Is this iPad OK for FF, etc?

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
So, I am looking at making the move but my budget is limited. Will an iPad Mini Retina with 16GB and no cellular work well with Foreflight and, later, Stratus? Any drawbacks or other issues? I will need a BT GPS, right? I have a couple of those. Thanks.

Will an iPad Mini Retina with 16GB and no cellular work w
This is exactly what I have and it works for me just fine. No FF however, I use Garmin Pilot. Every user is different, something that works for me/you might not work for somebody else.

That is my setup (ipag 16 gb mini w/ stratus) and I use FF.
I love it

I am one that doesn't like fussing with dongles, and got the 4G version of the mini retina. GPS just works, nothing external to dink with. I don't think I've yet used the 200mb/mo of free data from T-Mobile... but it's nice to know its there if I absolutely need it.

$0.02

It depends on how much of the country you want to load into FF and what else you intend to do with the iPad. You can download every chart for the lower 48 and it will take about 8 GB of space. That'll leave you with about 5GB remaining.

If you only set FF to download just a few states, you'll save a lot of space and be fine.

http://ipadpilotnews.com/2014/02/much-space-charts-take-ipad/

Also, note that FF releases chart updates a few days before they're effective. If you download the updates earlier, expect to need double the space during the overlap. I just wait until the new charts are effective and then download to avoid needing double.

Last edited:
I have a non-retina 16 GB mini, and it works fine with my stratus. I even used it with a bad elf GPS for a while. I only use it for flying, so it's not crammed with a bunch of other stuff. It can fill up fast if you're using it for photos and movies.

It depends on how much of the country you want to load into FF and what else you intend to do with the iPad. You can download every chart for the lower 48 and it will take about 8 GB of space. ...

Is that VFR charts only?

I use 16GB iPad (non-retina) and hold a couple states worth of VFR maps. Also use the Dual XGPS150 and it works really well. (use with Foreflight)

Is that VFR charts only?

VFR, IFR Low and IFR High with High-res Terrain.
I have that selected for the lower 48, and I'm at 8.5 GB total.

VFR only is about 4.7 GB according to ipadpilotnews.com.

I have all charts (minus Hi-Enroute) for both IFR/VFR on my Garmin Pilot west of Kansas (minus Alaska, Hawaii) and it takes about 2.9 GB. I don't have any terrain data for synthetic vision since I don't use it.

Last edited:
If you plan to have a lot more than foreflight on there I'd go with 32GB or more. I would also point out the 2nd gen mini with retina display has a faster processor.

If you pair with a stratus or an external GPS you don't need cellular, just be sure to have a way to charge both devices if you're dependent on it.

All that said, the mini is really the right size for in-cockpit use IMO. The full size ipad is just too darn big.

I agree with Cowman-- I just bought a Mini to supplement our full-size iPad, and I got one with 32gb... our regular iPad is 16gb,and Foreflight just about eats up all the memory.

The mini is a much better size for our Tiger, which has a smallish panel and limited mounting options.

I have the IPad air,with all the bells and whistles. Need the bigger screen ,as I'm getting older. Works great,loaded most of the states plus part of Canada and Alaska fo a recent trip. Also have stratus 2.

I use FF with my 16G iPhone. I can hold all the IFR/VFR charts for Texas, but I sometimes have to delete pictures and audio books to make room.

32G would better if you are use it for much more than just FF.

If I recall: FF actually loads the new charts prior to deleting the old ones, so you need almost double memory available during upload times.

16GB IPad mini, no GPS. Love it.

However, last night was the first time I updated my charts prior to the old ones expiring. Never again. I made it work, but when I went to use the "Pack" feature, it wanted to download double versions of everything (for the states that I didn't have).

There wasn't enough room, so I just waited until this morning, it expired the old charts, which left tons of room for the "packed" trip.

This is the first time I've ever had a storage issue with my 16GB IPad, and it was because of the doubling up of charts. Wish there was a way to control that...I was not going to fly that evening, but my departure was early the next morning and I wanted all my ducks in a row without having to mess with it in the morning.

16GB IPad mini, no GPS. Love it.

However, last night was the first time I updated my charts prior to the old ones expiring. Never again. I made it work, but when I went to use the "Pack" feature, it wanted to download double versions of everything (for the states that I didn't have).

There wasn't enough room, so I just waited until this morning, it expired the old charts, which left tons of room for the "packed" trip.

This is the first time I've ever had a storage issue with my 16GB IPad, and it was because of the doubling up of charts. Wish there was a way to control that...I was not going to fly that evening, but my departure was early the next morning and I wanted all my ducks in a row without having to mess with it in the morning.

How many states are you packing charts for?

Yep, the mini with retina display should be good for a few years. The original minis and the earlier full sized ones, I'd stay away from at this point. While foreflight works on them, only the older versions.

If all you want to do is foreflight, 16MB will probably suffice. I never much get over 32 on my iPad with everything including the entire US in airport directory, geo registered plates, IFR LOs, and VFR charts.

Just get a cellular, it's not going to be worth the savings, after you get the dongle to attach to get GPS, plus now you have another piece to lose or break, and crap hanging from the bottom of your ipad.

I got the 32gb retena mini with cellular (GSM) which I use daily for work. The ipad as full US VFR, plates, enroute, JET, Planning, high res terrain, etc on it plus a few other small apps, and it still has 9gb free.

The bitterness of poor quality last far lover than the sweetness of low price.

...especially if you're using it for flight.

If I recall: FF actually loads the new charts prior to deleting the old ones, so you need almost double memory available during upload times.
You can delete all of them before downloading the new ones but it would have to be after the effective date of the new charts

I use the standard size ipad 2 with FF and a BadElf GPS plug-in. I love it. It works great in every way, has plenty of memory for my uses at 16gb and the GPS is spot on accurate. You can get the BadElf GPS from ebay for 60-70 used or buy a new one from Sporty's for $99. The BadElf GPS is not a dongle by my definition...its a very small, maybe 1"x1" plug in with no wires unless you use external power to keep the ipad charged and even then its just the charging cable....but, i've never had the ipad battery run low enough to plug the charger in while in-flight. There is no subscription or fees associated with the BadElf either, so no need to incur a cell bill. Also, in my limited experience with a cell enabled ipad, the GPS service was absolutely unreliable. The only drawback for me is that the fullsize ipad is a bit large for a small airplane like mine (C150). But it still works out fine as is. So my suggestion would be to get the ipad mini or air to use with a Ram mount or similar for the yoke or with the suction cup for the window.

Otherwise, as far as FF is concerned, I think its the best you'll find. All of the charts, plates, FAR/AIM, PHAK, weather info, charts and analyses,
Flight plan filing which can sync with DUATS, all sorts of other related pubs, the new hazard advisor and the list continues....

I tried the Garmin Pilot app and was not even close to as happy as I am with FF....but they both have positives and negatives and both have a trial period that is free...so try them both and see what works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, guys, for all the good advice. I went ahead and picked up the Mini Retina 16GB last night for $308 which is prolly the best I can do pricewise, Target price-matched to BB sale and 5% more on the Target card.

Playing it with now.

You get the cellular?

Aside from FF, I'd download fltplan for free, great tool for flight planning, and best app yet for estimating fuel burn after you pick your airplanes profile.

You get the cellular?

Aside from FF, I'd download fltplan for free, great tool for flight planning, and best app yet for estimating fuel burn after you pick your airplanes profile.

No cellular. Can't really afford another monthly expense and most the FBO's have WiFi.

No cellular. Can't really afford another monthly expense and most the FBO's have WiFi.
Take it back and swap if for one with cellular, you can thank me later! :D You don't have to activate the service, but without 3G or 4G, you will have no GPS positioning. I bought my ipad, 3rd generation or whatever came out about 2 years ago, the Apple guy said I didn't need 3G, but he was WRONG, they took it back and I paid the difference, around $100.00 IIRC, well worth it. I used FF on my AirTran flight to Vegas this week. :D

It has nothing to do with the cellular itself, however only the cellular models have a GPS chip.

Cheap on apples part, IMO all the iPads, for how much they cost, should have the GPS chip.

Take it back and swap if for one with cellular, you can thank me later! :D You don't have to activate the service, but without 3G or 4G, you will have no GPS positioning. I bought my ipad, 3rd generation or whatever came out about 2 years ago, the Apple guy said I didn't need 3G, but he was WRONG, they took it back and I paid the difference, around $100.00 IIRC, well worth it. I used FF on my AirTran flight to Vegas this week. :D

Thanks, I will check out the prices but I already have a Bluetooth GPS that I was going to use.

Back