is it strange that I dont mind foggle time?

muleywannabe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokee235
We have done 1.5 hours of foggle time so far. I actually enjoy it, its a lot of workload and I dont mind it. am I nuts? I also like stall practice, am I strange? :rofl:

Is there something odd about enjoying flying including simulated instruments / stalls? I don't think so. My brother and I used to do unusual attitudes under the hood for the fun of it.

Are you nuts/strange? Ain't got a clue.

When we were babies, shaking a rattle was fun. It's new and you may not have mastered it yet, so it's fun. I suspect that you'll tire of it. You may be nuts or strange, but not because of this in itself.

Yes, it is strange. I spend a couple of hundred hours a year in the right seat while someone wearing a vision restricting device is flying the plane, and I've never before heard from anyone who doesn't mind it. Of course, that and a fiver will get you a cup of coffee at Starbuck's, so...:dunno:

I don't mind "foggle" time. Actually I do - I don't like foggles, they make it too easy to "cheat". I preferred the old-style big hood.

I flat-out enjoy unusual attitude recoveries under the hood. They have never been a problem for me, probably because I've had plenty of "upset recovery" training and basic aerobatic training.

A favorite training exercise is to fly with your eyes closed under the hood for as long as you can, trying to fly straight and level. It teaches the importance of trim in the 182. If you have it trimmed correctly, it will fly just fine hands-off for quite some time.

The only time I didn't like the foggles were when we were flying directly towards the sun. Then I was temporarily blinded until I could get the sun shade pulled down to block it or request a turn (sometimes I think he was really just trying to blind me).

I kept getting the "Are you OK under there? Do you want to take them off for a little break?" but never felt the need for it. It took me a little while to get over the feeling that I was playing a video game (since I've flown sims "heads down" for so much time before), but never felt tired or stressed with them on... until the checkride. ;)

I don't think so, I find that I do much much better holding altitudes and headings with the foggles.
Stalls are fun too, once I got over the fear.

We have done 1.5 hours of foggle time so far. I actually enjoy it, its a lot of workload and I dont mind it. am I nuts? I also like stall practice, am I strange? :rofl:

You will really like flying IMC then.

I prefer actual IMC to any of the view limiting devices I've found. My foggles were overlaid with electrical tape the first time they blinded me in the sun, since then I've probably used 3 or 4 different view limiters and disliked them all. It's not natural to try and look under a blacked out portion when you're in actual, you instead just look directly at the instruments.

If you like foggle time, you'll love bad community theater, off-key karaoke, and eating continental breakfast in the lobby with a bunch of guys who haven't showered yet. :lol: :rofl:

Seriously, foggle time isn't hard -- but LIKING it? Um, no. :dunno:

I really like flying inverted, especially inverted flat spins :) not to hijack the thread, but where does one draw the line? :dunno:

Whole 'nother kettle of fish, there. Aerobatics are fun and exciting. Foggles are, um, not?

At my company we do unusual attitudes under the hood, I mean foggles. Last time I used a horse face giant hood I spent most of the time trying to keep it on my head, and very little time flying.

If you like foggles... you may like Jepp Shades even better!! I sure did!

JeppShades.jpg

I didn't mind foggle time at all. At first it was really stressful, but by the checkride I felt like it actually took away workload. I just had to watch the instruments, and didn't have to worry about checking for other aircraft, reference points, etc. I just steer. Nothing too crazy there. Looking forward to getting my IR.

.I just had to watch the instruments, and didn't have to worry about checking for other aircraft, reference points, etc. I just steer..

I had the same exact feeling while under the hood! Felt like my world I had to focus on was much more condensed!

I don't mind foggles or a hood. Kinda like flying solely by instruments actually. What I don't like is not getting to see the world go by. Getting to see the world go by is the main reason I fly!

Okay, good. so most of you are somewhat nutty like myself, haha. After I made that comment about foggles, my instructor told me that you have 20+ hours under the hood for instrument time...That doesnt sound like much fun though.

I enjoy foggle time or hood time, either one. But then, one of the things that attracted me to flying in the first place was the challenge.

my instructor told me that you have 20+ hours under the hood for instrument time...That doesnt sound like much fun though.

The time under the hood for IFR is needed/required and goes by quickly. There is much to learn and practice and using the "view limiting device" actually aids in focusing on the required tasks.

Just relax, find a device, foggle, shade, whatever, that is comfortable to wear, find a good instructor, and get too it!.

Okay, good. so most of you are somewhat nutty like myself, haha. After I made that comment about foggles, my instructor told me that you have 20+ hours under the hood for instrument time...That doesnt sound like much fun though.

61.65(d)(2) - 40 Hours of actual or simulated instrument time.

Maybe you can just do 40 actual doing approaches?

I use a Francis hood on the theory that if you are going to do something...

I like hood time and enjoy UA under the hood but, frankly, the Francis hood is uncomfortable and detracts a bit. Still like it, though.

I was never a fan of hood time...it's a challenge that's for sure but it always hurt a little more writing that check for $190+ when I only got to see outside the window for 5 mins of the entire flight. But such is IMC part of the "fun."

Prefer IMC to foggles. Foggles however are a necessity to stay current,a lot of the time.

Back