Is it considerd owner MX!

I wouldn't say that Tom, wouldn't want to put my name and numbers to a plane had someone turning wrenches on it in secret, if it's logged you could always double check the work if you were concerned.

IMHO I don't keep secrets from my APIA, personal or aircraft logs, and I'd expect my APIA to not do undocumented work ether.

I suspect Tom was meaning that Dr. O should find a mechanic who's work is better than his. At least that's how I took it.

I agree with you and the others that would not want to sign off on someone's airplane when you have no idea what the owner did to it because they refuse to document their work. There are a number of those guys locally, some of whom think that if they tell me about what they're doing that it constitutes an approval. I will not sign off on their stuff, because I have no idea what they actually did or how they did it. There seems to be no shortage of mechanics who will sign their stuff off though, so I just might be too conservative.

I suspect Tom was meaning that Dr. O should find a mechanic who's work is better than his. At least that's how I took it.

I agree with you and the others that would not want to sign off on someone's airplane when you have no idea what the owner did to it because they refuse to document their work. There are a number of those guys locally, some of whom think that if they tell me about what they're doing that it constitutes an approval. I will not sign off on their stuff, because I have no idea what they actually did or how they did it. There seems to be no shortage of mechanics who will sign their stuff off though, so I just might be too conservative.

Seems to me it depends entirely on WHAT they're doing. If it's stuff that lends itself to easy inspection, such as "I attached this in an easily accessible area..." or "I replaced this part with this part," I don't know why a reasonable A&P would have any issue inspecting the work, confirming source of the parts/supplies and signing off. I do a fair amount of work on my airplane and our A&P/IA inspects and signs off. I tell him what I'm doing, what parts I'm using, where I sourced those parts, and how I installed them. I also leave everything open to make his inspection easier. He checks, asks questions, and if he's satisfied, he signs off. Of course, early in our working relationship I "assisted" while he was present so he could get a feel for whether I was competent or not. Once he was comfortable with my skills, we got into the routine I just discussed. Bear in mind, however, that I'm not doing "major" maintenance. I've swapped out some switches, done some work on landing gear wiring, removed, shipped for repair and reinstalled instruments, etc., but I'm not rebuilding engine parts or removing control surfaces.

"I agree with you and the others that would not want to sign off on someone's airplane when you have no idea what the owner did to it because they refuse to document their work. There are a number of those guys locally, some of whom think that if they tell me about what they're doing that it constitutes an approval. I will not sign off on their stuff, because I have no idea what they actually did or how they did it. There seems to be no shortage of mechanics who will sign their stuff off though, so I just might be too conservative." mondtster

"Of course, early in our working relationship I "assisted" while he was present so he could get a feel for whether I was competent or not. Once he was comfortable with my skills, we got into the routine I just discussed." bradg33

I agree with not putting my signature to someone else's work. May lose me some customers, but truthfully, I can't afford that customer and yes, there are plenty out there that will sign off on it. If you consider your work to be so much better, for whatever reason, then put your signature in the logbook. After all you will want to take the credit and the liability. It also gives a head's up to your AP/IA so they are not blindsided at the next inspection. Don't pass your work off to some AP/IA and expect him to figure out what you did or didn't do under the cowl and what procedures, manuals and material were used in affecting that repair or maintenance.
I am not talking about the owners who are up front and honest with their A&P and worked under supervision, in fact I encourage the phone call with questions and discussion before the fact, not after, but so many of these posts refer to doing unsupervised work beyond Part 43, then having to "find an AP/IA to sign off on it". If in doubt call your local FSDO and you will have your answer in two minutes. If that thought makes you break out in a cold sweat, well ....o_O

Long and short, man I need to get my AP!

I believe all owners, being ultimately responsible for their aircraft airworthiness, should have their A&P.
Be nice if we had a cert that allowed you to work on your plane or maybe by plane type. A full A&P isn't easy or cheap.

There's no way I'd work general aviation, now, knowing what I've learned here.

Which begs the question, since you don't work GA and apparently don't own an aircraft nor fly one, why are you here?

Already been discussed months ago.

Whatever, if you don't want to answer the question that's fine.

On the wheel bearings: you've already disassembled and cleaned them. So what exactly is "complex" about reassembling them with new parts? I'm completely lost on the logic being followed here. As Jim pointed out there's common sense or you can spend all day parsing regulatory text into segments to support whatever absurd notion you have about the subject then spend the next week trying to convince everyone on an Internet forum that you're right.

I might reconsider working on GA aircraft or even getting a small plane, at a later date.

Wheel bearing Preventive Maintenance is spelled out pretty clearly. The FAA didn't list: cleaning, lubrication, replacement.

AC 43-12A
4. PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE. b. 1. FAR Part 43, Appendix A, paragraph (c) contains the list of those functions determined by the FAA to meet this definition. If a function does not appear in this list, it is not preventive maintenance.

And, I was done.

If during the routine repack I should replace non synthetic grease with synthetic would that also be a alteration?

If during the routine repack I should replace non synthetic grease with synthetic would that also be a alteration?
You replaced the grease with new??? Better get a 337... Might even go for a field approval just to cya.

Is it approved? Are the Alaska parts approved?

Yes and yes

If I was going to use unapproved stuff I'd have just saved a few bucks and got a experimental super cyclone.

Back