Is This Good deal on a 182?

Wade

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Maxcat
57 C182 620SMOH FRESH ANNUAL • $30,000 957 182 with 5180TT 620smoh, 620spoh, compressions 70,69,76,74,77,74. Annualled in August. Good Flying Airplane, Pretty much original without any mods. Has older Nav/Comms. Newer windshield, tires, etc. Just a Good Basic Flying 182.

Attachments

• watermarked_68f89945334e6ebb3a592dc446e05837.jpg
    watermarked_68f89945334e6ebb3a592dc446e05837.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 335
  • watermarked_68f89945334e6ebb3a592dc446e05837.jpg
    watermarked_68f89945334e6ebb3a592dc446e05837.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 304
  • watermarked_8d80527b665d7064c0a5e73dd89ed678.jpg
    watermarked_8d80527b665d7064c0a5e73dd89ed678.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Basic avionics but fair priced.

Owner unloaded it and is smiling all the way to the bank, so I'd say it was a good deal for him and the buyer. ;)

Depends what you're planning to do with it. It's certainly not a good deal if you're planning to do much in the way of IFR flying.
Really strange how many flew them IFR and thought it was normal.

Sitting unbelted on your momma's lap in a smoke filled car was also normal. Over 60 years, risk tolerance and technology change.
The equipment available now is smaller, better in every way and will fit most anywhere in that panel. really just a matter of preference.

I guess it depends on your definition of IFR flying? En route or punching through the west coast marine layer, why would you need GPS for that? Nothing to do with risk tolerance.
Approaches to low minimums, that's obviously a different story.

Looks like it was in the right ballpark to me. FWIW, I paid 38K for my fairly basic, nearly original 1962 182E, just shy of two years ago.

That's good to hear because it is being delivered Thursday. I am a long way away from IFR flying, I hope to fly it for a couple years and build up to doing some backcountry flying. As long as I can resist the upgrade urge and the engine doesn't decide to eat itself for some random reason I think it's a good deal.

That's good to hear because it is being delivered Thursday. I am a long way away from IFR flying, I hope to fly it for a couple years and build up to doing some backcountry flying. As long as I can resist the upgrade urge and the engine doesn't decide to eat itself for some random reason I think it's a good deal.
Congratulations! 182's are very good airplanes! :)

Congratulations Wade! When I bought my '57 182 a few months back I was surprised at how much different it flew than a newer model 182. It took me some time to get used to the sensitive trim, lower instrument panel, manual flaps, & the spring steel gear. I'm used to it now & in fact, really enjoy the way it flies.

When you're looking for a fun destination flight come on up to Walla Walla. We have a guest room.

Sounds like it's perfect for what you want to do. My message earlier in the thread was meant to point out that if you were intending to buy it for the purpose of making it a capable IFR machine, you'll put in a lot more than if you bought a plane that was already GPS/Autopilot/six pack equipped. Good luck and have fun!

I sold my similarly-equipped '57 182A for $35,000. It was a fine airplane, flew it for 10 years. Hated to part with it, but no longer needed 4 seats and all that capability. My LSA fulfills my missions these days.

Congratulations Wade! When I bought my '57 182 a few months back I was surprised at how much different it flew than a newer model 182. It took me some time to get used to the sensitive trim, lower instrument panel, manual flaps, & the spring steel gear. I'm used to it now & in fact, really enjoy the way it flies.

When you're looking for a fun destination flight come on up to Walla Walla. We have a guest room.

Thanks. I love the vintage look and the simplicity of the Johnson bar flaps. I have been assisting a guy at our airport completely rerig his 56 with new cables and elevator jackscrews. So I have got a AMU free education into the mechanics of these planes, which will come in handy in case I have to open up mine.

You better be careful you might end up with a house guest for the holidays because I hope to be knocking out a couple solo x-countries in Dec.:)

I sold my similarly-equipped '57 182A for $35,000. It was a fine airplane, flew it for 10 years. Hated to part with it, but no longer needed 4 seats and all that capability. My LSA fulfills my missions these days.

Yeah I could get by with a little C150 right now but in a year or so will be wanting something bigger and faster and now I don't have to go through another buy and sell process.

I love the old straight tail 182s. Good looking airplanes.

Resurrecting this because a 182A may potentially be in my future. Guy I know has one and hasn't decided whether or not he's going to sell it, but when he does, it's a machine I'd be interested in. What are the major model-specific things to look for? Have you run into any "gotchas"? Curious as to other owner's experiences.

This example is pretty awesome, it has folding rear seats, great panel, good P/I, STOL, etc...

I want it. Badly.

You may know this already, but a quirk of the A model was the radio location. The A had the radio stack by your left knee, whereas the B model moved them to the center of the panel. When I owned my A, I asked an avionics guy about moving my radios to the center, but he told me it's not an easy fix. On the A, the steering system runs behind the center of the panel, so in order to move the radios there, you'd have to re-do the entire steering column, which becomes very expensive. Really, having the radios on my left knee didn't bug me, I got used to it, but others might feel differently.

Resurrecting this because a 182A may potentially be in my future. Guy I know has one and hasn't decided whether or not he's going to sell it, but when he does, it's a machine I'd be interested in. What are the major model-specific things to look for? Have you run into any "gotchas"? Curious as to other owner's experiences.

This example is pretty awesome, it has folding rear seats, great panel, good P/I, STOL, etc...

I want it. Badly.

Terrible planes with lots of issues you better pass and get the owner in contact with me so I can buy it.

The only unique that can get a little spendy other than the usual engine, airframe corrosion, etc stuff is check the firewall lots of people land nose heavy and buckle it. Also the whole elevator moves for trim so check the bushings and Jacks crews especially on autopilot planes. The Jacks crews used are expensive don't want to know how much for new ones.

You may know this already, but a quirk of the A model was the radio location. The A had the radio stack by your left knee, whereas the B model moved them to the center of the panel. When I owned my A, I asked an avionics guy about moving my radios to the center, but he told me it's not an easy fix. On the A, the steering system runs behind the center of the panel, so in order to move the radios there, you'd have to re-do the entire steering column, which becomes very expensive. Really, having the radios on my left knee didn't bug me, I got used to it, but others might feel differently.

That's interesting - this one in particular has a standard layout, radio stack is all in the center. Six pack + VOR/GS to the left, then engine analyzer & systems stuff all to the right. It's a very nice layout. It looks like it's generator powered, I'm not 100% sure but there's a separate switch for that next to the master.

Terrible planes with lots of issues you better pass and get the owner in contact with me so I can buy it.

The only unique that can get a little spendy other than the usual engine, airframe corrosion, etc stuff is check the firewall lots of people land nose heavy and buckle it. Also the whole elevator moves for trim so check the bushings and Jacks crews especially on autopilot planes. The Jacks crews used are expensive don't want to know how much for new ones.

Ha! Good to know, I'll keep that in mind.

Back