Is This a Cool-looking Skyhawk?

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
It surely looks good sitting there.

HR

EDITED: Fourth photo, requested by Dean, was © Lewiston Sun-Journal, March 14, 2004.

Last edited:
A lot nicer looking paint job that the one I have most of my 172 time in.

Nice.
It looks a lot better than the last pictures I saw of it that's for sure.

Are you thinking about calling the number?

fgcason said:
Nice.
It looks a lot better than the last pictures I saw of it that's for sure.

Are you thinking about calling the number?

:dunno: By virtue of your post, Frank, are you -- as goes the saying -- "onto me?

3700 TTAF Zero time SMOH(although the latter may be slightly inaccurate because I know of several people who have flown her since the engine overhaul).

Check AOPA Classifieds: do a search for C-150M under Single Engine Production.

:yes:
HR

Do you have the pictures of it after it was crashed? I would like to see what all was repaired.

Lawreston said:
:dunno: By virtue of your post, Frank, are you -- as goes the saying -- "onto me?

As the saying goes -- "yep." ;)

Lawreston said:
Check AOPA Classifieds: do a search for C-150M under Single Engine Production.

Nice. Affordable too. I don't know anyone at the moment but if I run across anyone who might be interested, I'll point them in your direction. :yes:

<-- wanders off mumbling something about affordable airplanes and not being quite ready for one just yet...

Last edited:
Dean said:
Do you have the pictures of it after it was crashed? I would like to see what all was repaired.

Go back to the beginning of this thread. When I finish this post I'll edit the first post and add what was a newspaper front page LARGE photo(and banner headline).

HR

EDITED: All I know, at present, is that the crankshaft was bent; propeller very bent(I now have it); one wing probably needed replacement / other wing, perhaps, salvageable; most glass was trashed. You can draw other conclusions from the photo added in the first post. Naturally, repainted. I was told, a couple weeks after the accident, "The deeper I go, the worse it gets." A couple people I know have flown her and praised the rebuild and that "She flies beautifully."

Last edited:
I must have missed something, surely the first pictures are before the crash?

Dean said:
I must have missed something, surely the first pictures are before the crash?

Au contraire, mon ami; the first three photos I took in early April of 2005, about 13 months after the accident. The rebuild/engine overhaul had been completed somewhere around August or September of 2004. The same day I took the first three photos I also took the first two shown below. Note some of the branches were still there, and they're still there as of 10-20-05. Way back when, I had carted the smaller stuff away in the trunk of my car, but the bigger wood remains.

HR

The third photo I took in 1999, approaching #12(bottom of the dual). The accident occurred after landing slightly long on #30 with a right crosswind on my 2nd approach. R-CW changed to right quartering TW -- probably during my flare -- and, on the quick T & G pushed me to the left, just where the "FAA had planted those trees 40 years ago."

flyingcheesehead said:
You never forget your first love, do you?

:frog: It's really surprising nobody has picked it up; perhaps, it's just been "the market?" All of my solo/X-ctry time has been in that bird.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Lawreston said:
All I know, at present, is that the crankshaft was bent; propeller very bent(I now have it); one wing probably needed replacement / other wing, perhaps, salvageable; most glass was trashed. You can draw other conclusions from the photo added in the first post. Naturally, repainted. I was told, a couple weeks after the accident, "The deeper I go, the worse it gets." A couple people I know have flown her and praised the rebuild and that "She flies beautifully."

Nothing like a little elbow grease. The scratches buffed right out no problem. :goofy:

Every time I see the pictures of those trees...that's one tuff bird to let you walk away like you did.

Lawreston said:
It's really surprising nobody has picked it up; perhaps, it's just been "the market?"

The history might have something to do with it. But IMHO as long as the fixes are done right that's what really counts.

fgcason said:
Every time I see the pictures of those trees...that's one tuff bird to let you walk away like you did.
Isn't THAT the truth!!

fgcason said:
But IMHO as long as the fixes are done right that's what really counts.
The owner/fixer-upper is a former FAA Examiner; his two brothers and one nephew are A & P; at least, one(maybe, two) is/are IA. Two(or more) of the aforementioned have figured in three prior Annuals of the bird while in my ownership. Shall we say, there is confidence in the quality of the rebuilding process having been performed. Suspicions are that the latest entries in its LOG(s) have lengthy data.

HR

Lawreston said:
The owner/fixer-upper is a former FAA Examiner; his two brothers and one nephew are A & P; at least, one(maybe, two) is/are IA. Two(or more) of the aforementioned have figured in three prior Annuals of the bird while in my ownership. Shall we say, there is confidence in the quality of the rebuilding process having been performed.

Exactly. The problem is that the market (whether airplanes, cars, tricycles, etc) pretty much drop those out of the possibility loop before they look into the details. That's ok from my point of view, it just gives people like me a chance for a better plane at lower prices though it'll take a bit more inspecting first.

Lawreston said:
Suspicions are that the latest entries in its LOG(s) have lengthy data.

All recent significant repairs summarized in one location, how convenient.

Lawreston said:
Note some of the branches were still there, and they're still there as of 10-20-05. Way back when, I had carted the smaller stuff away in the trunk of my car, but the bigger wood remains.

Is that at Twitchell? I drove past there Sunday night on my way up to Livermore Falls. I was looking at my sectional (my trainee was actually doing the driving) and noticed there was no beacon. So, I looked in my AOPA airport directory and punched the coordinates in to my GPS just in time for it to show me that I'd gone past as I was punching the coordinates in. Doh!

Sure is beautiful up that way.

Why wasnt it totaled? I have seen less damage totaled by insurance companies.

Michael said:
Why wasnt it totaled? I have seen less damage totaled by insurance companies.

It probably would have been totaled by the insurance company but the 40k hull insurance I had previously wasn't renewed by the carrier because -- by way of numerous CFI who kept getting Navy, National Guard, or Army shipped around the world for six months to a year of service -- I had over 100 hours of Student hours. "Sorry; can't insure you with 100+ hours. Come back and talk to me when you get certificated"(and that was my final flight which completed the FAA-required flight times prior to getting ready for check ride. I sold it for 10k salvage; then, by way of "catastropic financial loss" on my 2004 taxes received a Carry Forward tax credit of $39,768.00. I won't be paying Income Tax(es) for a few years. It's not a method I'd recommend to get a tax credit. The fellow who bought it buys salvage aircraft and does the restoration(s) at his own pace and convenience; then sells the project.

HR

Back