Is There Such a thing as an Ideal Hangar Temperature

Shuswap BC

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Shuswap BC
Maybe an odd question, but does an ideal hangar temperature for winter exist?

My hangar is not air conditioned, so in summer it gets crazy hot, but I specifically wonder if when heating it in winter, there is a best temperature. I have been keeping mine around 13C or 55F but I have no reason for picking that temperature.

Cool enough to not freeze the beer.??

I will guess warm enough so you can pour oil out of the can without having to squeeze it out.

Anything above 40F is good. I look for the temps to get that high in the fall and winter because it is not so rough on the engine. On the other hand, when a hot engine returns it would be best to not cool down and condense the moisture in the engine. Keep it warm enough that the moisture escapes into the hangar.

I'm no expert but I installed a wifi thermostat for my heater and I keep it at 47 (randomly decided on) until I'm on my way and then I bump it up to 70 while I'm in there pre-flighting or whatever.

*If it is snowing out and I'm flying then I will turn it off, open the door right away and try to get the skin to below freezing prior to pulling it out so it doesn't melt and freeze. Learned that one from the Twin Cessna Owners Group.

+10C to +11C, about 51F

Anything much warmer than that in winter is too warm for me to work in comfortably.
My shop and vehicle garage at the ranch are the same.

Cool enough to not freeze the beer.??

I will guess warm enough so you can pour oil out of the can without having to squeeze it out.

Toss the oil on the cowl under the blanket/sleeping bag/comforter when you preheat and the oil pours out easy.

We've been looking at hangars. The ones with heat always seem to be set around +40F...+45F.

I've always wondered what the best temp is for the avionics? Perhaps a bit warmer than +45F?

We've been looking at hangars. The ones with heat always seem to be set around +40F...+45F.

I've always wondered what the best temp is for the avionics? Perhaps a bit warmer than +45F?
Many people don't think about the Avionics (gryos) and cold temps. When I didn't have a heated hanger, I had a small, ceramic heater sitting on the hat rack. The instruments (and interior plastics) like it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Think that I'll just leave it at 55F or 13 C for the winter.
I used to rent a spot in a large shared hangar with other planes and a few helicopters, but I had no say about the temp. Since moving this summer, and getting my own hangar for the first time, it has got me thinking about the ideal temperature is all.

Think that I'll just leave it at 55F or 13 C for the winter.
I used to rent a spot in a large shared hangar with other planes and a few helicopters, but I had no say about the temp. Since moving this summer, and getting my own hangar for the first time, it has got me thinking about the ideal temperature is all.

What do you fly?
I'm making a guess here, but your avatar picture looks like it's from CBF9?
Is that where you base your plane?

Correct CBF9 aka Mabel lake airpark, and an A36 Bonanza for now, until my new Cessna 172 is ready next August or September.

I would like my airplane toasty.
I vote for 80.

Back