Is Dan Gryder the biggest asset to aviation on youtube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you believe his story...
He did go back, but then left to raise his sons when his wife died (cancer?).

Thanks for that extra info. That would indeed be a life changing event that could motivate someone to get a non-travel job.

Living in ATL a Delta pilot would have several different non travel options to continue working available. He could also have taken a leave of absence.

Suspended after being accused of assault with a DC-3. I don't think he was ever allowed back, but I'm not certain.

He was briefly suspended after the DC-3 incident, but was back to flying status within 6 months of that. Dan eventually (a few years after the DC-3 arrest) upgraded to Captain on the DC-9 the last year that Delta flew the ex-Northwest -9s. He was offered to transition to MD-88 Captain, but chose to retire early at that point.

As to why he retired early, I can't say this is fact, but my suspicion is that he was in a good place financially and didn't really want to keep working full time as an MD-88 Captain. Dan loved his time as a wide-body FO living in base at ATL - he bragged about being able to stay in reserve status and flying one trip a month on the 777 leaving the rest of the month to play around with the DC-3 and other GA stuff. The short haul DC-9 and MD-88 schedules were a bit more demanding. In fairness to him, he went out on a high note - he really enjoyed flying the DC-9 being an dinosaur of a Douglas jet, it was right up his alley. With the MD-88, I think the juice just wasn't worth the squeeze.

Pretty sure Dan's oldest was off to college and the youngest in high school when he retired.

It was a few years after his wife passed away that he retired. His upgrade to Captain happened after she passed.

What does the size of the mans tool have to do with...... Oh wait, I get it now...

He was briefly suspended after the DC-3 incident, but was back to flying status within 6 months of that. Dan eventually (a few years after the DC-3 arrest) upgraded to Captain on the DC-9 the last year that Delta flew the ex-Northwest -9s. He was offered to transition to MD-88 Captain, but chose to retire early at that point.

As to why he retired early, I can't say this is fact, but my suspicion is that he was in a good place financially and didn't really want to keep working full time as an MD-88 Captain. Dan loved his time as a wide-body FO living in base at ATL - he bragged about being able to stay in reserve status and flying one trip a month on the 777 leaving the rest of the month to play around with the DC-3 and other GA stuff. The short haul DC-9 and MD-88 schedules were a bit more demanding. In fairness to him, he went out on a high note - he really enjoyed flying the DC-9 being an dinosaur of a Douglas jet, it was right up his alley. With the MD-88, I think the juice just wasn't worth the squeeze.

Pretty sure Dan's oldest was off to college and the youngest in high school when he retired.

If Dan really like widebody FO he could have simply bid back to it when the DC-9’s were retired or after his 2 year seat lock on the DC9 expired if they were still in service. It’s very common at Delta for narrow body Captains to downbid to widebody FO.

I barely know who this Dan guy is but you guys sure allow him to occupy a large part of you guy’s thought process online. I agree that it sounds like the guy is a mess. It sounds like the legal system has finally caught up to him. I don’t understand why people let people like him in their lives to begin with.

His "life" is of zero interest to me. What he did and does on youtube would lower my interest in his "life" even lower except that's not possible. The cause of his continuing buffoonery is irrelevant to me.

Next someone will probably reveal a Gryder horrifying incident during high school, e.g., perhaps being rejected after asking someone for a date to the prom ?

I will admit to being a little curious about the story behind the woman who has a permanent restraining order again him…

I will admit to being a little curious about the story behind the woman who has a permanent restraining order again him…
Agreed, but viewed from a distance. High drama people can be initially entertaining but they seem determined to reach out and pull others into the drama, kind of like a drowning man. Or at least that’s the advice I gave my daughter.

If Dan really like widebody FO he could have simply bid back to it when the DC-9’s were retired or after his 2 year seat lock on the DC9 expired if they were still in service. It’s very common at Delta for narrow body Captains to downbid to widebody FO.

Do early retirements puzzle you in principle? I hope you're sitting down for this, but not everybody wants to do that sh%t until 65/67, regardless of how "clubbing baby seals easy" that MLM scheme might feel for the high-longevity folks within it.

Somewhat related, I find flip-a-trike danny's early out more honorable to me, sight-unseen as a 3rd party sgoti, than the like-clockwork-triggered cases of anal glaucoma that seems to afflict 69% of 63 year olds (soon miraculously moving to 65 year olds) with a maxed out sick bank and an LTD policy.

Last edited:
Do early retirements puzzle you in principle?
It's probably more that Dan has hundreds of thousands in taxes he couldn't pay. There is a big middle ground between "early retirements being puzzling" and "retiring despite not being able to pay your bills".

It's a great idea for many people. My grandfather and father both retired in their mid-50's and enjoyed their retirement years. I don't have the money necessary to do that, so I'm still working rather than dodging taxes and setting myself up to be an extreme pauper when I'm a senior citizen.

It's rumored that DG is destitute. That isn't an admirable "early retirement."

Neither is telling lies and defaming people.

It's probably more that Dan has hundreds of thousands in taxes he couldn't pay. There is a big middle ground between "early retirements being puzzling" and "retiring despite not being able to pay your bills".

It's a great idea for many people. My grandfather and father both retired in their mid-50's and enjoyed their retirement years. I don't have the money necessary to do that, so I'm still working rather than dodging taxes and setting myself up to be an extreme pauper when I'm a senior citizen.

It's rumored that DG is destitute. That isn't an admirable "early retirement."

Neither is telling lies and defaming people.

So if I understand correctly, you guys are saying the man decides to stop working early in order to purposely have a financially insolvent life in non-working life? To what end again?

I'm not an expert in tax evasion the way you folks seem to be, I'm clearly out of my depth. Sincerely asking you gentlemen draw it out for me how this guy ends up better off in retirement by choosing to stop work early while in a financial condition that by y'alls own stipulation, he cannot afford to in the first place. To me that reads as the proposition that they guy is giving himself a $1.00 paycut in order to avoid a $0.50 cent debt. Help me understand the upside here.

What else can pilots gossip about? I may be wayy off here but hear me out:
NTSB takes two years to answer our questions leaving us to make wild guesses about accidents on here. Dan in just a few weeks can solve all accidents(just like us), by making wild guesses. We are obsessed with him because he represents us all!!
For now hes just being targeted by the gvt and set as an example to what will happen if DTSB upsets the NTSB
PS this is mostly scarcasm with a touch of truth.

I barely know who this Dan guy is but you guys sure allow him to occupy a large part of you guy’s thought process online. I agree that it sounds like the guy is a mess. It sounds like the legal system has finally caught up to him. I don’t understand why people let people like him in their lives to begin with.
about

So if I understand correctly, you guys are saying the man decides to stop working early in order to purposely have a financially insolvent life in non-working life? To what end again?
My suspicion is that he didn't decide to stop working early. The way things are lined up, it seems pretty possible that his employer decided he should stop working early. Lots of people who get let go end up in an economic mess.

In any case, it's also entirely possible that he did make the decision himself without properly accounting for what it would take to actually retire with a stable amount of money. It's not like his track record is one of universally good decision making. He might have just been wrong.

I could totally be wrong about this ... but I think when his wife got sick, [someone] "tricked" his wife into signing over power of attorney and took their nest egg.

edited to remove some relationships

Last edited:
I could totally be wrong about this ... but I think when his wife got sick, his wife's sister and maybe their mother "tricked" his wife into signing over power of attorney and took their nest egg.
That would be a good reason not to retire, right?

Did anyone confirm that he's selling his hangar? Someone posted it on facebook, but the price seemed too high to be true.

Still unconfirmed. It's either his hangar or the one next to it.
Just a reminder he filled a form with the faa complaining that the airport was improperly allowing non aviation primary uses in the hangars.

I think earlier in the thread it said he retired before she got sick.

No. She got sick and passed away before he retired. Before he upgraded to DC-9 Captain.

I don’t know if she had family money or not, but after she passed, Dan went through a painful/nasty legal fight with her parents over custody of the kids.

No. She got sick and passed away before he retired. Before he upgraded to DC-9 Captain.

I don’t know if she had family money or not, but after she passed, Dan went through a painful/nasty legal fight with her parents over custody of the kids.
Are the kids not biological to him? What an odd flex for grandparents to try to move in on a pre-existing primary custodian, absent substantiated claims of domestic violence or child neglect.

Are the kids not biological to him? What an odd flex for grandparents to try to move in on a pre-existing primary custodian, absent substantiated claims of domestic violence or child neglect.

They are his biological kids.

I only ever heard his side (they didn’t approve of him and thought he would be a bad parent), but they may have known him better than I did at the time…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back