Is this a Cross Country Flight?

Skid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Skid
Pretty sure I already know the answer, but wanted to verify. I flew helicopters back in the day, and have this flight logged multiple times when I was getting trained.

GKT -> MOR -> DKX -> GKT

In order to be counted as a XC the flight needs to be more than 25 NM for helicopters. This was about 10 years or so ago, but I doubt the regulations have changed.

GKT -> MOR = 21NM
MOR -> DKX = 27NM
DKX -> GKT = 18NM

My understanding is that a XC needs to be > 25NM from the point of origin (being GKT in this example). Looks like the instructor (and admittedly myself as I wasn't really thinking) missed this at the time, and logged flights similar to this multiple times.

Is my understanding is right, this flight is not a cross country? Here's my reference:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...2009/keller - (2009) legal interpretation.pdf

I fully switched over to fixed wing about 5 years ago, and getting somewhat prepared for ATP minimums. For that it needs to be >50 NM regardless of landing etc, so does it really matter about the above? Should I fix it all just to keep my "Total XC" a little more pure?

You are correct. GKT → MOR → SKX → GKT is not a helicopter cross country. But you could have treated GKT → MOR as a "repositioning" flight and counted MOR → SKX → GKT as a cross country.

I wouldn't bother correcting it at this point.

My understanding is that any flight from one location to another is a cross country flight and can be logged as such, but only flights that meet the minimum required distance can be used to satisfy the cross country requirements for any certificate.

Back