Is my CFII having me fly the ILS too fast?

Yeah, I figured. I was surprised to see some folks say they'll do that.
Maybe I missed it, but who actually says that?

If you are referring to my post about lowering the gear at DH, read it again. I said nothing about dropping the gear at breakout. It is something I have only done that a couple of times in VFR conditions.

If you are referring to my post about lowering the gear at DH, read it again. I said nothing about dropping the gear at breakout. It is something I have only done that a couple of times in VFR conditions.
I missed the comment earlier, but, even severe clear, I wouldn't intentionally wait until 200 AGL to lower the gear except in an engine out emergency (real or simulated) where it would make a difference between success and failure. I guess I'm just not as comfortable with the idea as you.

My gear comes down when my SOP says the gear comes down. Inside that box, "keep your speed up" or "best forward speed" to me means with gear deployed.

I missed the comment earlier, but, even severe clear, I wouldn't intentionally wait until 200 AGL to lower the gear except in an engine out emergency (real or simulated) where it would make a difference between success and failure. I guess I'm just not as comfortable with the idea as you.
Comfort/confidence in the pilot and airplane and making conscious risk management decisions has a lot to do with it. To be clear, my comment was really more anecdotal than a recommendation. If I was a CFII, I wouldn't necessarily teach it that way.

For the few situations I have employed it, in order to assist with flow during the push, I flew the final about 5 kts above VLE and then would start easing the power back around 500' while easing pitch up and by 200' I was well inside gear speed. This, of course, going into an 8000' runway and again, I would never do that in IMC.

For a typical approach, I am a gear down a dot or two below GS. Whether I change the flap configuration inside the FAF depends on the IMC conditions and the airplane.

Fair enough. I wouldn't try that with an examiner on board. Ha. They'd have said "fail" quite a ways out from there, unless the candidate had been VERY communicative about that as a plan. ;)

130 kts is only 3 kts slower than our max landing weight VREF of 133KTS in a G550 at 75,300lbs. I'd say that is unsafe and it would have to feel ridiculously uncomfortable with configuration changes wile slowing rapidly at 200 feet. I would like to bet he has 3hr in a Cessna CJ With a local guy and thinks he has it all figured out. Run, run away from this fool. Or just take him out back. Sounds like he needs a tune up to me.

Nothing wrong with a fast ILS if you have plenty of runway. You may need to fly one someday if you are unfortunate enough to get loaded up with ice. And frankly I think its easier fly an ILS faster than it is slower.

That said - best practice is to fly it at a speed close enough to your landing speed that you can easily slow to a normal approach speed from 200'. In the airplane you describe with a max FE at 102 knots I would fly somewhere around 90-100 knots.

Back