is there a method to this madness?

I'm so done with this sales tactic. Not aimed @SoCal RV Flyer, but I keep seeing and hearing this drivel.

Hey... Avionics shop... train up a bunch of people so you can ride the wave. You can take on 3-5 people per shop and keep them going until Easter 2020. Then you can let them go (and they'll have VALUABLE experience). Solved.

The buy now or you'll have to wait stuff is just so... strange.

Perhaps, but that type of help might be hard to find on a temporary basis. We'll see at crunch time. Right now, I have to schedule a simple transponder check about six weeks in advance at the home drome.

I'm so done with this sales tactic. Not aimed @SoCal RV Flyer, but I keep seeing and hearing this drivel.

Hey... Avionics shop... train up a bunch of people so you can ride the wave. You can take on 3-5 people per shop and keep them going until Easter 2020. Then you can let them go (and they'll have VALUABLE experience). Solved.

The buy now or you'll have to wait stuff is just so... strange.

Especially considering that in the last year, three more devices came to market and were truly seen in the real world long enough for Garmin to feel a need to respond and make a $2500 lower priced solution with their name on it...

That innovation cycle isn't over with yet, as far as I can tell. Garmin may have bottomed on a price they won't go below, but there's still names we haven't heard from yet.

If the shop's backed up closer to 2020, so be it... we will all have better options by about 2018 into early 2019, too.

The shops or someplace will learn how to run longer hours like any other biz to get the customers while they're standing with cash in hand, they always do. Some other places will let opportinity go by... that sales game works in reverse... and someone with energy and talent will want to make money, and hay, while the sun shines.

It's not every day FAA hands every avionics shop customers on a platter.

Does the above make sense?[/QUOTE]
VFR/IFR and "hamburger runs"... you can fly all over the country safely, VFR. I have. If your goal is "hamburger runs", and not significantly more recurrent training, I honestly do NOT recommend an Instrument rating.

I've never heard another pilot NOT recommend additional training and ratings to another pilot. I don't care if you get your IR and never file a flight plan, touch a cloud or shoot another approach. I feel that simply having that training makes you a better/potentially safer pilot. May save a life or four if you encounter inadvertent IMC one day.

Just my opinion obviously.

Does the above make sense?

I've never heard another pilot NOT recommend additional training and ratings to another pilot. I don't care if you get your IR and never file a flight plan, touch a cloud or shoot another approach. I feel that simply having that training makes you a better/potentially safer pilot. May save a life or four if you encounter inadvertent IMC one day.

Just my opinion obviously.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I think he's looking at at least a year before it matters anyway. But non-proficiency can be bad.

Mostly I was just musing on the real world hour numbers for weekend warriors. BTDT, done the IPCs...

Back