Is there a Maaco of airplane painting?

I don't understand this @SixPapaCharlie modern day problem.

The plane is owned by a father and son. Father will likely eject in 3-5 years. Son is concerned about taking over 100% of cost.

So... is the plane paid for or financed? Can the son save for 3-5 years to have operating costs covered for a reasonable time? How many siblings does the son have? Will the father divest only because of getting out of flying, or for some monetary need? Can the Son keep the plane and cover all operating cost and handle it as part of some future estate settlement?

It seems to me that you're better off saving until WHEN you lose access to the SR-22 rather than buying and maintaining a "second" plane until you lose access. Saving 5 yrs of loan payments, storage, and maintenance will take you further toward your next plane.

This thread evolved in a weird way. I don't have a problem LOL
I just asked about a knock off paint job.

I would like to own a Grumman.

Looks like a Grumman AA5x. If I recall, the strip procedure is a little different than most.

A LOT different - remember AA's are glued together.

.....and how much more carrying capacity you need than an AA5B?
Think you'll fall in love with the Tiger.

anyone know what 6ers problem is? what's yer problem, ey?

Buy the Grumman and pay with cash in Mena Arkansas for the cheap paint job. Maybe they'll cut you a deal and put in the rivets that the factory obviously forgot.

Those avionics would make IR training fun. Otherwise looks good. Fletchair know this plane?

My plane is white with red vinyl. And clear over the top. The clear is coming off. I think Rust-Oleum clear is in my very near future.

I don't understand this @SixPapaCharlie modern day problem.

The plane is owned by a father and son. Father will likely eject in 3-5 years. Son is concerned about taking over 100% of cost.

So... is the plane paid for or financed? Can the son save for 3-5 years to have operating costs covered for a reasonable time? How many siblings does the son have? Will the father divest only because of getting out of flying, or for some monetary need? Can the Son keep the plane and cover all operating cost and handle it as part of some future estate settlement?

It seems to me that you're better off saving until WHEN you lose access to the SR-22 rather than buying and maintaining a "second" plane until you lose access. Saving 5 yrs of loan payments, storage, and maintenance will take you further toward your next plane.

Dad owns the Cirrus 100%. 6PC contributes to the maintenance (call him a non-equity partner). 6PC really wants a plane to call his own. That is the bottom line. Airplane ownership never makes sense if it is only about the money.

I keep hearing about $6k paint jobs. I really don't get it. It is a crapload of work, some of which has to be done by an A&P. The stripper is as toxic as it gets and costs money to throw away. I just don't know how anyone can do it at that price point and even pay himself minimum wage.

J%20B_flickrcreativecommons.jpg_1.jpeg
you SLAY me, eman! LOL

I keep hearing about $6k paint jobs. I really don't get it. It is a crapload of work, some of which has to be done by an A&P. The stripper is as toxic as it gets and costs money to throw away. I just don't know how anyone can do it at that price point and even pay himself minimum wage.

Please reference threads on 1500 nm solo XC, intentional flight into known icing, and cheap airplane resto shops. It will all make sense. See, you do it all in house, and make your own parts. From there it's nothing but money in your pocket. Big money.

Cheap materials help. I can buy all of the primer and paint needed for $1,000 if I stay away from premium brands. Then, 100 hours of $15/hr labor and a $250 A&P sign off. Add in $250 of stripper and you're at $3,000. Everything above that is the skilled guy with the paint gun and shop overhead.

Of course, that may be a dumb way to do it IF (and I don't know) cheap paints are inferior from a performance perspective to expensive paints.

Yes, it's called Maaco. Take it in a piece at a time and tell them not to sand down the rivet heads to make it slick. Yes, some homebuilders do use Maaco or other auto shops.

Mena Arkansas airport has three on field aircraft paint shops that are price competitive.

Dad owns the Cirrus 100%. 6PC contributes to the maintenance (call him a non-equity partner). 6PC really wants a plane to call his own. That is the bottom line. Airplane ownership never makes sense if it is only about the money.

We all know it is better to have friends...or relatives...with planes rather then get into ownership.

When dad is done flying, just move further away so he will keep the plane for you to fly the grandkids to see him. You get to still use the plane and use the grandkids as ransom. Win-win for everyone.

Find the paint shop that Barron Thomas used all the time.

Funny to see the posts above that mention Mena... that's where Barron took his planes for new paint when he was based at Dallas Love. I ferried numerous ships in/out of there for him back in 1990.

Please reference threads on 1500 nm solo XC, intentional flight into known icing, and cheap airplane resto shops. It will all make sense. See, you do it all in house, and make your own parts. From there it's nothing but money in your pocket. Big money.

Genius

Last edited:
You could always rattle can it. We actually have a 172 based at CPK where the previous owner (FL based flight school) painted the whole airplane with rattle cans. Looks like absolute dog crap up close, but I'll bet it was cheap!

I once saw a guy outside at the tiedowns, with his plane masked off, and a giant compressed air tank on a wheeled cart. Yes, he was painting his plane. Did I mention outside? At least it was sunny.
This idea may not meet your needs...

I once saw a guy outside at the tiedowns, with his plane masked off, and a giant compressed air tank on a wheeled cart. Yes, he was painting his plane. Did I mention outside? At least it was sunny.

"...New paint 2017. Call for price."

I wonder what he considered a "fresh annual"?

If it looks crappy it probably is crappy 95% of the time...
Spend a few thousand more and find a clean bird that does not need work.

Are you watching Grumman Gang postings? - well cared for AA5X's are mentioned there FOR SALE on a pretty regular basis.

This thread evolved in a weird way. I don't have a problem LOL
I just asked about a knock off paint job.

I would like to own a Grumman.

Being serious for a minute, why the love for a Grumman? Honest question.

Being serious for a minute, why the love for a Grumman? Honest question.
Another honest one right back at ya: have you ever spent much time flying one? Just trying to figure out where your question is coming from.

Finished my private in Grumman trainers 1975. Then went on to gain hours in the Cheetah and Tiger. Loved all of them! Fun, responsive and just plain fun to fly. Not so much getting in when raining. Learned to bring a towel.
We were playing and spinning the new trainers when the mail comes and the stickers prohibiting spins.....!
Checked out in a Tiger again many years later. Still fun! Almost bought one locally but I decided to go canard and never looked back.

Another honest one right back at ya: have you ever spent much time flying one? Just trying to figure out where your question is coming from.

I havent flown one or even sat in one, to be honest. LOL

I was looking to be educated. I am looking at Vtails (just had a pre-buy fall through on one) but I am always trying to learn more about planes in general.

Love V-35s, get a V-35B, nice flying machine.

I havent flown one or even sat in one, to be honest. LOL

I was looking to be educated. I am looking at Vtails (just had a pre-buy fall through on one) but I am always trying to learn more about planes in general.

The one I flew reliably got book numbers which is around 138KTAS on 10gph at 8500MSL. The control feel is really nice, one reason being that it uses pushrods instead of control cables. Also, the sliding canopy is cool, both literally and figuratively. It's a simple airplane running a parallel valve carbureted Lycoming O-360, fixed prop and fixed gear which means operating costs are comparatively cheap. Most are around 900-950lbs useful load. Also, the back seats fold down creating a flat extended cargo space, sort of like a hatchback or SUV.

Grummans fly nice and fit my must haves and nice to haves list

Must have:

Low wing
Fixed Gear
>800 lbs Useful load

Really nice to haves

Fixed pitch
120 kts
2 doors or canopy

I love the Grummans
I would entertain a challenger or 73 or newer 180
I am curious about that Beech Super III

Having the top open on a hot Texas taxiway and also in flight is fantastic.
I have flown a traveler and a tiger and enjoyed them a great deal. The traveler is very responsive for a slow airplane.

This particular one didn't work out.
Seller said there was a buyer before me that backed out when they told him one of the Navs was inop.
I called his MX to get some info and he said "Check with XYZ shop. They did the prebuy for the buyer before you"
Wait. There was a prebuy? I thought he backed out due to an inop Nav.

MX said the plane had sat for 6 years and he did an annual and had all the cylinders sent off and rehoned.

Then this happened:
Me: "Did you do an oil analysis?
MX: "I didn't change the oil. Looks like the previous owner did an oil change right before he stopped using the plane"
Me: "So the plane sat for 6 years, you did an annual and didn't change or even look at the oil?"
MX: "I don't feel it needed it"

Me: "Do you know if the aileron AD is complied with?"
MX: "Meh, make sure there's 2 of em and when one goes up, the other goes down"
Me: "Thank you for your time"

[snip]

Me: "Do you know if the aileron AD is complied with?"
MX: "Meh, make sure there's 2 of em and when one goes up, the other goes down"
Me: "Thank you for your time"

Necessary but not sufficient. Good call.

Only issue like mentioned with cheap paint is they have to be carful stripping the grummans.

Back