Is it legal for a PPL flying in IMC on a IFR flight plan with someone IFR rated?

streazy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
streazy
My friend who is IFR rated would file and receive clearance to our destination. Me who only has a PPL and an IFR student is the sole manipulator of the aircraft. The whole flight is expected to be cloudy en route. Both pilots are current in class and category.

Is this legal and what can I log? Can I be the PIC in this case?

My friend who is IFR rated would file and receive clearance to our destination. Me who only has a PPL and an IFR student is the sole manipulator of the aircraft. The whole flight is expected to be cloudy en route. Both pilots are current in class and category.

According to FAA regulations, your friend has to be the PIC, which means that in addition to being rated in category and class, he/she must also have any endorsement or type rating if one is required for the aircraft. You can log PIC time for the time that you are sole manipulator of the controls as long as you are rated in category and class, including type rating if one is required for the aircraft.

You should probably also check whatever insurance policies might apply.

Last edited:

It is legal. Your buddy is PIC (and responsible). You are a passenger the PIC is allowing to fly the airplane.

You may log PIC, actual instrument, etc for the time you are sole manipulator.

Your buddy may log PIC, actual instrument, etc for the time he is sole manipulator.

Neither of you may log anything for the time the other is sole manipulator.

If one of you is the sole manipulator for an entire leg if the flight, from takeoff to landing, that one may log cross country time. Otherwise, neither of you may log cross country for that leg,

I may have missed something, but I think that covers it.

Last edited:
It is legal. Your buddy is PIC (and responsible). You are a passenger the PIC us allowing to fly the airplane.

You may log PIC, actual instrument, etc for the time you are sole manipulator.

Your buddy may log PIC, actual instrument, etc for the time he is sole manipulator.

Neither of you may log anything for the time the other is sole manipulator.

If one of you is the sole manipulator for an entire leg if the flight, from takeoff to landing, that one may log cross country time. Otherwise, neither of you may log cross country for that leg,

I may have missed something, but I think that covers it.
What if my buddy and I both want to log PIC time as if he is the safety pilot?

Last edited:
What if my buddy wants to log safety pilot PIC time? Then the conditions must be VFR?
A safety pilot is required by the regs when the pilot flying is wearing a view limiting device. It doesn't need to be VFR or even VMC.

I think you missed the nuance in the question. If he filed ifr and is not rated for ifr, can his rated safety pilot act as pic during flight under ifr rules.

I think you missed the nuance in the question. If he filed ifr and is not rated for ifr, can his rated safety pilot act as pic during flight under ifr rules.

Didn't miss anything. VFR or IFR, IMC or VMC makes no difference to the safety pilot rules (the necessity to have one or what can be logged). The only provision is as we discussed all along, the right seat guy who is legal needs to be PIC. If the left seat guy is hooded while the right seat guy is the safety pilot AND PIC. They can both log PIC time. Even in IMC.

Didn't miss anything. VFR or IFR, IMC or VMC makes no difference to the safety pilot rules (the necessity to have one or what can be logged). The only provision is as we discussed all along, the right seat guy who is legal needs to be PIC. If the left seat guy is hooded while the right seat guy is the safety pilot AND PIC. They can both log PIC time. Even in IMC.
I agree, just pointing it out.

While the question has been answered, I would encourage OP to discuss this with his CFI-I if he hasn’t already done so.

If only someone had written a big explanation of all this that was a sticky in this very forum.

No. You can't be PIC.

Ron,

Regarding your comment that if the pilot is wearing a hood, but the flight is conducted in actual instrument conditions, the safety pilot may log PIC, can you point to a FAA General Counsel opinion that would support this. I could not find one. In fact, I think that this one disputes the claim. https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/f...rps/2011/Walker_2011_Legal_Interpretation.pdf

Well, you got me. That decision is complete horsepoop. The argument that there's simulated instrument flight doesn't occur in IMC is nonsense. By that assinine argument I could wear foggles when entering IMC and not have anybody provide a visual lookout.

This falls short of reality two ways.

1. Pilots in other than positive controlled airspace are required to maintain a visual lookout even if it is assumed IMC. One man's 2 miles of visibility might be another's 3.5.
2. If you don't have a visual lookout, how do you know you're still in IMC?

I'm going to have to write the counsel on this one. This "interpretation" is completely counter to safety.

Ron, I think it would be worthwhile to submit a question regarding the meaning or definition of actual instrument conditions. My working definition is the conditions are such that control of the aircraft may not be accomplished visually and the pilot/crew must use their flight instruments to maintain control. This is usually the case whenever a horizon is not visually discernable. I don't view IMC which is Instrument Meteorological Conditions and defined in the PCG as "INSTRUMENT METEOROLOGICAL CONDITIONS (IMC)− Meteorological conditions expressed in terms of visibility, distance from cloud, and ceiling less than the minima specified for visual meteorological conditions." So it is quite possible for an entire flight to be conducted in IMC, but not in actual instrument conditions.

I guess it depends on what you define as adequate vision. Is it possible to have adequate vision if you are in IMC?

(c) No person may operate a civil aircraft in simulated instrument flight unless—
(2) The safety pilot has adequate vision forward and to each side of the aircraft, or a competent observer in the aircraft adequately supplements the vision of the safety pilot

Ron, I think it would be worthwhile to submit a question regarding the meaning or definition of actual instrument conditions. My working definition is the conditions are such that control of the aircraft may not be accomplished visually and the pilot/crew must use their flight instruments to maintain control. This is usually the case whenever a horizon is not visually discernable. I don't view IMC which is Instrument Meteorological Conditions and defined in the PCG as "INSTRUMENT METEOROLOGICAL CONDITIONS (IMC)− Meteorological conditions expressed in terms of visibility, distance from cloud, and ceiling less than the minima specified for visual meteorological conditions." So it is quite possible for an entire flight to be conducted in IMC, but not in actual instrument conditions.
I'm not sure why one would need to submit a question that was answered by the Chief Counsel in 1984 - the somewhat famous "moonless night" letter.

"Actual" instrument flight conditions occur when some outside conditions make it necessary for the pilot to use the aircraft instruments in order to maintain adequate control over the aircraft.​
I've seen the moonless night letter discussed for about as long as I've been flying. I had fun writing about it for IFR Magazine a while back (no paywall).

And you are absolutely about "actual' not being equivalent to flying 900' feet below an overcast with 100 miles visibility (IMC above 10,000 MSL).

Then it should be an easy question to answer. IMC and actual instrument conditions are often conflated with each other.

Well, you got me. That decision is complete horsepoop. The argument that there's simulated instrument flight doesn't occur in IMC is nonsense. By that assinine argument I could wear foggles when entering IMC and not have anybody provide a visual lookout.
I think that's a common misreading of Walker.

The scenario Walker discusses is the flying pilot not wearing a view limiting device. It's saying that the non-flying PIC in that situation is not a 91.109 safety pilot and therefor can't log anything. It's limited to that scenario and not a situation in which the flying pilot is wearing a view limiting device.

Then it should be an easy question to answer. IMC and actual instrument conditions are often conflated with each other.
It is easy to answer. In fact, I'd expect the Chief Counsel to punt it as not being "present[ing] a novel or legally significant issue.

The FAA General Counsel has a website, but it does not go back to the 1980's, so from what they publish on their site, it would be helpful IMHO.

I guess it depends on what you define as adequate vision. Is it possible to have adequate vision if you are in IMC?

(c) No person may operate a civil aircraft in simulated instrument flight unless—
(2) The safety pilot has adequate vision forward and to each side of the aircraft, or a competent observer in the aircraft adequately supplements the vision of the safety pilot
You have it as well as the pilot flying if he weren't hooded. Being in reduced visibility doesn't remove the visibility forward and to the side. You see OUT OF the aircraft just fine.

You have it as well as the pilot flying if he weren't hooded. Being in reduced visibility doesn't remove the visibility forward and to the side. You see OUT OF the aircraft just fine.
Yes. The key is thatchedthe requirement for “adequate vision” is tied to the requirement to
When weather conditions permit, regardless of whether an operation is conducted under instrument flight rules or visual flight rules, vigilance shall be maintained by each person operating an aircraft so as to see and avoid other aircraft.​

The FAR is a body of rules. As soon as we look at one rule as though no others exist, we are making a mistake in understanding them. “Adequate vision” means the ability to see outside the aircraft when conditions allow us to see what is there.

This falls short of reality two ways.

1. Pilots in other than positive controlled airspace are required to maintain a visual lookout even if it is assumed IMC. One man's 2 miles of visibility might be another's 3.5.
2. If you don't have a visual lookout, how do you know you're still in IMC?

I'm going to have to write the counsel on this one. This "interpretation" is completely counter to safety.
Sorry, but I agree with the FAA interpretation of the regulation. Not allowing the logging of the time does not decrease the safety of the flight.

if you want to log time IMC while supervising a non IR rated pilot, the CFI-I certificate is available to you.

It's got nothing to do with the logging of time. It's the argument that you don't need a safety pilot if you have a hooded pilot in actual that gets me.

It's got nothing to do with the logging of time. It's the argument that you don't need a safety pilot if you have a hooded pilot in actual that gets me.
Fortunately, the interpretation neither says that nor supports that argument. It’s a hollow argument supported by nothing and contrary to everything.

It would also complicate logging when flying in a broken layer.

Holy Toledo, am I confused- and I am a CFII. Although I will admit it’s been a very long time since I did any instrument instruction in small airplanes.

The OP asked what I thought was a pretty straightforward question.
He or she wanted to know if they, as a non-instrument rated pilot, can log PIC time while manipulating the controls of an airplane that is flying on an instrument flight plan. Key words here…a flight that has accepted an instrument clearance.

What ensued was some convoluted back and forth about foggles, simulated conditions, cloud clearances, etc.

The only person that can log PIC time after accepting an Instrument clearance and operating on an instrument flight plan is the person who is appropriately rated for such an operation. In this case, the person who has the instrument rating- UNLESS:

IF,
after departing, the flight is in VMC conditions , the non-instrument rated person CAN log PIC time if they are the sole manipulator of the controls while the airplane is operating in VMC conditions.

IF, at any time during this flight, the aircraft enters the clouds, the non-instrument rated pilot is no longer qualified to be manipulating the controls UNLESS the PIC is a CFII.
In other words, not only can a non instrument rated pilot NOT log PIC in instrument conditions, he or she cannot be manipulating the controls unless they are with an instrument rated instructor.

he or she cannot be manipulating the controls unless they are with an instrument rated instructor.
I’d like to see the reg that says that. Don’t believe that’s true.

The reg I’m aware of doesn’t say anything about clearances or imc, only aircraft rating.

when the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated, or has sport pilot privileges for that category and class of aircraft, if the aircraft class rating is appropriate;

IF, at any time during this flight, the aircraft enters the clouds, the non-instrument rated pilot is no longer qualified to be manipulating the controls UNLESS the PIC is a CFII.
In other words, not only can a non instrument rated pilot NOT log PIC in instrument conditions, he or she cannot be manipulating the controls unless they are with an instrument rated instructor.
Did you read the Walker interpretation that is linked in post #12? The FAA legal department doesn’t agree with you.

Did you read the Walker interpretation that is linked in post #12? The FAA legal department doesn’t agree with you.
Yes. I did read it.
Hence, my statements that I am confused and that I admittedly haven’t participated in such operations since before the Clinton administration.

That legal interpretation flies in the face of everything I learned and was issued well after I left this type of flying.
On top of all that, the linked interpretation of that FAA counsel makes absolutely no sense, but OK.

Nonsense. An instrument rating on the instructor certificate is only needed to log instrument instruction for certain certificates/ratings and IPCs. A regular CFI is free to instruct otherwise in actual conditions. Further, an instructor rating is not required at all for a pilot in command to allow someone else to manipulate the controls in any meteorological conditions.

Last edited:
Holy Toledo, am I confused- and I am a CFII. Although I will admit it’s been a very long time since I did any instrument instruction in small airplanes.

He or she wanted to know if they, as a non-instrument rated pilot, can log PIC time while manipulating the controls of an airplane that is flying on an instrument flight plan. Key words here…a flight that has accepted an instrument clearance.

What ensued was some convoluted back and forth about foggles, simulated conditions, cloud clearances, etc.

The only person that can log PIC time after accepting an Instrument clearance and operating on an instrument flight plan is the person who is appropriately rated for such an operation. In this case, the person who has the instrument rating- UNLESS:

IF,
after departing, the flight is in VMC conditions , the non-instrument rated person CAN log PIC time if they are the sole manipulator of the controls while the airplane is operating in VMC conditions.

Perhaps you should read the Walker letter linked above, where it says:
1711294749676.png
Or maybe the earlier Speranza letter where the Chief Counsel goes into more detail explaining why this is a basic "sole manipulator" question what's been answered the same way since 1980.

Last edited:
Yes. I did read it.
Hence, my statements that I am confused and that I admittedly haven’t participated in such operations since before the Clinton administration.

That legal interpretation flies in the face of everything I learned and was issued well after I left this type of flying.
On top of all that, the linked interpretation of that FAA counsel makes absolutely no sense, but OK.
It's "logging PIC 101." 61.51 says, "A sport, recreational, private, commercial, or airline transport pilot may log pilot in command flight time for flights- ... when the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated." Note: rated for the "aircraft," not for the "operation." I don't know how long it's been for you, but the FAA has been absolutely consistent on this for the past 40+ years. Basically, the "logging" rules are independent of the "acting" rules.

If you want a summary/refresher, here's my article for IFR magazine, Logging vs Being PIC.

IF,

This is a lot of words to give the wrong answer when the correct answer was linked in the first reply and explained in the second.

You could try asking them for a copy of the Carr letter first.
That would answer my question if I didn't already have a copy. I think Mark provided it to me. By posting an answer on their website would communicate to a much wider audience. If I have my count right, I have asked the General Counsel for opinions in 8 cases, they decline to answer only one of them, and it was referred to Flight Standards for a response, which was never forthcoming, even though I followed up several times with them. I think the lack of an answer in this case was because they simply did not have one.

IF,

Might want to let that CFII expire because, damn, there's a lot of wrong being said.

Last edited:
Back