Is it just me...

Keep in mind that I was once told Citations have twice as many rivets as necessary because Cessna couldn’t guarantee that they’d all be properly bucked.

That's s good to know. I know they can't all be perfect but I don't want to have to drill and replace a bunch if I were to take on a partially completed project.
Some even look like they weren't bucked at all almost.
But again I just don't have any experience and that stood out to me.

They ain’t great, but RVs are over engineered in that regard on purpose. However riveting isn’t that hard so the problem is what other techniques and/or processes less visible possibly suffer from the same lack of quality and consistency? At the very least use can use that to negotiate a discount.

**** if that bugs you, you don't want to see my wiring.

Looks possible that the builder got better as he/she went along. Second picture is less than awful. Also appears that there is a lot of unbuilt stuff - so not that far along in the build.
How much would it cost to buy the untouched kit parts and how much to replace the worst parts?

Looks possible that the builder got better as he/she went along. Second picture is less than awful. Also appears that there is a lot of unbuilt stuff - so not that far along in the build.
How much would it cost to buy the untouched kit parts and how much to replace the worst parts?

That top pic is a wing skin riveted to the spar. The bottom pic looks like a wing rear spar or elevator spar. All that would be required to redo it wouldn’t be worth the effort and that assumes that these are the only problem areas. Unless this plane is a steal my advice is to keep looking as the mediocre rivet job could be carried over to the installation and maintenance of every component/system on the plane.

Starting on page 164 of AC 43.13-1B it gives the details to Riveting (paragraph 4-57). There's a lot of factors to qualify an acceptable rivet installation. Sometimes it's hard to get the bucking bar and/or rivet set squarely on a rivet and have the pressures just right. Doesn't mean it's not acceptable and performing as intended.
AC43.13-1BRivet.jpg
Here's a link to AC-43.13-1B
https://drs.faa.gov/browse/excelExternalWindow/99C827DB9BAAC81B86256B4500596C4E.0001

Starting on page 164 of AC 43.13-1B it gives the details to Riveting (paragraph 4-57). There's a lot of factors to qualify an acceptable rivet installation. Sometimes it's hard to get the bucking bar and/or rivet set squarely on a rivet and have the pressures just right. Doesn't mean it's not acceptable and performing as intended.
View attachment 118794
Here's a link to AC-43.13-1B
https://drs.faa.gov/browse/excelExternalWindow/99C827DB9BAAC81B86256B4500596C4E.0001

While what you say is generally true, I can say from experience that the rivets shown In the pics were not difficult to set and riveting an RV shouldn’t pose much of a challenge. Again riveting isn’t that hard.

That top one looks like one of those samples that they put together to show you all the ways you can f*** it up.

I don't know anything about rivets, but top pic looks like what happens if your nail gun is acting weird.

with riveting skilz like that, I’d wonder what you’d see in the metal parts - did it get pounded where the gun or bucking bar slipped? Are the holes messed up?

Back