Is screening for OSA a good thing for GA?

Is the proposed screening for OSA a good thing for GA?

• Yes. Many overweight pilts will get treatment they need and the accident rate should go down.

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • No. Many pilots are likely to quit, or never start and this will reduce the pilot population.

Votes: 33 56.9%
  • It really won't make much difference either way.

Votes: 15 25.9%

• Total voters
If you have an employer that would fire someone for saying "I don't feel I can do this job in a safe manner" then they aren't really worth working for.

Just my opinion.

Yep, well, that's the way a lot of places are. The offshore oilfield got so bad with the "You do it or I'll send your relief!" threats on captain's jobs from management when captains would refuse to do stupid dangerous stuff at the demand of the Company Man that Louisiana enacted (and enforces) a law that holds management Criminally liable for any accidents that occur after they threaten the captain's job. This went a long way to making the GoM a safer place to work.

The flight crew member is responsible for accepting such an assignment. If he was awake all day then accepted a standup overnight then he is saying he's fit for duty.

I have been asked to take assignments in the past where I simply said no, not enough prior rest. It was dropped right there.

14 CFR Part 117 has specific language for these situations.

Doesn't mean it always happens the right way.

I did laugh that someone I knew got junior-manned and cracked a beer just as the second phone line he had installed just for crew scheduling rang, before picking it up. :)

If you have an employer that would fire someone for saying "I don't feel I can do this job in a safe manner" then they aren't really worth working for.

Just my opinion.

Which is a large part of why the average driver works for the average company for less than 90 days... Everyone's trying to find the ideal place to work. Most of them are REALLY crappy.

Transportation to and from is not considered "rest" and is not counted as such.

It's considered transportation, local in nature. It's considered rest, but one still needs an 8 hour sleep opportunity. So it's 10 hours of rest, with 8 behind the door.

Back