Is this a very large lenticular cloud?

terzap

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
terzap
I shot this a few hours ago. It is still there, although smaller.

If it is a lenticular cloud, it is one of the biggest I have seen.

Mt St Helens also wore a cap today, but hers has gone while Mt Hood's remained.
mthood_cap.jpg

It's the view from the back deck of my apartment. When you coming to Portland? :)

Earlier this afternoon I was driving to KVUO to exercise the Bonanza, and the "cap" was even bigger, more symmetrical, and the edges lower, than in Terry's photo. Quite a sight!

-- Pilawt

The one I posted was actually the smaller version (note to self, check timestamps on the photos): here is a larger one. But not symmetrical. I'm sorry I missed that stage of it.
mthood_cap2.jpg

I have another photo of it disappating, it is pretty small now but still there.

Those are awesome, beautiful pictures. That's a small part of what I miss from Colorado, the incredible, majestic, snow-covered beauty. All we have in Jawjuh is this tiny granite rock. Well, there are the tree-covered hills to the north. Their beautiful but they aren't "mountains" to me. :)

The one I posted was actually the smaller version (note to self, check timestamps on the photos): here is a larger one. But not symmetrical. I'm sorry I missed that stage of it.
Terry, that second (earlier) photo looks very much the way it was when I saw it. It may have appeared more symmetrical from my angle in Vancouver.

Great photos! Glad you were able to capture it.

-- Pilawt

Here is the best lenticular cloud photo I have seen. Mt. Saint Helens.

-Skip

Attachments

• Lenticular.JPG
    Lenticular.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 44
Here's one from Flagstaff a couple of years ago.
I was flying the Cirrus in the lower right corner, landed just before this was taken. Interesting day in AZ.

Joe

Attachments

• KFLG_Lenny.jpg
    KFLG_Lenny.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 47
Here is the best lenticular cloud photo I have seen. Mt. Saint Helens.

-Skip

Mt St Helens also had one yesterday that I took a pic of (since if I lean over my deck railing slightly I have a good view of Helen's too), but it didn't look like THAT. :)

So I guess my original question: "Is it" has an answer of "yes, it is (or was)"

thanks guys!

Those are awesome, beautiful pictures. That's a small part of what I miss from Colorado, the incredible, majestic, snow-covered beauty. All we have in Jawjuh is this tiny granite rock. Well, there are the tree-covered hills to the north. Their beautiful but they aren't "mountains" to me. :)

Actually I've seen lenticular clouds in the Atlanta area on a number of occassions. I'm sure theyu're generated when there is a good northwesterly flow over the north Georgia "mountains". But you're right; it ain't the Rockies and it ain't the Sierras and it ain't the Cascades.

Back