Is there a good reason.....

bluerooster

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
shorty
for selling hinges in parts rather than as a whole? Case in point: Cherokee stabilator trim tab hinges. There are six hinges required. I need three. They are sold as hinge halves, and pins, seperately. So I gotta buy six halves, and 3 pins. Why not also offer the assembly, for one money, and be done? Dang, If half the hinge is worn out, don't you think the other half would be worn as well? Might as well replace both halves, and the pin, anyway.

Are you sure that you need complete hinges? You might get sufficient improvement by just replacing the pins.

Cessnas are sold the opposite way as a set, and ours with the Robertson STC has one half (rear) upgraded for the additional aid load of drooping the ailerons.

So when it's time for a hinge replacement, you order both halves of the regular hinge as a set, and then order one half of the hinges from the STC holder, at over $900 for both halves to do both wings.

Ask me how I know. ;)

"Oh we took a vote amongst the mechanics and we'd like to replace your right side aileron hinges. No problem. It's pretty inexpensive..." ;)

for selling hinges in parts rather than as a whole? Case in point: Cherokee stabilator trim tab hinges. There are six hinges required. I need three. They are sold as hinge halves, and pins, seperately. So I gotta buy six halves, and 3 pins. Why not also offer the assembly, for one money, and be done? Dang, If half the hinge is worn out, don't you think the other half would be worn as well? Might as well replace both halves, and the pin, anyway.

I'd be ****ed if I goofed up drilling one hinge half and was forced to buy a whole new hinge assembly with the pin.

LOL. Just curious. On the aircraft I work on, some things have written wear limits and some things don't, so there is subjectiveness in evaluating them.

Are there written "in-service wear limits" or a free play check?

Nothing written, but there's a little excess lost motion in a couple of the hinges. It was reccomended that they be replaced, by my AP/IA.

Recommended? Not given in a list of discrepancies from an 100 hr or annual?
Yes listed amongst the squawks found at annual. I probably could have deferred them, but It's down for paint anyway. So might as well do it.

Are you sure that you need complete hinges? You might get sufficient improvement by just replacing the pins.
I'd thought about that, but as the pins are steel, and the hinges are aluminum, I would think the hinges are the worn parts.

Hardened aluminum can be pretty tuff stuff, the hinge pins might actually be softer. I'd take them apart and do some measuring, or the wear may be obvious visually.

Last edited:
Back