Is there a limit on number of passengers in an airplane?

I believe I know the accident you refer to, and that is not what happened. The young child was unable to get out on his own and rescuers were unable to reach him even though a couple of them were seriously burned trying. Fire consumed that airplane very rapidly. That plane crashed shortly after takeoff and hit an abandoned old house on a main street in Anchorage during a heavy traffic time. Lots of people were there to help. It wasn't enough.
You are correct about every able person in sight assisting - there were alot of photos of people trying to help, but I definitely recall a big deal being made of the kid getting thrown forward and being stuck under the lumber. Whether the lumber ultimately killed him or fire, I can't say. But, if he had been properly secured in a seat/belt, I do believe the child would be alive today.

Nope. I linked the story for all to read. The only relevance of the lumber was that the plane was over gross and aft CG.

There's still a wreath hanging on the old house in memory of little Miles.

Your wife must be tiny. I can barely fit my flight bag behind the passenger seat in a 182, and it's not a big bag.

Passengers must wear seat belts for taxi, takeoff, and landing, and occupy an "approved berth." How are you going to do that on the floor?

Have her wear a parachute? ;)

"Oh, but Mr. FAA Inspector, I was planning to jump out, but changed my mind!" ;)

Nope. I linked the story for all to read. The only relevance of the lumber was that the plane was over gross and aft CG.

There's still a wreath hanging on the old house in memory of little Miles.
Here is the NTSB final. Apparently I was wrong - the 2 year old survived - it was an unrestrained 4 year old that was thrown forward and...

During the impact, the cargo shifted, and trapped the child between the cargo and the instrument panel. This prevented initial responders from reaching his location.

http://www.ntsb.gov/about/employmen...ev_id=20100602X45201&ntsbno=ANC10FA048&akey=1

Bottom line - restrain your kids!

Back