Is owning an airplane worth it?

1538908_10203642821649847_9067517715149035376_n.jpg

If everyone makes $27k each time they buy and sell an RV-8, then somebody found a money tree, or some magic beanstalks.

(And, there is nothing wrong with buying stuff cheap from sellers who need money, NOW. And, there is nothing wrong with selling stuff for top$$$ by educated buyers who are willing to pay the asking price. But, don't kid yourself that those are routine.)

Again, I was not trying to kid myself or anyone else, or give bad info. The OP was asking about pros and cons of aircraft ownership. I was offering my experience. I don't claim to be an expert, but I have bought and sold 8 aircraft over the decades and remember(+/- a few bucks) what the purchase and sale prices were for each one. As is true of many of us, I have owned cars, boats, heavy equipment, snowmobiles, etc. My experience has been that most aircraft don't depreciate like the other stuff does, especially high quality, desirable aircraft like a C185, Super Cub, Scout, Husky, etc. I'm not a dealer; I would buy planes and keep them to use, typically 5 or more years, sometimes much longer. As I said before, every aircraft I have sold was for significantly more than the purchase price, even when adjusting for engine overhauls, avionics, etc. Year-to-year maintenance I consider as operational cost. I definitely would not characterize aircraft ownership as a money tree; not sure where that was coming from.

How many airplanes have you bought and sold?

Owning an airplane is like dating a stripper.

Lots of fun but very expensive.

It was for the wife and I today. We made a 400NM emergency pick up for her to come back to help me with our little guy getting projectile vomiting sick. It made the traveling a matter of 3-4 hours, versus the 8 hour ordeal it is via airlines (we have a 3 hour drive + no direct flights) or the insane 8-10 hour drive via rental. It was a longish day for me (2+45, 3+45 back to back sorties, solid IFR arrival on one, light rime icing on the other), but it was well worth the speedy return of momma bear. We looked at each other during the flight back and I knew this was another one in the win column for this family's ownership experience. Today was a good day thanks to a little piper Arrow and a happy and impressed wife.

Tally for the trip was around 59 gallons. Not too bad considering the empty volume we could have filled. Maybe one day momma bear and I may get to enjoy 3 mile a minute luxury, but all in all we're pretty grateful to have access to this conveyance. I wouldn't change a thing. Money is but an instrument.

Interesting you bring up three miles a minute, it's the number I settled on for traveling speed GA style. It's pretty much the point of diminishing returns of %time saved/$$$ spent, although Lancair makes a lie of that.

I got a win in a similar scenario.

Wife flew commercial to prepare her mom's house for sale. All she really wanted to get done way lay a few peel and stick tiles. A few hours into the job, I got a call asking me to fly up and "fix" the mess that was being made. about 4 hours later (it's about a 9 hour drive) I was peeling and sticking. (Hint - don't lay tile from two directions at once. . . )

On that Sunday, I was loading the 35 up when my wife realized that she would be waiting for several more hours on the commercial flight to leave. Basically I would be home for hours before the first leg of her commercial flight touched down. Instantly, I had a PAX and away we went...

There are some plusses. . . .

We looked at each other during the flight back and I knew this was another one in the win column for this family's ownership experience. Today was a good day thanks to a little piper Arrow and a happy and impressed wife.

:cheerswine:

brian];1969152 said:
I got a win in a similar scenario.

Wife flew commercial to prepare her mom's house for sale. All she really wanted to get done way lay a few peel and stick tiles. A few hours into the job, I got a call asking me to fly up and "fix" the mess that was being made. about 4 hours later (it's about a 9 hour drive) I was peeling and sticking. (Hint - don't lay tile from two directions at once. . . )

On that Sunday, I was loading the 35 up when my wife realized that she would be waiting for several more hours on the commercial flight to leave. Basically I would be home for hours before the first leg of her commercial flight touched down. Instantly, I had a PAX and away we went...

There are some plusses. . . .

Yes there are, there are definitely pluses, they typcally are not financial though. BTW, no problem laying two directions at once as long as you start in the middle.:D

Dating a stripper is like eating potato chips in church. Everyone looks at you with disgust, but they all really want to be you.

When I worked at a strip club trying to close, I found the fastest way to get the girls off the floor to get the guys to leave peacefully was turn on the fluorescent lights. :rofl: It's like a parade of fleeing vampires. :rofl: Those red lights hide a lot. :lol:

When I worked at a strip club trying to close, I found the fastest way to get the girls off the floor to get the guys to leave peacefully was turn on the fluorescent lights. :rofl: It's like a parade of fleeing vampires. :rofl: Those red lights hide a lot. :lol:

LOL! Dark lighting, makeup, and alcohol have been the folly of many a human being.

:yes:
Don't listen to your wife... buy the airplane.. (that's what I did ! )
Sorry, didn't read all the posts, I just figured there was a wife involved with the decision somewhere ! :D

:yes:
Don't listen to your wife... buy the airplane.. (that's what I did ! )
Sorry, didn't read all the posts, I just figured there was a wife involved with the decision somewhere ! :D

At least at the beginning ... then ...

Well, there was that one time when I was in the Army when I got thrown out of a strip club ...

... just how fast would you like to see this thread closed?

Back