Is this corrosion

Hey, we don't get to talk chemistry often here. We can stop conversations quicker than dentists! :D I thoroughly enjoyed teaching chemistry to 1st years for many, many years. They are very fun to work with. A very different animal than teaching seniors or directing research.

Just make sure the bleach is mixed with equal parts ammonia.

(Joke)

Several years ago, I walked out into my driveway and got a whiff of chloramine gas. I looked next door, and through an open gate saw my neighbor and another guy in his empty swimming pool, using mops and wearing disposable dust masks.

I walked over to the gate, and in the pool there were two five gallon buckets full of liquid, along with a garden hose and several gallon containers of household bleach and ammonia.

I was, um, alarmed to say the least. Neighbor cheerily informed me he was scrubbing the pool to get rid of a persistent algae problem, while intermittently coughing.

I explained they were doing something really dangerous and stupid, they looked at each other and shrugged, so I went back in my house. There wasn't much else I could do about it.

Several years ago, I walked out into my driveway and got a whiff of chloramine gas. I looked next door, and through an open gate saw my neighbor and another guy in his empty swimming pool, using mops and wearing disposable dust masks.

I walked over to the gate, and in the pool there were two five gallon buckets full of liquid, along with a garden hose and several gallon containers of household bleach and ammonia.

I was, um, alarmed to say the least. Neighbor cheerily informed me he was scrubbing the pool to get rid of a persistent algae problem, while intermittently coughing.

I explained they were doing something really dangerous and stupid, they looked at each other and shrugged, so I went back in my house. There wasn't much else I could do about it.

Free Chlorine gas killed a lot of people in WW I.

So OP, you've had your chemistry lesson, now back to your original question/problem - what did you do and how does it look now?

Back