Is /I Practical?

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
From Wikipedia:
/I is LORAN, VOR/DME, or INS, transponder with Mode C

I've pretty much only flown /G but I trained in /U airplane with VFR-only GPS systems.

In this case, an airplane with dual VOR w DME and ADF...is it practical in today's busy airspace?

From Wikipedia:

I've pretty much only flown /G but I trained in /U airplane with VFR-only GPS systems.

In this case, an airplane with dual VOR w DME and ADF...is it practical in today's busy airspace?

Works for me...

From Wikipedia:

That's not what /I means. /I is for VOR-DME RNAV. VOR-DME is /A.

I don't get the question, it seems like a non-sequitur. Are you asking if it is practical to file the correct equipment suffix for the equipment you have in your airplane? :dunno:

I think he's just asking if today's airspace makes it still practical for small planes to fly sans-IFR GPS.

With DME, I think it's pretty well doable. Without DME, it becomes that much more of a workload to keep track of where you are.

Seems the OP misunderstood the context of VOR-DME in /I ops. As other posters have noted, it stands for RNAV based on VOR/DME boxes like the KNS-80. The other functions are relegated to INS or GPS/INS boxes that don't fulfill the /G criteria.

The thread title probably meant to ask if /A was a practical application in today's airspace. To which the answer is yes imo, but it does becomes limited and laborious over longer distances or in SID/STAR ops.

As to /I proper, in the case of military aircraft, they're highly prevalent among tactical aircraft mainly because the GPS functionalities contained in said aircraft have not been certified to the full extent of /G criteria due to monetary/cultural (fighter) decisions. Which is to say, for us in the mil world, we effectively behave like /G aircraft in the radar enroute environment, we simply cannot legally do certain things certified /G airplanes can. It's not much of a hindrance; it;s a sort of "/I in name only", aside from RNAV/GPS approach capabilities which are self-evident.

As to GA /I piston aircraft? I haven't seen a post-LORAN one other than those with KNS-80 boxes. They are an outlier way of being able to file direct legally whilst essentially navigating with the use of a handheld or VFR-mounted GPS. In order to genuinely fly /I using a KNS-80 would require a clusterfog of radial-dme points on a filed flight plan that would give even the most pedantic controller a headache. So yes, doing that [old school KNS-80 RNAV] would be impractical in today's GPS-waypoint dominated NAS.

As to GA /I piston aircraft? I haven't seen a post-LORAN one other than those with KNS-80 boxes.

We used to have a 172 with a Cessna RNAV. You had to tune the VOR and DME radios and then set the radial and distance with thumbwheels. Push the button and the OBS/CDI switched to the waypoint you defined. Had two way points you could toggle back and forth.

My wife's instructor told his students, no GPS (portable GPSs were just starting to hit the market at the time). I taught her how to use the RNAV. The next lesson she plugged in her destination airport and started to fly direct. That led to the NO RNAV prohibition.

Seems the OP misunderstood the context of VOR-DME in /I ops. As other posters have noted, it stands for RNAV based on VOR/DME boxes like the KNS-80. The other functions are relegated to INS or GPS/INS boxes that don't fulfill the /G criteria.

The thread title probably meant to ask if /A was a practical application in today's airspace. To which the answer is yes imo, but it does becomes limited and laborious over longer distances or in SID/STAR ops.

As to /I proper, in the case of military aircraft, they're highly prevalent among tactical aircraft mainly because the GPS functionalities contained in said aircraft have not been certified to the full extent of /G criteria due to monetary/cultural (fighter) decisions. Which is to say, for us in the mil world, we effectively behave like /G aircraft in the radar enroute environment, we simply cannot legally do certain things certified /G airplanes can. It's not much of a hindrance; it;s a sort of "/I in name only", aside from RNAV/GPS approach capabilities which are self-evident.

As to GA /I piston aircraft? I haven't seen a post-LORAN one other than those with KNS-80 boxes. They are an outlier way of being able to file direct legally whilst essentially navigating with the use of a handheld or VFR-mounted GPS. In order to genuinely fly /I using a KNS-80 would require a clusterfog of radial-dme points on a filed flight plan that would give even the most pedantic controller a headache. So yes, doing that [old school KNS-80 RNAV] would be impractical in today's GPS-waypoint dominated NAS.

assuming I misunderstood the wiki article :thumbsup:

It's doable but some airports simply don't have the non /G approaches.

Also at my home airport, the new hotness of not allowing opposite direction operation, that they've done since before I had my ticket, means if the airport is landing to the south and the only ILS is toward the north, you won't be getting any practice VFR approaches in there.

If you're flying with VORs plus a portable or VFR-only GPS, in a place with good radar coverage a common trick/crutch to facilitate off-airway navigation under IFR is to ask for/ accept a vector to some far-flung ground station that ATC wants you pointed at, followed by "go direct when able". They're happy; you're legal; win-win.

Back