Is it always this windy in November in the NE?

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
Holy crap the winds have been ripping along here recently. Been scratching plans quite often due to high winds and/or gusty winds. Scrapped plans to go flying/camping saturday due to 15G28 crosswinds at starting and dest airports. Went up yesterday morning, but turned around after getting beaten up pretty good in the air.

Had a "learning experience" landing at home with gusts up to 23 from variable directions. Was doing pretty well on the approach, dipping the wing with opposite rudder when needed. Right in ground affect, got a big crosswind and gave it a little too much throttle when the gust died and floated into the next gust and put it down firmly. No bounce, no damage, so alls good. :lol: Am glad I went up because it was a good refresher from training on dealing with crosswinds. Little rusty, but the memory will be there for next time.

Don't think the wife will want to fly down to DC for Thanksgiving if we're going to get smacked around the whole flight.

Not really that normal, by not that abnormal ether, just get up there, find a good altitude, know VA and be proficient in your landings, 0 flaps on wheels down, read pireps, ask ATC if they know where some smooth air is, etc.

Last night was rather nice, a couple days ago I did a good little xc in my personal plane, smooth, good x wind on landing and t/o, did about 160kts over the deck one way and only 90kts the other way.

It's a pain, but not something worth scrapping a flight over.

You should relocate to the Rockies.
Those would be mild spring days here and fairly normal afternoon winds during the rest of the year.
Just go with the flow

Common pattern is that the day after crappy weather you often get very clear days, but with high winds.

AIRMETs for low level turb are usually fairly accurate so that should help in figuring out if you'll have a smooth ride or not. Also, check the PIREPs before your flight.

Never seen a pirep show up in my area before on duats.

I learned to fly at New Bedford, MA.

The winds will calm down in March/April.

You either learn to fly in the winds/turbulence or you don't get up much. Often not so much fun for the passengers though.

Welcome to winter flying up here. I always tell people who fly with me during the winter that flying during the winter is a "unique" experience because it is "unique" if everything goes as planed and the plane starts the first time we try.

Winter flying will make a good pilot out of anyone. That's why I have unbelievable respect for those bush pilots who fly in these types of conditions 8 months out of the year!

You should relocate to the Rockies.
Those would be mild spring days here and fairly normal afternoon winds during the rest of the year.
Just go with the flow

An appropriate time for this image...

Attachments

• XVfsclN.jpg
    XVfsclN.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 22
You can fly 6 PM to 6 AM, sometimes.
The other 12 hours the wind blows, most of the time.

last couple of years, I was taking off and landing on one wheel so much of the time, that even when the wind stopped, I was still taking off and landing on one wheel.

Last edited:
Back