spent time in active combat or police service and see how they might react if surprised in this manner.

Somehow, I think that if your "friend's" target was a buff, large young male, your "friend" wouldn't have jumped on the hood.

Which also speaks even more to your "friend's" character.

could not agree more

Agreed.

Certainly, it's hardly a reason to pull a gun on someone.

I don't disagree. If that's all he does.

But if he then comes up to the window, that's a different story. Carjackings and murders have happened with much less confrontation.

Two men approached Milford and three women between 1:00 and 1:30 a.m. after they had visited several bars and restaurants in the Walker's Point area on the city's south side, police Capt. David Zibolski said.

The men demanded "personal property" from them, which they gave the pair, Zibolski said. But then one of the men shot and killed Milford after he got into his car in a parking lot.

"There didn't appear to be a reason to shoot" at that point, the captain said. "It appeared that the robbery was over."
http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/45322002.html

After getting robbed outside of their car, the victim got in his car, and accidentally hit his car alarm button. He was shot by one of the robbers.

Never had someone run a red light or stop sign while you were moving where stopping distance was further than the stop line before the crosswalk have you?

A lot of the time it's just people creeping forward while stopped. Not always though.

Never had someone run a red light or stop sign while you were moving where stopping distance was further than the stop line before the crosswalk have you?

A lot of the time it's just people creeping forward while stopped. Not always though.

Any time I had found myself so unawares as I found my self in an occupied cross walk, I was embarrassed for my failure. The only people who ever jumped on the hood of my car were my friends.:rofl:

Was this guy a Jerk? short answer "YES"

I've come to the conclusion that the average driver is oblivious to what is going on around them. Half the people don't stop behind the white line and if they are turning right most of them don't stop at all.

So the driver is a jerk because they are inept. Your friend was being a jerk on purpose.

Back